Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:48 PM   #1
Frozzie
macrumors regular

Why would anyone buy iPad2 when you can buy iPad mini?

Apart from size,

Both iPad 2 and mini have same processor, same storage, same resolution, same app compatibility,

and mini has better camera, has siri, has better portability, better network capability (4G vs 3G on iPad 2) and yet is cheaper.

How is this possible? I thought the more portable a model becomes for same power, it should be more expensive? Like you wouldn't expect Macbook Air to be cheaper than Macbook Pro for same specs right?
Frozzie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Korican100
macrumors 6502a

larger screen?
Korican100 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:54 PM   #3
tonyr6
macrumors 6502

It makes no sense then that they kept the iPad 2 which has the same specks as the iPad Mini but discontinued the iPad 3 which only came out 7 months ago.
tonyr6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Frozzie
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korican100 View Post
larger screen?
By that logic Macbook Pro 13 inch without retina should be more expensive than Macbook Air 13 inch with same specs. But reality is different, and I don't think it is because Macbook Air has 25088 more pixels ((1366*768)-(1280*800)=25088) than Pro.

If a product is more portable, it should be more expensive, not cheaper.
Frozzie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:57 PM   #5
jdag
macrumors 6502

I don't think you can say "apart from size".

The iPad mini would not entice me at any price point or combination of tech specs. It is simply too small for my tastes.

I love the size of the iPad (be it a 1, 2, 3, or 4).
jdag is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:14 PM   #6
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Fully agree, OP. I'm sure there are a few who will choose it, but it seems a ridiculously bad deal compared to both the iPad 4 and the mini.
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:23 PM   #7
scupking
macrumors 6502

I agree, the iPad 2 should be gone now. Apple should just have the iPad mini and iPad.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

I think Apple is making it available for emerging markets that need the screen size.

Or they'll let the back-stock run out.
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:29 PM   #9
dacreativeguy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
I agree, the iPad 2 should be gone now. Apple should just have the iPad mini and iPad.
The margins on the iPad 2 are much higher than the newer models, so why wouldn't Apple want to sell something that makes them gobs of money. There are plenty of people who say "I can't afford/don't need the retina, but want a big screen", so they'll buy the ipad 2.
dacreativeguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:31 PM   #10
Jacoblee23
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
It makes no sense then that they kept the iPad 2 which has the same specks as the iPad Mini but discontinued the iPad 3 which only came out 7 months ago.
Preach.
Jacoblee23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:38 PM   #11
faiz23
macrumors 6502

hmmm....lets see and think about this. My cousin paid $299 for his ipad like 2 months ago and I paid $359 when the ipad 2 dropped in price due to the pathethic 6 month cycle ipad 3 the NEW ipad that is oh so old was released. Why would i paid $329 for a smaller screen. This ipad is for my wife and toddler who do not care about specs but just want the 10" screen and bang for buck. $329 for ipad mini or $359 for ipad 2. You decide

Now apple is selling the ipad 3 for $379 and shop discover has 5%. Also apple will give you a $30 coupon if you know how to ask for it

I get to enjoy 6 month old tech at a fraction
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(1).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	371669   Click image for larger version

Name:	ipad.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	371670  
faiz23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:29 AM   #12
BSDanalyst
macrumors regular

I still don't understand the point of the iPad mini in the customer's perspective.

If I want a smaller screen, I'll use my iPhone, and if I want a larger screen, I'll just use the big iPad. Why would I want a larger screen that's not really that large in the first place?
BSDanalyst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Donki
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDanalyst View Post
I still don't understand the point of the iPad mini in the customer's perspective.

If I want a smaller screen, I'll use my iPhone, and if I want a larger screen, I'll just use the big iPad. Why would I want a larger screen that's not really that large in the first place?
It all depends what its used for, I have a Mini and a full sized pad, I would say I use the Mini 90% of the time. For my 1 hour commute on a busy train its a joy to hold, its light I can slip it in and out of my bag quickly and easily. Its much bigger than my phone and for gaming IMO its the perfect size. At home I would use my iPad 3 if I was watching a movie or something but even then I would go to my Mini simply because its so easily handled for long periods of time.

Just because you don't see any need for it doesnt mean other people dont, its been a HUGE success for a reason.
Donki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 08:14 AM   #14
Plutonius
macrumors 601

It will be interesting choosing between the upcoming mini 2 and iPad 5.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:18 AM   #15
MagicHAM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
I actually find myself agreeing with you here. They have the Ipad non retina currently, but i would think that they would drop this and the ipad 2 when the new Ipad 5 or when the Retina Ipad mini comes out. Would make no sense to keep them all.
MagicHAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:41 PM   #16
richardmu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdag View Post
I don't think you can say "apart from size".

The iPad mini would not entice me at any price point or combination of tech specs. It is simply too small for my tastes.

I love the size of the iPad (be it a 1, 2, 3, or 4).
Couldn't agree more. I tried the mini and then returned it.

Screen too small, period!
richardmu is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 07:32 PM   #17
WestCoastPro
Banned

Maybe they have a lot of 30-pin accessories they don't want to replace?
WestCoastPro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2013, 09:02 PM   #18
mantan
macrumors 65816

Why are we drumming up year old threads?
mantan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:39 AM   #19
Princejb134
macrumors member

We'll I sold my iPad 2 to buy a iPad mini thinking it would be easier to travel to school with
I was so wrong about this
PDF seemed harder to look at it since the mini screen was so small, so I ended up trading my mini for a iPad 2 through Craigslist
I dot really use Siri or any of the extra features they don't have on iPad 2 so IMF ood
Princejb134 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 07:48 AM   #20
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

And then there's the goldilocks sizes ipad mini. The ipad mini sales seem to contradict your personal preferences.
Klae17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 08:55 AM   #21
s15119
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozzie View Post
Apart from size,

Both iPad 2 and mini have same processor, same storage, same resolution, same app compatibility,

and mini has better camera, has siri, has better portability, better network capability (4G vs 3G on iPad 2) and yet is cheaper.

How is this possible? I thought the more portable a model becomes for same power, it should be more expensive? Like you wouldn't expect Macbook Air to be cheaper than Macbook Pro for same specs right?
Simple. I have no interest in the iPad mini. None.
s15119 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:23 AM   #22
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:

No one can tell you why you would or would not on any topic. That's your decision to make. The mistake you're making is assuming that your preferences are universal when iPad Mini sales figures clearly indicate that's not the case.

Use whatever works for you.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:06 PM   #23
TrollToddington
macrumors 6502

Quote:

You wrongly assume that everybody owns an iPhone. Now let me explain my customer perspective, az a photographer I want to save every bit of weight in my photo bag. The big iPad is ~650gr, the mini is ~350gr, the difference is not small. Not to mention that, together with its case, my iPad2 weights close to 1kg The big iPad 4 feels very clunky, the small is holdable with just one hand.

On top of that, the screen of the iPhone is just too small for photo showing/previewing. I understand the iPhone is a do-it-all device and if I had one I'd never consider buying an iPad at all. Thankfully, I'm not interested in having an iPhone. What about the fact the base iPhone is twice as expensive as the base iPad mini?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:42 PM   #24
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular

Why would anyone buy the iPad mini as the next iPad will be smaller with the same size screen and lighter.
KiwiAdventure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2013, 08:10 PM   #25
oaktree
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozzie View Post
Apart from size,
Ummmm...because of size.
oaktree is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad