Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:28 PM   #101
Jayygasm
macrumors newbie

I'm apparently on my 27th day of owning an iPad 3 so I shall be forcefully trying to return it tomorrow for the new one. Lets hope the Apple foot soldiers are in a good mood.
Jayygasm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:33 PM   #102
kaniSS
macrumors newbie

Stuff you Apple!!!!!. I just picked up the ipad3 exactly 33 days ago.

I emailed my store, lets see if they upgrade me for free, if not I will cause a scene. It always works.
kaniSS is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:48 PM   #103
nikhsub1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
Were iPhone 4S owners who bought their phone 7 months before the iPhone 5 was announced "scammed" too?
No they are just stupid. Apple has been updating every iOS device ONCE A YEAR. This ipad update came at 7 months, sooner than expected and leaves those who bought it with a bad taste in their mouths. If you can't understand that you need more help than what this online forum can give.
nikhsub1 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:49 PM   #104
nealh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCP View Post
I think most of the changes we're seeing lately with Apple's approach to products have all to do with Cook's approach to the way the company operates. He's not a product guy like Steve was and his approach has all to do with economic efficiency. He wants to make Apple profitable as it never was. Of course this leads to loss of identity and if they start indeed releasing products within shorter periods of time, their product launches will stop being the phenomenon they used to be and will instead just be the release of another upgrade.

I don't feel the release of a new retina ipad today was a scam. I think the scam of this presentation was introducing the ipad mini as a new product, when it is basically a smaller ipad 2. This is clearly Apple wanting to go in direct competition with the Samapsung Note segment of devices.
Wether or not this is a clever strategy, only time will tell, but I do see the company falling into the same sort of product fragmentation it suffered from before Steve's return in the mid 90's. The ipad mini may be light and look pretty, but hardware wise it's rubbish for today's standards and even for Apple's own standards. The bigger sized iPhone, smaller sized ipad are all signs that Apple wants to compete head to head with the same segments of the android phones. Now, we all know how **** Android hardware generally is. Android is the PC of mobile devices, fragmented and without personality.
One of Apple's biggest weapons until now was the emotional connection its customers established with their products. Direct competition with the PC market was never Apple's top priority until now. The company always wanted to offer a solids state if the art alternative to PC. You paid premium and you got premium.

I feel all this going away lately. You pay premium for a product that comes with defects. my *used to be new* ipad is an example of that... I got it less than a month ago and the first one had 2 dead pixels and a stuff under the screen. this one has 1 dead pixel and light leaking in top. I might try to get it exchanged but I'm not going to rush into that because the point of the question isn't that there's a slightly better ipad out today. The point is that Apple is wanting to grow to a point which sacrifices its former premium service.
That may very well mark the beginning of a dark phase for the company. They may be the biggest company in the world, but so was Microsoft in the 90's and that didn't stop them from releasing trash after trash.

Even the release only now of the 13" rMBP is a freaking scam! I mean, when they released the 15" version the retina ipad was already out. So they could make a 15" model, a 10" tablet but couldn't make a 13" laptop? Of course they could! The decision to delay it was deliberate so they could make a couple extra bucks with the early adopters of the 15" model.

My 2 cents.
Interesting comments for sure. The problem is QC was falling with Jobs at the helm. Go look back at issues over the last few years.

As for fragmentation, to point these seems a return in history for Apple, but I am pretty sure we are still seeing products that had Jobs' blessing at this point.

They needed to change the iPhone to a larger screen but failing to make it wider was not good. However, the thinness and weight reduction is amazing. The problem is they like to leave off some hardware. When they innovated to the orginial iPhone they where light years ahead-software and hardware.

Apple likes small incremental changes and in the fast changing smartphone hardware market, they seem stale at times.
NFC is an example, I am not sure it is ready for prime time yet but I think Apple should have included it, to move their hardware beyond the competition. They would have done the software implementation to max. its use and help move it to a new industry standard.

But again I am not sure where the tech is yet, maybe too new.

As for the iPad mini, I realize they are starting to get too many models. What I think Steve would have done is dropped iPad line to iPad mini and iPad4(nothing else-keep it simple and stream lined not to confuse people).

