Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:08 PM   #1
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Ipad 5 must be certain for March 2013

Since it was such a minor update, Android will catch up and it makes sense to go back to the usual release schedule. Plus it was like when the 4S was released there was talk of them testing a Iphone 5. I reckon it's the same old thing here and there's a better Ipad waiting..

I think they only penned in the 4 as it made sense to roll out the lightning connector as the Mini would make the Ipad 2 look old with the old connector and HD Facetime.

Question is will they pen the new Ipad mini series with Ipod touch launches or will they do it again in March maybe adding retina?

I'm sure if Ipad 5 is due in March, and it does go back to ONE a year Ipad 3 owners will feel better. Plus they could then put Ipad 4 down to 329 (easy as it's the same as Ipad 3 really) and discontinue Ipad 2 two years after release. They won't want non lightning Ipads around in 2013.

Roll on the rumours please...Ipad 5 WHEN??
gadget123 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Che Castro
macrumors 601

If they had called it a refresh then yes , I would bet another ipad In march

But since they called it ipad 4th generation , expect the ipad 5 in 10/2013
Che Castro is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:16 PM   #3
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che Castro View Post
If they had called it a refresh then yes , I would bet another ipad In march

But since they called it ipad 4th generation , expect the ipad 5 in 10/2013
If the rumours start saying March I'd believe it as most of what has been on here has been true.

I'd say hold off a few months.
gadget123 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:16 PM   #4
leukotriene
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget123 View Post
Since it was such a minor update, Android will catch up and it makes sense to go back to the usual release schedule. Plus it was like when the 4S was released there was talk of them testing a Iphone 5. I reckon it's the same old thing here and there's a better Ipad waiting..

I think they only penned in the 4 as it made sense to roll out the lightning connector as the Mini would make the Ipad 2 look old with the old connector and HD Facetime.

Question is will they pen the new Ipad mini series with Ipod touch launches or will they do it again in March maybe adding retina?

I'm sure if Ipad 5 is due in March, and it does go back to ONE a year Ipad 3 owners will feel better. Plus they could then put Ipad 4 down to 329 (easy as it's the same as Ipad 3 really) and discontinue Ipad 2 two years after release. They won't want non lightning Ipads around in 2013.

Roll on the rumours please...Ipad 5 WHEN??

But realistically what can they do to improve on the iPad 4?

The only technology advancement in the near future appears to be the switch to IGZO. That sounds like it could help achieve near-24 hours of battery life. I don't see that sort of thing happening before 12 months from now. I mean what would an iPad 5 in the spring even improve on?
leukotriene is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:18 PM   #5
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

nyet

Apple announced the iPad 4 because they see iOS device major launches as being better in the fall heading into the busy holiday shopping season.

I think the Retina 13 is going to prove to be an anomaly. I wouldn't be surprised to see it updated summer of 2013 with Haswell parts.

At this point the speed bump of the A6X will keep competitors at bay and by fall of 2013 we'll see iPad 5 with some juicy updates and perhaps the first Apple designed quad core SoC.

iOS 7 will be a significant upgrade and tie things together nicely.
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:19 PM   #6
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

Android is lacking in hardware AND software consistency/ease of use. I really doubt they'll catch up on that by spring.
maccompatible is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:19 PM   #7
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by leukotriene View Post

The only technology advancement in the near future appears to be the switch to IGZO. That sounds like it could help achieve near-24 hours of battery life. I don't see that sort of thing happening before 12 months from now. I mean what would an iPad 5 in the spring even improve on?
Thinner displays, going with a new screen manufacrter, 1080p Facetime, a similar back design to Ipod touch and Ipad mini, NFC asssuming it comes with the next Iphone model, 8mp camera, thinner than other models maybe in line with Ipad mini?

Long shot but 16:9? 3D?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonyk...creen-as-well/

See this link above. I bet 16:9 is in the works..
gadget123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:33 PM   #8
leukotriene
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thinner displays, going with a new screen manufacrter, 1080p Facetime, a similar back design to Ipod touch and Ipad mini, NFC asssuming it comes with the next Iphone model, 8mp camera, thinner than other models maybe in line with Ipad mini?

