Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Gabichon
macrumors member

2012 iMac ventilation

Hello

The 2012 iMac is nice looking, has a good CPU, a decent GPU, okay.
What about cooling down all that stuff? I only see holes on the bottom of the machine.. is it just me? There should be holes at the top too for good ventilation?

If that's not the case then I doubt that machine will run cool :/
Gabichon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:44 PM   #2
28Gauge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabichon View Post
Hello

What about cooling down all that stuff? I only see holes on the bottom of the machine.. is it just me? There should be holes at the top too for good ventilation?

It is curious that the vents are on the bottom since heat rises.
Airport Extreme (5th Gen), Apple TV (3rd Gen)
28Gauge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:46 PM   #3
Mister Bumbo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Gauge View Post
It is curious that the vents are on the bottom since heat rises.
Aren't those air intake? There's a "grill" of some sort just below where the computer is attached to the stand?

Edit: Here you can see what I mean! http://images.apple.com/imac/perform...usion_hero.jpg
Mister Bumbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:48 PM   #4
28Gauge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Bumbo View Post
Aren't those air intake? There's a "grill" of some sort just below where the computer is attached to the stand?
You might be correct on the intakes.
Airport Extreme (5th Gen), Apple TV (3rd Gen)
28Gauge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:49 PM   #5
El Awesome
macrumors 6502

I was wondering too.
I hope that there won't be MacBook-Pro-like fans that make jet-noise if you put some load on the machine.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Gabichon
macrumors member

Quote:

Edit: Here you can see what I mean! http://images.apple.com/imac/perform...usion_hero.jpg
Maybe but on my mid-2011 it is an intake. Even if it would be an outtake it would be too small... Mmmh...
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Dougie83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Hello

Didn't I hear him say that it only uses 50% of the power of its predecessor. Maybe runs cooler for that reason and ventilation is adequate. I guess Apple will have tested that aspect.
Dougie83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
Gabichon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie83 View Post
Didn't I hear him say that it only uses 50% of the power of its predecessor. Maybe runs cooler for that reason and ventilation is adequate. I guess Apple will have tested that aspect.
I'm not sure if I'm correct on this but I think they said 50% less energy when idle.
Gabichon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Dougie83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm correct on this but I think they said 50% less energy when idle.
Yes, that could be right. Can't be bothered to re-run the presentation again to get the definitive answer.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:13 PM   #10
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Apple's cooling has never been state of the art. I wouldn't be surprised if there are reported cooling issues in the near future
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:14 PM   #11
blanka
macrumors 68000

On the bottom are both intakes and outlets. And Ivy is baked on 22nm instead of 32nm, so that means half the heat at the same performance. They probably dropped the max brightness a bit, so that cuts the heat production by half.
blanka is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:20 PM   #12
Gabichon
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
Apple's cooling has never been state of the art. I wouldn't be surprised if there are reported cooling issues in the near future
Well, on my mid 2011 the ventilation is pretty good (I use smcfancontrol)
But I think that it'll be a problem on the 2012 model.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanka View Post
On the bottom are both intakes and outlets. And Ivy is baked on 22nm instead of 32nm, so that means half the heat at the same performance. They probably dropped the max brightness a bit, so that cuts the heat production by half.
Where did you get that information? (that the bottom holes are both intakes and outlets)
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:23 PM   #13
Dougie83
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
I suppose it depends on whether you live in Alaska or Nevada. Lol
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:28 PM   #14
sammyQc
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to sammyQc
Quote:

Good find. I guess these take hot air from the processor out of the machine.
Looking at the inside they showed and giving the fans I guess air flows in and out at the bottom.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:53 PM   #15
motrek
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyQc View Post
Good find. I guess these take hot air from the processor out of the machine.
Looking at the inside they showed and giving the fans I guess air flows in and out at the bottom.
I only see one fan.

For some reason it's *above* the heatsink and rear vent. I don't know what the idea is there. Suck cool air in from the bottom, blow hot air at it from the top, and see which direction wins? And hope that some goes sideways out the vent?
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:14 PM   #16
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
I only see one fan.