The Laptops are getting very messy. Keep the Air for now non-retina and Pro line is all retina displays. The only issue is the price for the retina display, I guess. Is there really that great of a premium on 13 and 15in screen vs 9.7?

Apple needs to becareful not to fall in the trap of the late 90s. After reading Jobs biography from Walter Isaacson, I beleive the talent to keep the products truly amazing is their but Cook needs to keep fusion of humanities &art/tech high on priority list...as much as if not more than profit to maintain the Apple culture and success.
nealh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:03 PM   #105
RJCP
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post
Interesting comments for sure. The problem is QC was falling with Jobs at the helm. Go look back at issues over the last few years.

As for fragmentation, to point these seems a return in history for Apple, but I am pretty sure we are still seeing products that had Jobs' blessing at this point.

They needed to change the iPhone to a larger screen but failing to make it wider was not good. However, the thinness and weight reduction is amazing. The problem is they like to leave off some hardware. When they innovated to the orginial iPhone they where light years ahead-software and hardware.

Apple likes small incremental changes and in the fast changing smartphone hardware market, they seem stale at times.
NFC is an example, I am not sure it is ready for prime time yet but I think Apple should have included it, to move their hardware beyond the competition. They would have done the software implementation to max. its use and help move it to a new industry standard.

But again I am not sure where the tech is yet, maybe too new.

As for the iPad mini, I realize they are starting to get too many models. What I think Steve would have done is dropped iPad line to iPad mini and iPad4(nothing else-keep it simple and stream lined not to confuse people).

The Laptops are getting very messy. Keep the Air for now non-retina and Pro line is all retina displays. The only issue is the price for the retina display, I guess. Is there really that great of a premium on 13 and 15in screen vs 9.7?

Apple needs to becareful not to fall in the trap of the late 90s. After reading Jobs biography from Walter Isaacson, I beleive the talent to keep the products truly amazing is their but Cook needs to keep fusion of humanities &art/tech high on priority list...as much as if not more than profit to maintain the Apple culture and success.
Yes, excellent point about the laptops. They are getting extremely diverse with retina ones, non retina ones... What will happen when they update the MBAs to retina in a couple of months? Will you also have the non retina ones available?

I think Apple could really push the market forward if they introduced retina as the norm for their laptop lines. I understand the challenges of Retina displays on the iMac line, but if they can already make 13" and 15" retina laptops and 10" retina tablet computers, what is stopping them, other than greed, from releasing retina MacBook Air?

The point about QC you mention is inherent to the whole process of expansion. The more you start multiplying your production lines with several factories and all, the more QC is bound to suffer. I don't know how it is managed at Apple's manufacturers, but in my opinion, Apple should have a QC team trained in the company's headquarters and totally independent of Foxconn and the remaining manufacturers. That would be the only way of assuring a standard quality control guided by the same basic guidelines.
RJCP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:10 PM   #106
xanagu
Banned

They copied this from Google
xanagu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:11 PM   #107
Medic311
macrumors 68000

i am on my 20th date of my iPad 3.

i am going to give this a shot tomorrow after work...
Medic311 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:14 PM   #108
womble2k2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorschach View Post
Were iPhone 4S owners who bought their phone 7 months before the iPhone 5 was announced "scammed" too?
Well said. I'm still 110% happy with my 4s. It does everything I need. Yes, the 5 has some nice new features, is quicker, etc, but what products don't develop over time.

When I was in my early 20s, I built what was at the time, the ultimate gaming PC I could for a £1,800 budget. The graphics card, motherboard, CPU, memory, etc were all classed as top end at the time. Just 3 months later, the same components were mid-end products, and a year later were struggling to match the performance if budget components. I could have built the PC to a similar spec, one year later for around £600, but in reality, I would have simply chosen better components and build a better machine.

What I ended up doing is replacing components over time. Obviously iPads are not user upgradable but over time, you can sell on iDevices and buy newer ones. I've lost count of the number of phones, iPods, computers, etc I have sold over time to fund the next purchase, sometimes selling multiple items to fund a new one(selling Nokia n95 and an iPod to get iPhone for example).