I could see thinner. New screen manufacturer: users don't care . 1080p FaceTime: users don't care and bandwidth won't transmit the the full stream. A similar back: yes, I could see that, and it'd be nice. 8mp camera: who cares. NFC: no freakin way . 16:9 or 3D: no freakin FREAKIN way

None of those sound interesting other than thinness. I think the next big wave of improvement will be a 24 hour battery life thanks to IGZO.
leukotriene is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:39 PM   #9
Stetrain
macrumors 68040

I think that the holiday refresh cycle makes a lot more sense for the iPad line. For something that's a strong holiday seller, updating it just a couple of months after the holidays isn't always the best strategy.
Stetrain is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:45 PM   #10
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

The link is nothing more than pure speculation. Same as you'll find here.
While no one other than Tim Cook knows at this point, I put my speculation at NO March iPad 5. No chance, with one caveat - if the Samsung rumors are true (canceling display contracts with Apple), there could be a refresh if more than just Sharp can make the IGZO displays.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:50 PM   #11
lighthouse_man
macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about this. It seems that they however want to align the iOS devices to be released around the same time every year; fall.
lighthouse_man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:52 PM   #12
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse_man View Post
I'm not sure about this. It seems that they however want to align the iOS devices to be released around the same time every year; fall.
Just a case of waiting and seeing what happens then..
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:03 PM   #13
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

They could bump the storage and increase the processor speed but you're right I doubt we will see anything like a new cpu architecture. I don't think we will see a 5th generation iPad until the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2013. That's just my opinion. I honestly think the whole point of this upgrade was to line everything up with the lightening connector. Just releasing a iPad 3 with the new connector would be silly. I think Apple made the right move in upping the processor. I can't imagine anyone going from a iPad 3 with the 30 pin to a iPad 3 with a the new connector.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:06 PM   #14
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
nyet

Apple announced the iPad 4 because they see iOS device major launches as being better in the fall heading into the busy holiday shopping season.

I think the Retina 13 is going to prove to be an anomaly. I wouldn't be surprised to see it updated summer of 2013 with Haswell parts.

At this point the speed bump of the A6X will keep competitors at bay and by fall of 2013 we'll see iPad 5 with some juicy updates and perhaps the first Apple designed quad core SoC.

iOS 7 will be a significant upgrade and tie things together nicely.
Great post, my thoughts exactly. iOS devices have become a big Christmas item, October media events with products being on sale late Oct/Nov stages them up perfectly.

I think this ~5 month early update means a 17 month wait for the next generation 9.7" iPad.
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:08 PM   #15
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

The only things certain in life are death and taxes.

Enjoy what you have.
Aspasia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:09 PM   #16
hcho3
macrumors 68030

I expect next update to be all in Sep/Oct of 2013.

March 2013 will be saved for something special like iTV.
hcho3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:10 PM   #17
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcho3 View Post

Nope..

They will have leaked half the Ipad rumours by the time the years out..has to be March 2013.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:10 PM   #18
cnguyen0320
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthouse_man View Post
Illogical for a company with the popularity of Apple. I think they should push iPhone up to spring and the rest stays fall since the non-iPhone iOS devices are more fit to be holiday gifts. And too many iOS products at one time would be bad for business since most people wouldn't buy more than one iOS device at a time unless they had loaded wallets
cnguyen0320 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:11 PM   #19
lighthouse_man
macrumors 6502a

Having it released now as well has to do with the complete iOS line transition to the new pin connector, nothing lagging behind, all on the same page.
lighthouse_man is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:13 PM   #20
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
Illogical for a company with the popularity of Apple. I think they should push iPhone up to spring and the rest stays fall since the non-iPhone iOS devices are more fit to be holiday gifts. And too many iOS products at one time would be bad for business since most people wouldn't buy more than one iOS device at a time unless they had loaded wallets
Iphone 5 got a bigger update than Ipad 4 so that won't work..

I bet there would be more annoyed people as they have two year contracts..atleast you can sell the Ipad on ebay.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:13 PM   #21
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:

A7X

Thinner/lighter

Redesigned chassis.

More RAM.

Improved optics.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:14 PM   #22
lighthouse_man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnguyen0320 View Post
I think they should push iPhone up to spring
The iPhone is already being released in fall since last year's iPhone 4S.
lighthouse_man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:14 PM   #23
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccompatible View Post
Android is lacking in hardware AND software consistency/ease of use. I really doubt they'll catch up on that by spring.
Then if the iPad 3 was doing so good why come out with a iPad 4 so soon? Or why come out with a smaller overpriced iPad 2? If competition is so weak and petty why would you screw over millions of iPad 3 customers that we're happy with their purchase just yesterday. Now we have no guarantee that a iPad 4 purchase is safe till 10/2013; they could replace it 3/2013.
Don't ever underestimate your competition because it will make you do crazy things.
cdmoore74 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:14 PM   #24
gadget123
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
A7X

Thinner/lighter

Redesigned chassis.

More RAM.

Improved optics.
Problem is A7 before a new Iphone?
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:16 PM   #25
HabSonic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcho3 View Post

Exactly my tough. They can't release another iPad in 4-5 months. And the A7 processor will be release in the second half of 2013.
HabSonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad