Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
This is simple crazy...since first iPhone on average I did use less than 2GB, ever since iPhone 5 my Data is through the roof. I have been only 17 days in the billing cycle and I have used over 5GB (its showing 4.2 but its over 5GB now). I can understand I did use little more data because just got new phone but my general usage of iPhone did not change...My Wi-Fi is always on and I dont download movies or anything like that....anyone experiencing same thing?

Attachments

• 10-23-2012 10-05-41 AM.jpg
    10-23-2012 10-05-41 AM.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 209
  • New Image123.PNG
    New Image123.PNG
    113.5 KB · Views: 150

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
Me and my wife share 2gb a month, we don't even get close and we both have the IP5 on Verizon. We use them for e-mail, some basic web stuff, some navigation and playing on itunes. We have great LTE everywhere we go in our area also.

wookiee2cu

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
Ya, mine is almost 3x as much as I would typically use on my iPHone 4, it's got to be the LTE. Luckily I'm grandfathered on unlimited, I feel sorry for folks who are on the 2GB plan.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
This is a common problem no? Wonder how the carriers will handle it? Gotta be a ios6 issue

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Dude or gal, I just got off the phone with AT&T and I'm 11 days into my billing cycle and I've used 1824mb out of the 2048mb plan!!!!! ******!!! At least your on unlimited I'm on the 2gb plan.

----------

Thy told me to turn off cellular data when I'm on wifi. I'm not downloading music or watching vids but its still high :(

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
This is simple crazy...since first iPhone on average I did use less than 2GB, ever since iPhone 5 my Data is through the roof. I have been only 17 days in the billing cycle and I have used over 5GB (its showing 4.2 but its over 5GB now). I can understand I did use little more data because just got new phone but my general usage of iPhone did not change...My Wi-Fi is always on and I dont download movies or anything like that....anyone experiencing same thing?

Do you stream using apples Podcast app? If so, it doesn't stop using data when the stream is completely downloaded, it just keeps using data as long as its playing, which results in HUGE data waste! If you do use Podcast app, then download on Wifi before listening, if you want to listen to something not yet downloaded on LTE, download it before starting playing, that way it will only use the data on the download and not playback.

I had a 62MB Podcast use over 700MB of data!

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
At least you have unlimited data. :p

Yes, I do have unlimited data but now they are going to slow my internet and I still dont understand how am I using so much more than i did on iPhone 4S...It simply makes no sense...I am not using Netflix, I play two games here and there...i did not change my usage at all and now I have used 5Gb data.

----------

Me and my wife share 2gb a month, we don't even get close and we both have the IP5 on Verizon. We use them for e-mail, some basic web stuff, some navigation and playing on itunes. We have great LTE everywhere we go in our area also.

Same thing with me, wife has 4S and she use around 500K, I was always around 1.5GB per month, rarely I used more than 2GB.

----------

Ya, mine is almost 3x as much as I would typically use on my iPHone 4, it's got to be the LTE. Luckily I'm grandfathered on unlimited, I feel sorry for folks who are on the 2GB plan.

are you doing something differently? How much did you use so far?

----------

This is a common problem no? Wonder how the carriers will handle it? Gotta be a ios6 issue

I have no clue, it is simply so strange, that I jump from 1.5GB on average to 5GB+.

----------

Dude or gal, I just got off the phone with AT&T and I'm 11 days into my billing cycle and I've used 1824mb out of the 2048mb plan!!!!! ******!!! At least your on unlimited I'm on the 2gb plan.

----------

Thy told me to turn off cellular data when I'm on wifi. I'm not downloading music or watching vids but its still high :(

See, i guess I am not the only one. Why would you turn of you Data when you are on WI-FI? It makes no sense to do that?

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Do you stream using apples Podcast app? If so, it doesn't stop using data when the stream is completely downloaded, it just keeps using data as long as its playing, which results in HUGE data waste! If you do use Podcast app, then download on Wifi before listening, if you want to listen to something not yet downloaded on LTE, download it before starting playing, that way it will only use the data on the download and not playback.

I had a 62MB Podcast use over 700MB of data!

As far as I can remember I only used two Podcasts (see photo) and that was when I was home on Wi-Fi. One is 60MB and another is 70MB...I did listen it on Wi-Fi and I did exit the app at the end, and I did not turn it on again till now...Can hat pull so many GB even when I was on Wi-Fi......

Now this may not have to do anything with my data usage. When I am at home and i use my Wi-Fi iPad i have all Wi-Fi bars on the screen, my phone is next to me and iPad but only has one Wi-Fi bar...Could it be that is not using Wi-Fi even if is on the network?....but then how is iPad normally using network?

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    188.1 KB · Views: 88

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
As far as I can remember I only used two Podcasts (see photo) and that was when I was home on Wi-Fi. One is 60MB and another is 70MB...I did listen it on Wi-Fi and I did exit the app at the end, and I did not turn it on again till now...Can hat pull so many GB even when I was on Wi-Fi......

Now this may not have to do anything with my data usage. When I am at home and i use my Wi-Fi iPad i have all Wi-Fi bars on the screen, my phone is next to me and iPad but only has one Wi-Fi bar...Could it be that is not using Wi-Fi even if is on the network?....but then how is iPad normally using network?

If you are on verizon and haven't yet done the carrier update that could very well be the issue. There was an issue where it was still using data even on wifi. You have to go to the settings about menu and it will pop up saying there is a carrier update. If you have already gotten it, then im not sure. But since I discovered Podcasts eating data I started downloading them on wifi ahead of time and have only used about 270MB in a week now (as opposed to 4GB in about 5 days.)

whynot83706

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
If you are on verizon and haven't yet done the carrier update that could very well be the issue. There was an issue where it was still using data even on wifi. You have to go to the settings about menu and it will pop up saying there is a carrier update. If you have already gotten it, then im not sure. But since I discovered Podcasts eating data I started downloading them on wifi ahead of time and have only used about 270MB in a week now (as opposed to 4GB in about 5 days.)

I am on best network on the world :D AT&T!

jkun

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2012
It's okay! I have 17 days left in my cycle and I used 10.6gb so far. Hooray for unlimited on VZ.

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
No, it's a usage problem. Not an iOS 6 issue.
I'm on lte unlimited and only used 195mb in 3 weeks.
So believe it or not you used the data somehow. It didn't magically rack up all those GB's.

oh, you are one of those that just assumes its someone using data heavy apps suddenly and not a problem, it cant POSSIBLY be a problem when you suddenly, out of nowhere start using 10x the data you were using previous to getting the iPhone 5...it must be the user.

Give me a break! I KNOW as a fact, it was the Podcast app that racked up data usage for me. Streaming a 62MB podcast blew thru over 700MB of data! That is a software problem, NOT a user problem.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
its a usage problem for sure. here is a test. turn the phone off, place phone in drawer for the day, then check your data see no change. then use your phone for a day, check your data... see you used data, its a usage problem plain and simple.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
oh, you are one of those that just assumes its someone using data heavy apps suddenly and not a problem, it cant POSSIBLY be a problem when you suddenly, out of nowhere start using 10x the data you were using previous to getting the iPhone 5...it must be the user.

Give me a break! I KNOW as a fact, it was the Podcast app that racked up data usage for me. Streaming a 62MB podcast blew thru over 700MB of data! That is a software problem, NOT a user problem.

You used up the data period. Podcast app or whatever you used still its not an iOS issue or carrier scam or anything else.
That's what I was saying.
Is it that hard to get?
Wether you knew or understand what used the data or not the data was used and measured on the carriers end.

JT704

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
theres a ton of pages found in a google search of iphone 5 data usage. especially the ATTs. an update should fix.....

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA

Yeah im going to be much the same. My girlfriend is killing me. She usually uses 1.7-1.8. shes almost to 4gb. she has a 2gb plan. so went over twice. I usually use like 500mb to 1gb and this month im almost to 2gb but I have unlimited. She hates wifi says its "slow" I have 75mbps Fios so its def not slow lol. But when shes home she watches netflix and the slingbox among other things on LTE. killing meeeee. haha.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm still in awe with the amount of data I've been using with MINIMAL cellular use. I log into a few forums, light internet navigation, Facebook reading, check emails and I'm using 100mb a day? This sucks big time, we finally have fast internet speed, but unable to fully take advantage of it because of the cost. Something's gotta give. Either I give up my IP5 or the carriers have to allot us more GB's for the same surcharge. Give us rollover data, something!

It's BS...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yeah im going to be much the same. My girlfriend is killing me. She usually uses 1.7-1.8. shes almost to 4gb. she has a 2gb plan. so went over twice. I usually use like 500mb to 1gb and this month im almost to 2gb but I have unlimited. She hates wifi says its "slow" I have 75mbps Fios so its def not slow lol. But when shes home she watches netflix and the slingbox among other things on LTE. killing meeeee. haha.

Hope you're making her pay her own overages.
If she does then she might then consider connecting to the fios wifi instead. :)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
turning cellular off saves a lot of battery power and i use my phone as an alarm clock

Yes, I do have unlimited data but now they are going to slow my internet and I still dont understand how am I using so much more than i did on iPhone 4S...It simply makes no sense...I am not using Netflix, I play two games here and there...i did not change my usage at all and now I have used 5Gb data.

----------

Same thing with me, wife has 4S and she use around 500K, I was always around 1.5GB per month, rarely I used more than 2GB.

----------

are you doing something differently? How much did you use so far?

----------

I have no clue, it is simply so strange, that I jump from 1.5GB on average to 5GB+.

----------

See, i guess I am not the only one. Why would you turn of you Data when you are on WI-FI? It makes no sense to do that?

----------

I'm beating a dead horse here, but I'm still in awe with the amount of data I've been using with MINIMAL cellular use. I log into a few forums, light internet navigation, Facebook reading, check emails and I'm using 100mb a day? This sucks big time, we finally have fast internet speed, but unable to fully take advantage of it because of the cost. Something's gotta give. Either I give up my IP5 or the carriers have to allot us more GB's for the same surcharge. Give us rollover data, something!

It's BS...

there are lots of things to do on the iphone that don't involve being a couch potato

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.