Tech moves on at a great pace, don't think it should stop just because you made a purchase!!
womble2k2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:14 PM   #109
TheAppleGeek
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
Can we get a 6 month window for those who get scammed by Apple back in March?
You were totally scammed.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:15 PM   #110
nealh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJCP View Post
Yes, excellent point about the laptops. They are getting extremely diverse with retina ones, non retina ones... What will happen when they update the MBAs to retina in a couple of months? Will you also have the non retina ones available?

I think Apple could really push the market forward if they introduced retina as the norm for their laptop lines. I understand the challenges of Retina displays on the iMac line, but if they can already make 13" and 15" retina laptops and 10" retina tablet computers, what is stopping them, other than greed, from releasing retina MacBook Air?

The point about QC you mention is inherent to the whole process of expansion. The more you start multiplying your production lines with several factories and all, the more QC is bound to suffer. I don't know how it is managed at Apple's manufacturers, but in my opinion, Apple should have a QC team trained in the company's headquarters and totally independent of Foxconn and the remaining manufacturers. That would be the only way of assuring a standard quality control guided by the same basic guidelines.
I agree on the QC issue. But Apple must remember to ask for a premium, quality and CS must exceed the competition all time, period.

I just started purchasing Apple products in 2008 with 2G iphone. I have added iPhone4, 4S, 5(x2), iMac, iPad 64gb, iPad2 and iPad3.
Unfortunately each of my devices except my iPad3 have had QC issues. Some easily dealt with others not so easy. I have AppleCare + on most and the legendary service has not been my experience!

I love the design and the product intergration with each other. I HATE itunes! I have reufsed to purchase a desktop or laptop for myself as I prefer the Windows world of custom builds and flexiblity. The iMac was for the wife!

My iPad 3 JB with BT keyboard and yes mouse is the best of all worlds.

OT: anyone know if the iPad Mini would be JB almost immediately since it is on A5 chip?
nealh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:16 PM   #111
-LikesMac-
macrumors 6502

So….

I just got an iPad 3 LAST WEEK, sent from a class after it ended as a reward. Think I could switch that for an iPad 4? I REALLY HOPE SO…

Note again. LAST WEEK.

13'' MBP, 2.7GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD3000
-LikesMac- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:18 PM   #112
Medic311
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post

I emailed my store, lets see if they upgrade me for free, if not I will cause a scene. It always works.
how do you email your local store?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by -LikesMac- View Post
I just got an iPad 3 LAST WEEK, sent from a class after it ended as a reward. Think I could switch that for an iPad 4? I REALLY HOPE SO…

Note again. LAST WEEK.
yes, do it. the A6X is phenomenal
Medic311 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:18 PM   #113
Schmitty11
Banned

Quote:

Will you please get over yourself? Are you that obsessed that you MUST have the latest iPad with the lowest serial number? Your iPad is still a mighty fine device. Little better processor and a new connector, that all your missing. If you having yesterdays iPad instead of todays iPad is the biggest problem in your life, well I'm not sure you have much of a life.
Schmitty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:19 PM   #114
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

I don't understand why they didn't wait another five months to release an iPad Mini with retina and a new thinner iPad fourth-gen alongside a worthwhile iOS update?

I know, they want to capitalize on holiday sales; but releasing a new full-size iPad in the next few weeks has resulted in a rather lackluster upgrade.

If they had waited four or five months I would've made the third-gen iPad only available in 16 GB and price it at $349 for the Wi-Fi version. Make the retina iPad mini starting at $299 for 16 GB Wi-Fi, and make the new fourth-gen iPad the same price as it is today but give it more RAM, an even faster CPU, and an even faster GPU than the fourth-gen iPad debuted today offers.

The iPad 2 should've only been kept around for educational customers -- much like the reduced price, slightly dated Macs used to be.
avanpelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:19 PM   #115
Medic311
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealh View Post

My iPad 3 JB with BT keyboard and yes mouse is the best of all worlds.

OT: anyone know if the iPad Mini would be JB almost immediately since it is on A5 chip?
that's a good question. hmm...

i too love my Logitech Ultrathin BT keyboard with BT mouse using the BTC Mouse app on Cydia. it's such a great solution and my Acer laptop at home has become my desktop now
Medic311 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:21 PM   #116
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I'm sitting this round out.

I got my iPad3 on launch day. Still liking it a lot, and it performs perfectly.

I am looking at iPad5 at this point.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:22 PM   #117
Richdmoore
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by -LikesMac- View Post

Note again. LAST WEEK.
If you purchased it, you would be within the 14 day window.

It sounds like this was a gift though, so I am not sure.

The best thing would be to go to the apple store and ask very nicely. (Maybe you tell them you want to pickup applecare+ if you can get a new unit, might help, probably can't hurt.)

That being said, I would love someone to send me a 3rd gen iPad as a gift, even if it can't be exchanged.....
Richdmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:24 PM   #118
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS View Post

Too bad for you. I hope crying in public is worth it to you, but it still won't work.

lol
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:25 PM   #119
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Man I feel your pain, my RaspberryPi is outdated now it ships as a 512mb version.

Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:34 PM   #120
nealh
macrumors 6502

I have an iPad3 and I love it. I am not sure why people feel scammed. I have gotten to use it for the last 7 months.
While the faster processor and camera are nice they are not crucial to me. I love my iPad 3.

I just hope we do not have to wait for year to get a thinner and lighter version ala iphone 5.

No one should feel cheated that owns an iPad3, it's a great device and we have had they pleasure of using it all this time.

Last edited by nealh; Oct 23, 2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: the worst typist in history
nealh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:35 PM   #121
sindekit
macrumors member

So the only new thing is the updated A6x chip?
sindekit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:37 PM   #122
NOLAmitch
macrumors newbie

Quote:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple
NOLAmitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:43 PM   #123
Sherret
macrumors newbie

Oooo this is interesting. I've just been given a iPad3 just Friday there, 19th October, for my 21st birthday. Wonder if they'll do this in the UK?
Sherret is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:44 PM   #124
babyj
macrumors 6502a

The current annual upgrade for the iPad and iPhone range is a real problem for Apple. Everyone knows it's coming so purchases start tailing off a month or two before the expected date. The delayed sales lose them money, even more if the customer buys a competitors product in the meantime. Then when the new range is released there is massive demand which is a struggle to match and then keep up with until the backlog is cleared.

It's also impossible to keep everything in sync. So it could be (and has been) up to 6 months before the latest version of the Apple cpu makes it to both the iPad and Iphone ranges. Same with iOS, other hardware changes and price changes.

Think this is the start of Apple releasing new iPads and iPhones when there is something to justify it rather than waiting for the next annual release cycle.
babyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:44 PM   #125
AgentElliot007
macrumors 6502

I think it's pretty clear they want to get all the iOS mobile devices on the fall timeline, which makes sense with iOS getting updated in the fall as well. Debut a new iOS and new iPhones, iPods and iPads along with it. Macs in the summer, and I'm betting on a TV-oriented spring, whether it's an actual Apple TV set or a more powerful Apple TV box. Plus, as far as engineering goes, it makes sense to get the iOS mobile devices released around the same time. They have a lot more in common internally than not, and now the chips can be refreshed on a more straightforward schedule.

In any event, I bought the iPad 3rd gen. on day one like I've bought every other iPad so far on day one, and while it irks me a little more right now that they're updating it earlier than usual, I get why they're doing it if only because of the switch to Lightning, but as said, I'd imagine that the iPad will be permanently refreshed in the fall. I don't expect a 5th generation iPad until next October at this point.

So, why the A6X? Well, the A5X is the weak spot on the iPad 3rd generation, clearly. If they're not going to update it again until next October, they needed to get that A6 chip in the thing sooner rather than later, so why not do that now when they also refresh it for the Lightning adapter? What else are they going to do in the near-future outside of bumping up the internals? The form factor will improve at some point, but I'd bet we're still a ways away from that.

Basically, if they were to just put this out in the Spring with the 4th generation specs, it'd be a disappointing upgrade, but as a product refresh, it's great. Now they have a year and a half between major releases to focus on a more dramatic overhaul if they indeed go that route.

So yeah, it's a little annoying right now, but I think long-term it's for the best. I think it'd have been far worse if the iPad was stuck on that A5X until next fall if they do indeed keep with a fall refresh moving forward.
AgentElliot007 is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion