macrumors newbie

iPod touch vs iPad mini

which seems better for a student?
rdavila is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
KylePowers
macrumors 68000

What will you be using it for?

Do you already have a smartphone? Do you already have a music player? What kind of computer do you have?
KylePowers is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:55 PM   #3
rdavila
macrumors newbie

Particularly to take notes, record classes, and pass the time between classes. I currently have an ipod touch 4 gen, but it does not last long at school. i have been given the option to return it for either a new 64 gb iPod touch (5g) or i could pay 30 dollars extra and get the 32 gb ipad mini. One of the things i am worried about with the ipad however, is it carriability(?), as with the ipod i could just slip it in my pocket. with the ipad however i would have to carry it around by hand. thoughts?
rdavila is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Gaelic2
macrumors 6502

I thought about this as well and I bought the iPod touch because of its portability. I can carry it in a shirt pocket. I have an iPad 3 that works well as long as I don't have to carry it around all day. The iPT has a great camera and my definition of a great camera is the one you have with you when you need it. I can read my book on either device and check e mail, surf the web etc on either. The larger screen on the pad makes it much easier but I like the portability option. Taking note would be difficult and if you need to do this, go for the iPad.
Gaelic2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:26 PM   #5
Alex72
macrumors member

While an iPod Touch is eminently more portable in more pocket types, the new iPad Mini will probably fit just fine in larger pockets, such as those found on trenchcoats and the more loose-fitting trousers. Being as we're in autumn now, and with winter said to be coming soon after, I think you'll find that many of the pieces of outerwear you'll have on can hold an iPM. Even if you don't wear such coats or trousers, you could probably get the inside pocket of a blazer or sport coat modified to hold one at your local tailor.
Alex72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:12 AM   #6
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavila View Post
Particularly to take notes, record classes, and pass the time between classes. I currently have an ipod touch 4 gen, but it does not last long at school. i have been given the option to return it for either a new 64 gb iPod touch (5g) or i could pay 30 dollars extra and get the 32 gb ipad mini. One of the things i am worried about with the ipad however, is it carriability(?), as with the ipod i could just slip it in my pocket. with the ipad however i would have to carry it around by hand. thoughts?
I like my Touch 5g but there's no way I would use it to take notes. As others noted, the iPad Mini would fit in a coat pocket or cargo pants pocket. It would be infinitely better for note taking.

I thought all students carried backpacks. :-)
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Saturn007
macrumors regular

Just make sure that you ask your prof whether you may record the class. In fact, you should ask and get permission from *all* the students in the class.

Not only is that the best etiquette, in many states, it's against the law to record others without their permission!
Saturn007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2013, 01:48 PM   #8
blanka
macrumors 65816

Does it have to be Apple?
Nexus 7
Asus Fonepad HD (which is both tablet and cellphone bigger than a Galaxy Note yet half price).
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2013, 04:44 PM   #9
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

This could definitely be a little irritating to carry around, but if you happen to have an Apple bluetooth keyboard, you can pair it with an iPod Touch or iPhone. For note-taking, it's really the size of the keyboard that matters more than the screen, I'd imagine.

If budget allows, though, I'd just get a used 11" Macbook Air — typing on an iPad just sucks.
curmudgeon32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2013, 05:14 PM   #10
itjw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon32 View Post
This could definitely be a little irritating to carry around, but if you happen to have an Apple bluetooth keyboard, you can pair it with an iPod Touch or iPhone. For note-taking, it's really the size of the keyboard that matters more than the screen, I'd imagine.

If budget allows, though, I'd just get a used 11" Macbook Air typing on an iPad just sucks.
THIS

I take my mini in and out of depositions all the time, and have a $19 mini bluetooth keyboard that I love (it's about the size of a smartphone, and Amazon still sells em... you can even save a few bucks and get them straight from China if you aren't in a hurry). I can use it with my phone too in a pinch, but bleh....

Get the mini. Period. The touch is cool and all, but I would never, ever, use my phone to take more than casual notes. It's like using your phone. The mini is an infinitely better option.
itjw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2013, 09:14 PM   #11
coachingguy
macrumors 6502

Mini, 'nuff said.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:57 PM   #12
preyan
macrumors regular

For mostly using it for music, iPod touch.
For everything else, iPad mini

Touch can be quite uncomfortable trying to take notes in its tiny screen. Or even for watching videos.
preyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:04 AM   #13
alexlovesmacs
macrumors 6502a

iPad mini, you will not regret it.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:42 AM   #14
Yell0w
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by itjw View Post
THIS

I take my mini in and out of depositions all the time, and have a $19 mini bluetooth keyboard that I love (it's about the size of a smartphone, and Amazon still sells em... you can even save a few bucks and get them straight from China if you aren't in a hurry). I can use it with my phone too in a pinch, but bleh....

Get the mini. Period. The touch is cool and all, but I would never, ever, use my phone to take more than casual notes. It's like using your phone. The mini is an infinitely better option.
I have seen this in class today. iPad mini with a keyboard attached. It looked very nice and the guy was just typing away whenever the professor was talking. Very convenient!! Cause laptops are mostly big and bulky.
Yell0w is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:22 AM   #15
Saturn007
macrumors regular

We have all of those combos--and, if I were a student again, I'd agree with the suggestion of a used MacBook Air, especially if this is your only device.

They are light-weight (not much more than an iPad Mini-keyboard combo), powerful, and full-fledged computers (meaning that you can run all sorts of programs, including technical ones--e.g., statistical packages).

The iPad Mini--bluetooth keyboard combo works OK, but it means juggling two different items, having to turn on an extra device, and having to prop the Mini at the right angle--which means Disaster City awaits your on those small seat-desks in classrooms, and you're shut out from running major desktop programs. You also could need a foldable carry stand for the Mini-- some of the cases can work, but they can also add bulk. I've also seen ones that are so tippy they can make the Mini fall over.

OTOH, typing on a MacBook Air is like typing on a brick. Almost any bluetooth keyboard--especially full-sized ones--will be more comfortable. The HUGE bezel around the screen on the MBAs is off-putting, too.

There is really only one way of determining which is best for you-- try them in a store, but also, if you can, try them in a classroom and see how it would work. You'll know pretty quickly which would be best.

Bottom line, however, relative to your original question-- I agree 100% with others--an iPad Mini will be much better than an iPod Touch-- much, much better for taking notes and for just about everything-- save sticking it in your shirt pocket to listen to podcasts while walking! The Mini won't fit!
Saturn007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:50 AM   #16
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn007 View Post
We have all of those combos--and, if I were a student again, I'd agree with the suggestion of a used MacBook Air, especially if this is your only device.

They are light-weight (not much more than an iPad Mini-keyboard combo), powerful, and full-fledged computers (meaning that you can run all sorts of programs, including technical ones--e.g., statistical packages).

The iPad Mini--bluetooth keyboard combo works OK, but it means juggling two different items, having to turn on an extra device, and having to prop the Mini at the right angle--which means Disaster City awaits your on those small seat-desks in classrooms, and you're shut out from running major desktop programs. You also could need a foldable carry stand for the Mini-- some of the cases can work, but they can also add bulk. I've also seen ones that are so tippy they can make the Mini fall over.

OTOH, typing on a MacBook Air is like typing on a brick. Almost any bluetooth keyboard--especially full-sized ones--will be more comfortable. The HUGE bezel around the screen on the MBAs is off-putting, too.

There is really only one way of determining which is best for you-- try them in a store, but also, if you can, try them in a classroom and see how it would work. You'll know pretty quickly which would be best.

Bottom line, however, relative to your original question-- I agree 100% with others--an iPad Mini will be much better than an iPod Touch-- much, much better for taking notes and for just about everything-- save sticking it in your shirt pocket to listen to podcasts while walking! The Mini won't fit!
What do you mean the iPad mini doesn't fit in your shirt pocket?

BTW, I agree with others here that the iPad mini is much more useful than an iPod touch. I have a few iPod touches lying around from the days before we gave the kids iPhones. I had an iPad 1 and now I use an iPad mini. I take it with me anywhere I need to take notes in a meeting or refer to large volumes of reference material on the go. My 15 in MBP never leaves my desk.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 12:24 PM   #17
crzdcolombian
macrumors 6502a

the touch is 1/2 the size of the mini.....

Better question is should you get a iphone or a touch.

I am not really a fan of the ipad mini. I have one and just use it to read comic books or books I get off the internet. I got it because my job gave me a free Microsoft Surface(for winning a contest... also gave me a xbox & galaxy 4 they need to start giving Apple stuff !!) and I traded it for a iPad mini + money(my friend later regretted it).

I feel a labtop + iPhone/ipod touch is enough. I am not a fan of bringing my labtop every where because I use it more as a desktop.

As for the touch. It's very hard to write notes on a touch/iphone at least to me. It would be easier on the mini.

That being said it depends on what items you have. I have a iphone, ipad mini and macbook air. I think the 3 are kind of over kill.
crzdcolombian is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice