Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thaghost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Winter Garden, FL
I was planning on selling my iPhone 4S tonight. So I went to erase all content and data (which isn't supposed to erase cydia supposedly). After I attempted to do this, the phone turned off with the refreshing circle appearing. Well, its still like that. It's been like this for an hour no. Now here is the kicker, the lock button is broke. I have been using gestures to turn the phone off. Any suggestions?

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
All you can do is DFU restore you. you broke the carnal rule of Jailbreak never erase all content on a JB device. it throws it into a loop as you now experiencing. you can still sell it but with 6.0 only. if you have oh snap power lock button broke try taking it back to apple you really messed up sorry dude,

thaghost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Winter Garden, FL
All you can do is DFU restore you. you broke the carnal rule of Jailbreak never erase all content on a JB device. it throws it into a loop as you now experiencing. you can still sell it but with 6.0 only. if you have oh snap power lock button broke try taking it back to apple you really messed up sorry dude,

haha..well that's not good news. I bought it on launch day last year, so warranty is up. Does this mean it is bricked?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
haha..well that's not good news. I bought it on launch day last year, so warranty is up. Does this mean it is bricked?

No it is not bricked, just have to restore it, get your blobs from cydia and stitch them to 5.1.1 ipsw with redsn0w

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I was planning on selling my iPhone 4S tonight. So I went to erase all content and data (which isn't supposed to erase cydia supposedly). After I attempted to do this, the phone turned off with the refreshing circle appearing. Well, its still like that. It's been like this for an hour no. Now here is the kicker, the lock button is broke. I have been using gestures to turn the phone off. Any suggestions?

lol, it says ALL not some, also all places say that you should NOT do 'erase all content and data' if you are jb, so I don't know where you 'read' that ;) You have to do DFU and restore, for the home button bypass check on iclarified or the dev blog, I don't know if it still works, but there is a way.

TC25

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2011
how do i do that with my lock button broke?

You don't. You are SOL. You now get to take your phone to Apple for a replacement.

----------

(which isn't supposed to erase cydia supposedly).

This information has NEVER been posted here, just the opposite has, multiple times, in response to people who 'Erase All Contents'.

thaghost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Winter Garden, FL
Well aren't you just the friendliest person on here with some helpful advice......

I thought I had read that some years ago when I was trying to sell my 3GS that was jailbroken....guess I must have misunderstood it. Thanks for the input.

thaghost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Winter Garden, FL
Also, I did the same thing to my wifes iPhone 4 at the same time as mine, it did the same thing as mine. However, I was able to kick it out of that loop and it turned back on and everything was ok with it. Nothing was erased though. So why would I be screwed with the iPhone 4S? Once the battery dies, won't it turn back on when I charge it?

----------

lol, it says ALL not some, also all places say that you should NOT do 'erase all content and data' if you are jb, so I don't know where you 'read' that ;) You have to do DFU and restore, for the home button bypass check on iclarified or the dev blog, I don't know if it still works, but there is a way.

thanks for the tips...i'm searching now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.