For some reason it's *above* the heatsink and rear vent. I don't know what the idea is there. Suck cool air in from the bottom, blow hot air at it from the top, and see which direction wins? And hope that some goes sideways out the vent?
It's an exhaust fan that probably has an air guide to the vents in the back.

Looks to me like cool air will draft in at the bottom and hot air will get blown out the vent in the back, right near the CPU/GPU which is where you need to get rid of that heat.

Edit: If you look carefully you can see a heat pipe on the logic board. It goes from the GPU on the left to the CPU in the center, and then probably to a heatsink that spans across those back vents. The fan is blowing air from inside the case through that heatsink and out the back of the case.
Stetrain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:22 AM   #17
Tucson Allen
macrumors member

Heating and Cooling

Iíve been looking at the heating angle. The new CPU is cooler but itís the GPU that puts out the most heat, and the new one puts out more. But the heat news is not all bad. Just below the pedestal mount thereís a square grill to let the air flow out. There are air inlets at the bottom. The CPU fan looks to exit near the vent. The GPU fan is concealed; the unit is slightly above the top of the vent line, to the left looking with the screen removed. The HHD is to the right, a bit farther up. Its fan is not obvious. This presents balanced heat-sources: left, center, and right, tending to concentrate about half way up. The fact that the vent is square suggests to me that air flow is more complex than in my old iMac (more below).

The fans do not draw air in through the bottom in an important way, but mostly create local circulation patterns. The heat of operation creates rising convection currents, drawing air in at the bottom. The expanding heated air creates a slight pressure rise with a flow out of the vent as a result. The fact that the vents are not along the top, as in my 2006 iMac, is at first glance surprising. In my iMac convection draws like a chimney. But the rear of the new model bulges in the middle, slightly farther out than the 2011 iMac. I think this creates a secondary convection flow from each side tending toward the center. Hot air accumulating at the top would contribute to the heating of the aluminum back generally (which cools by radiation and enhances the convection flow). Now Apple could put the vents on the back anywhere they chose. I think that they chose to maximize the cooling effect when they put them where they did. And I think a good deal of the room for the thinness is created by the new mounting of the display. I would guess that volumetrically the space behind the screens is comparable in the two models.
Tucson Allen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:58 AM   #18
djrod
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by motrek View Post
I only see one fan.

Kinda

Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:03 AM   #19
djrod
macrumors 6502a

this is where the heat leaves the machine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2012-10-24 a la(s) 11.01.36.png
Views:	80
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	371805  
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:04 AM   #20
Mister Bumbo
macrumors 6502

I find it odd how some people seem to believe that Apple actually did not test these new iMacs, for all we know they could be cooler than previous generations! Heat dissipation is not a linear curve nor as simple as just adding more fans and vents. Looking forward to the reviews on this 'issue'!
Mister Bumbo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:07 AM   #21
Qutrit
macrumors newbie

I am also worried about the ability of this new iMac to dissipate all the heat in the top-tier configuration.

Let's say maxed GPU running heavy load, maxed processor at max turbo boost and intense SSD/HDD use... I know Apple engineers are clever but such a thin machine and so much heat... It makes me wonder how in hell this is gonna work...

Anyone thinking of buying the top configuration and maybe waiting a bit longer to see if there are really any problems?
Qutrit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:09 AM   #22
Mister Bumbo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qutrit View Post
Anyone thinking of buying the top configuration and maybe waiting a bit longer to see if there are really any problems?
Yep!
Mister Bumbo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:10 AM   #23
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
I find it odd how some people seem to believe that Apple actually did not test these new iMacs, for all we know they could be cooler than previous generations! Heat dissipation is not a linear curve nor as simple as just adding more fans and vents. Looking forward to the reviews on this 'issue'!
Their previous history when it comes to heat, iMacs and MBPs suggest that testing has not been very thorough.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:10 AM   #24
JustMartin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well, the world is just full of people who are more expert in heat generation and dissipation than Apple.
JustMartin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:12 AM   #25
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMartin View Post
Well, the world is just full of people who are more expert in heat generation and dissipation than Apple.
Posts like this are really helpful. It does not take a genius to realise when something is running too hot, if one is looking at the correct gauges. You don't need to sit here and apologise for all of Apple's engineering/design mistakes.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac