Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaDalle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Hey there,

How do you guys think these chips will stack up each other?

Will the A6X be much better than A6? This should be comparable to the iPhone 4S vs iPad 3 (A5 vs A5X). Anyone here having both devices and telling if there is a significant difference in performance?

Just so I can imagine the differences between these chips.

Thanks, dalle.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Hey there,

Will the A6X be much better than A6? This should be comparable to the iPhone 4S vs iPad 3 (A5 vs A5X). Anyone here having both devices and telling if there is a significant difference in performance?

Thanks, dalle.

The A6X is basically just the A6 for the retina iPad.

The A5X (iPad 3) mirrors the A5 (iPhone 4S) in performance benchmarks

I would assume the A6X will be in the ballpark of the iPhone 5's A6.

yow.

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2012
From A5X to A6X (iPad 3 to 4), they claim both CPU and GPU performance was doubled.

From A5 to A6 (iPhone 4S to 5), CPU and GPU were also doubled:
- CPU was doubled by increased clock (and a process shrink offsetting the power consumption), and Apple's own home-designed core (which is probably equivalent to ARM's cortex A15).
- GPU was doubled, also be increased clock (and shrink) plus one extra graphics core. It went from dual core A5 to tri-core graphics in A6. An extra 50%.

So, logically, we'd expect the same improvements from A5X to A6X:
- increased clock (and shrink) for both CPU and GPU
- CPU redesign (maybe cortex A15-like)
- GPU increased by 50% - from 4 cores to 6 cores.

But there's a puzzle in that last one: Apple claims quad-core graphics in the A6X, not hex-core. So where is the graphics improvement coming from?
- doubling GPU clock? But that would wreck battery life
- a new GPU design - perhaps the fabled PowerVR Rogue series 6? But that would be more than double. Maybe it's massively downclocked?
- a minor GPU redesign, and overall SoC architecture improvement (e.g. increasing bandwidth). This seems most likely

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Hey there,

Thanks, dalle.

We've got A5 and A6 chips for iPhones and iPod touches.
The -X variants have more powerful GPUs to push the higher resolution displays of the retina iPads and are slightly higher clocked.

Effectively, a retina iPad delivers about the same performance as the retina iPhone.
In raw power, however, the -X variants are about two to four times as fast.

RobNor

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2010
Does anyone know if the clock speed on the GPU's have been increased on the iPad 4?
Apple say twice the speed but still only four cores

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Does anyone know if the clock speed on the GPU's have been increased on the iPad 4?

Not confirmed yet, we'll have to wait for reviews/teardowns!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The A6X is basically just the A6 for the retina iPad.

The A5X (iPad 3) mirrors the A5 (iPhone 4S) in performance benchmarks

I would assume the A6X will be in the ballpark of the iPhone 5's A6.

I think this is a pretty good theory. My iPad 3 does seem to perform as well as my iPhone 4s.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
The "X" versions use classified, military-grade technology recovered from crashed alien spacecraft.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
He doesn't. It's all speculation at this point until we see the first benchmarks/teardowns.

thats what i thought. i think ALOT of those 1gb is used for the retina display, and cant be used for texture cache ect.....My guess is 2gb ram.

DaDalle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Since both the iPhone 5 and iPad have 1GB ram I guess the iPad 4 will have it too. But 2GB would be really cool!

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011

Still? The A5X had only a dual-core processor, only the GPU was quad.

----------

2gb because powerful graphics and CPU like the ipad 4 has now, would be to limited with 1gb of ram.

It will not have 2gb. My jailbroken iPad 3 shows me the available RAM at any given moment, and I can tell you right now, having 2 gigs would only really show improvements in very graphic intensive games and websites. As of right now, nearly any app can run and still manage over 500mb of ram remaining. I have over 750mb when just sitting on the springboard with no apps in the background.

sehjoon

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
Hmm...

Since both the iPhone 5 and iPad have 1GB ram I guess the iPad 4 will have it too. But 2GB would be really cool!

Because apple IOS doesn't requires huge scale of spec, I think it wouldn't be 2gb ram on apple ones...:(

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Hey there,

Thanks, dalle.

Benchmark

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,186

TickleMeElmo

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2012
From A5X to A6X (iPad 3 to 4), they claim both CPU and GPU performance was doubled.

From A5 to A6 (iPhone 4S to 5), CPU and GPU were also doubled:
- CPU was doubled by increased clock (and a process shrink offsetting the power consumption), and Apple's own home-designed core (which is probably equivalent to ARM's cortex A15).
- GPU was doubled, also be increased clock (and shrink) plus one extra graphics core. It went from dual core A5 to tri-core graphics in A6. An extra 50%.

So, logically, we'd expect the same improvements from A5X to A6X:
- increased clock (and shrink) for both CPU and GPU
- CPU redesign (maybe cortex A15-like)
- GPU increased by 50% - from 4 cores to 6 cores.

But there's a puzzle in that last one: Apple claims quad-core graphics in the A6X, not hex-core. So where is the graphics improvement coming from?
- doubling GPU clock? But that would wreck battery life
- a new GPU design - perhaps the fabled PowerVR Rogue series 6? But that would be more than double. Maybe it's massively downclocked?
- a minor GPU redesign, and overall SoC architecture improvement (e.g. increasing bandwidth). This seems most likely

A15 is definitely more powerful than then A6 however it was never really meant to be a smartphone processor and is more targetted at server markets. A6 includes some of the instruction sets if A15 but it is markedly slower in terms of processing power.

I member reading that the GPU increase was due to the use of a better core and higher clock rates enabled by the move to a smaller lithography.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.