Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Well not really..

But the size looks so great. iMessage included with number with iOS 6. I really do think a lot of people will tether to the iPad or get the cellular one and use it more than the iPhone in their pocked. That will be me, iPad mini comes with me everywhere. I think I'll be using my iPhone for calls only. 95% of my contacts have iMessage so for texting iPad mini does the job too!

sou1 so1di3r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Denver, CO
Well not really..

But the size looks so great. iMessage included with number with iOS 6. I really do think a lot of people will tether to the iPad or get the cellular one and use it more than the iPhone in their pocked. That will be me, iPad mini comes with me everywhere. I think I'll be using my iPhone for calls only. 95% of my contacts have iMessage so for texting iPad mini does the job too!

right cuz people are going to totally want to carry a 7" tablet everywhere. are you serious? :rolleyes:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
A 7.9" phone? Lol. Phablet are the next big thing for phones. (5"-5.5").

mrcalabash

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
I went from iPhone 4 to iPhone 5. I have an iPad 2, and I'm fine with that, but my wife is sticking with her iPhone 4, and getting the iPad mini with cellular.

She always carries a purse, so the mini is the perfect size and weight for portability. No issue of fitting into a pocket. The old iPhone will become more and more a phone, and the iPad mini will be for everything else, including the latest iOS apps, features, etc.

(Re today's presentation. Ironic that for the mini, Apple is pushing how their small tablet is bigger than the competiton, but for the phone they're pushing that it's smaller than the competiton. That said, they're saying the mini is both smaller and bigger--thinner. Meanwhile, Samsumg which is pushing how the S3 has a bigger screen is also coming out with a smaller screen phone. So everyone is all over the map and saying whatever they think they need to for each product.)

lamewing

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2005
Well not really..

Already planning on dumping my AT&T contract (attached to my wife's account) and getting an iPad Mini as my phone/tablet. I RARELY use my minutes, so they are just a waste of money. I can pay the same and get twice the data usage. Combine that with Skype, Facetime, iMessage, Google Voice (for SMS) and I am set.

For longer phone calls I will tether my iPhone 4 (soon to be an iPod Touch wannabe) to the iPad Mini when making Skype or Facetime calls. Hmmmm...I wonder if that is a way to get around the AT&T Facetime limitation...

No more contract, No more contracts!!!!

GeorgieAcevedo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
New York City
Already planning on dumping my AT&T contract (attached to my wife's account) and getting an iPad Mini as my phone/tablet. I RARELY use my minutes, so they are just a waste of money. I can pay the same and get twice the data usage. Combine that with Skype, Facetime, iMessage, Google Voice (for SMS) and I am set.

For longer phone calls I will tether my iPhone 4 (soon to be an iPod Touch wannabe) to the iPad Mini when making Skype or Facetime calls. Hmmmm...I wonder if that is a way to get around the AT&T Facetime limitation...

No more contract, No more contracts!!!!

Please report back to me. I wonder how this goes for ya :D

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
One of my friends had the logic that he would wait for the iPad mini, get rid of his iPhone, get a dumb phone and just use the tablet for his internet related stuff on Wi-fi. He wanted a tablet because his co-workers all had one. I don't understand the logic.

I'd rather have a phone that has all the workings with the mp3 player, true mobile web device (through the network), and a phone in one than have two devices one of which I would not enjoy carrying around (mini iPad).

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
Yet I have this premonition that regardless of your (iPhone for calls) intentions and owning iPhone 5, you'll end up getting iPhone 7 as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.