Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanstewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Hi everybody!

As the title describes, I was wondering if there was any word on whether or not we'll see updated Smart Cases for the 4th gen iPad, now that it has the new Lightning connector. I think I'm going to pre-order an iPad Friday, and wanted to stick the Smart Case in the cart as well, but I'll hold off if they make a new one with a smaller cutout at the bottom.

Thanks!

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Hi everybody!

As the title describes, I was wondering if there was any word on whether or not we'll see updated Smart Cases for the 4th gen iPad, now that it has the new Lightning connector. I think I'm going to pre-order an iPad Friday, and wanted to stick the Smart Case in the cart as well, but I'll hold off if they make a new one with a smaller cutout at the bottom.

Thanks!

Nope. They're selling the old Smart Case on their website and it states it is compatible with iPads Gen 2, 3, and 4. If it were tweaked with a smaller opening for the 4th gen, they would not be able to say it is compatible with the 2nd and 3rd since the old dock connector wouldn't be able to fit through the hole. I also don't see them releasing a new Smart Case with the smaller hole for the lightning connector on the 4th gen - if they wanted to do that, they would have done it today. Don't buy that thing anyway. It's awful as far as fit.

ryanstewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Nope. They're selling the old Smart Case on their website and it states it is compatible with iPads Gen 2, 3, and 4. If it were tweaked with a smaller opening for the 4th gen, they would not be able to say it is compatible with the 2nd and 3rd since the old dock connector wouldn't be able to fit through the hole. I also don't see them releasing a new Smart Case with the smaller hole for the lightning connector on the 4th gen - if they wanted to do that, they would have done it today. Don't buy that thing anyway. It's awful as far as fit.

Interesting, I've always found them to fit well. On the new iPad, that is, not the iPad 2.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Interesting, I've always found them to fit well. On the new iPad, that is, not the iPad 2.

The ones I got I purchased back in the first month they were released, so perhaps they were refitted. I had two- one each for an iPad 2 and 3, and wound up returning both.

Reser

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010

What ARE you on about?

Why would the Smart cover have a "hole" for the connector of the iPad, its a COVER, it covers the screen, it does not cover the bottom where the connector goes in, they have no "holes" for connectors. They are flat.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
What ARE you on about?

Why would the Smart cover have a "hole" for the connector of the iPad, its a COVER, it covers the screen, it does not cover the bottom where the connector goes in, they have no "holes" for connectors. They are flat.

Smart CASES

I suggest, in order to avoid future embarrassments in which you make a complete fool out of yourself to:

1) Read
2) Re-read
3) Re-re-read

Sep 10, 2012
I'd actually like them to change the smart COVER for the full sized iPad to be like the version for the iPad Mini.

I never bought one for my iPad because the metal hinges can and do scratch the side of the iPad ... but I'd get the newer design if they released it for the regular sized iPad.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I'd actually like them to change the smart COVER for the full sized iPad to be like the version for the iPad Mini.

I never bought one for my iPad because the metal hinges can and do scratch the side of the iPad ... but I'd get the newer design if they released it for the regular sized iPad.

I was concerned about this very thing when it seemed we'd get the anodized mini. This new version looks to alleviate those concerns by removing metal to metal contact. I'm sure they'll make a full sized version, but it might not come until the 5th gen when I am guessing we'll get a thinner anodized design.

Sep 10, 2012
I was concerned about this very thing when it seemed we'd get the anodized mini. This new version looks to alleviate those concerns by removing metal to metal contact. I'm sure they'll make a full sized version, but it might not come until the 5th gen when I am guessing we'll get a thinner anodized design.

... I hope they do it sooner!

Are you buying a new iPad? Mini or 4th gen?

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
... I hope they do it sooner!

Are you buying a new iPad? Mini or 4th gen?

I think I'm going to go mini. I love the size and I've wanted a Kindle sized iPad for a long time. The reduced weight sounds fantastic, especially simce i want to use itas a reader. I wish it had a better processor and display, but I'll manage.

I think I'll get a Smart Cover for it, but what I think would really be great at this size would be a BookBook cover.

By the way, I did some comparison measurements using the dimensions from Apple's online store. The mini is pretty close to the size of a DVD case. It's 1/10th of an inch wider and 1/2 inch longer than the case. I even have an Xbox game that, according to Amazon, is the approximate weight of the mini. I'm very happy with the results if this is what we're getting.

Sep 10, 2012
I wish it had a better processor and display, but I'll manage ...

... iPad Mini 2!

Nice one re the size comparison re the Xbox CD case size ... I'll check that out when I get home a bit later.

BTW, a big BF3 player on Xbox here ... are you a fellow BF3 vet or more of a COD gamer?

Currently working my way through Demon's Souls on my PS3, too ... the game is MERECELESS!

Most difficult game I think I have ever played ...

ryanstewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Cool stuff. I've decided to go with a 16GB 4th gen iPad (coming from 32GB iPad 2), with a Smart Case, and an amFilm screen protector (by far my favorite screen protectors...way better than Zagg's IMO, and a fraction of the cost).

I'm psyched! I'll set an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night Friday morning to put in the preorder, haha.

Sep 10, 2012
I'm psyched! I'll set an alarm to wake up in the middle of the night Friday morning to put in the preorder, haha.

... dude, not a joking matter. Make sure you do exactly that (be ready to hit the order button at just after midnight!) or the shipping time will probably increase no-end in no-time!

Hope you get what you want in good time ;-)

The initial "I'm really pissed off that my 3rd gen iPad is now old news!!" knee-jerk reaction has now subsided a bit so I think I'll stick with my 64gb + cellular 'til the next refresh.

Was really unimpressed when I first heard that they'd updated them so soon, though!

Enjoy ...

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2008
I was also curious whether there will be a Smart Case designed for the iPad 4, but I guess Apple will keep selling the iPad 3 Smart Case and we will have to use it. Too bad the opening for the 30-pin port will be huge and it will probably look quite ugly with the new iPad 4 with its ultra small Lightning port. :(

ryanstewart

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
... dude, not a joking matter. Make sure you do exactly that (be ready to hit the order button at just after midnight!) or the shipping time will probably increase no-end in no-time!

Hope you get what you want in good time ;-)

The initial "I'm really pissed off that my 3rd gen iPad is now old news!!" knee-jerk reaction has now subsided a bit so I think I'll stick with my 64gb + cellular 'til the next refresh.

Was really unimpressed when I first heard that they'd updated them so soon, though!

Enjoy ...

Haha, yeah. I stayed up for the iPhone 4s preorder. Started at midnight, finally put my order in at 2:30 AM. Servers got completely destroyed...I'm hoping the iPad won't bring the same. We'll see!

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

I just bought one and I think it fits well. What doesn't fit about it?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'll be on deck for a 3rd party like Incipio or Speck :)

Plus, with the revised connector, there won't be [as many] iPad 2 products being sold as "3rd Gen Compatible" (assuming it's a smaller Lightening cutout). I have a Belkin on my 3rd gen, sold as iPpad 2/3, but the fitment was extremely tight and ultimately it failed from too much stress on the corner tabs.

An ultra thin rear cover + Apple Smart Cover is a great combo. Front and rear protection, built in stand, and the front cover easily removed if you want to use it without (one reason I don't like the rear covers that "lock" the Smart cover on the front).

:cool:

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I just bought one and I think it fits well. What doesn't fit about it?

I can't speak for people who purchase now. I purchased months ago and they were lose, on both the iPad 2 and 3. I had to use felt to fill in the extra space and even that didn't work 100%. If they've been altered by Apple to be more snug, that's great to hear and definitely a good thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.