Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:28 AM   #76
KdParker
macrumors 68030
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Can you even buy an iPad 3 from apple anymore?
__________________
64g iPhone6+Space Grey; 16g iPhone6 Silver;16g iPhone5s Space Grey;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:43 AM   #77
mono1980
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lansing, MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumi View Post
It's likely that the reason is that many businesses and integrators that have deployed or built solutions around iPad have done so around the dock connector. Apple is obviously maintaining the availability of that model so that those businesses can continue to deploy them while they update their solutions for lightning.

It's common for many vendors to do this where they have a large business or enterprise market, it's not so necessary in consumer where everybody wants the new shiny.

Not every business is agile enough to deploy an entirely new interface technology overnight, likewise the iPad2 is unlikely to be supply constrained and businesses can continue to purchase it readily, where the iPad3 and Mini will be difficult to obtain for a month or so following launch.
Good point. Thank you!
mono1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:30 PM   #78
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
rubbish. if apple didnt want customers to buy the ipad2, they wouldnt continue to sell the ipad2! seriously people. brains, use em. they continue to offer a mid-level product because they want to capture the mid-level market in addition to the upper and lower markets.
I categorically disagree with characterizing the iPad 2 as a "mid level" product. After the latest announcement, it is 2 generations old, and it has an obsolete dock connector.

Apple would continue to sell the iPad 2 -- if they wish to clear out their inventory.

IMHO, Apple has one too many sets of SKUs in their iPad line, and the 2 is the odd man out. It will be gone in early 2013 -- if not sooner.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:14 PM   #79
musicpenguy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
[QUOTE=adnbek;16132029]Except you said nothing about licensing issues. You talked about LTE, the mics and the cameras]

Um when? - my original post on page one was all about Apple and licensing - nothing about the cameras etc. - very confused
__________________
(2006: 17" MBP, Rev A: MBA Sold), 2009 Mac Mini, MBA 1.4GHz, 2GB, 128GB, 11" - iPad 64GB 3G, eMate 300, MP2100, 2G 8GB iPhone, 3G 16GB iPhone, 3G&6G Nano, 2G Shuffle, 160GB TV, TV-V2 - TPPN.TV
musicpenguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:35 PM   #80
Appleseeds
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Can you even buy an iPad 3 from apple anymore?


Refurb only
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC...3rd-generation
Appleseeds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:54 PM   #81
adnbek
macrumors 65816
 
adnbek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
[QUOTE=musicpenguy;16137868]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnbek View Post
Except you said nothing about licensing issues. You talked about LTE, the mics and the cameras]

Um when? - my original post on page one was all about Apple and licensing - nothing about the cameras etc. - very confused
Didn't read the whole thread, only that one post I replied to.
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:40 PM   #82
s15119
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingBones View Post
It seems as if Apple is doing all they can to discourage the purchase of an iPad 2. They want people to go with the Mini or the 4. Keeping Siri off of the 2 seems consistent with that plan.
You really think Apple is trying to discourage you from buying something it features in it's store.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/s...d/family/ipad2


sigh.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Can you even buy an iPad 3 from apple anymore?

You never could. That product never existed.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneDevice View Post
You mean like the continuing support for the iPod Classic?

Apple supply older hardware only until a product has been released that fills the same niche. Unless it's a professional product in which case they will drop it like a hot rock just because.

Apple are just acting like pricks here and no amount of anti-Android rhetoric masks that fact. Siri could work on an iPad 2. People have got it to work on an iPad 2. Apple can very easily allow it to work on an iPad 2.

They choose not to purely for sales and marketing purposes. They've done it before and they will continue to do so. Restricting a feature purely to give a newer product a minor marketing advantage is Apple MO.

The other fact worth noting here is that Siri is borderline useless on an iPad and just a novelty act. It has limited response information as it is on a phone and serves mainly as a hands-free system. On the iPad, a device which always sits in your lap, voice control is pointless.
It's useless, but Apple is deliberately withholding it as a marketing tactic. Let me guess, Romney voter?
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:57 AM   #83
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunjine View Post
Oh man, the sense of entitlement and the childish whining is almost too much.
Are people happy? Do they feel well looked after and valued because the device they paid for three years ago(!) is still getting new, improved features for free? Most of them, yes. But others, not so much. They moan. They’re like children at Christmas, surrounded by presents, crying because one thing they wanted isn’t in the pile.
Are you kidding me Zunjine? Do you really expect most on here to be rational? This is MR, home of the privileged apple fan. They want it all, they want it now because after all, they are entitled right? Gotta remember this too.... this is also the home of folks not able to make up their on decision about anything. Asking help with the most basic life decision like which color or size to get.

Never try to be logical here on MR, you'll just be frustrated and want to go on a multi state killing spree.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:29 PM   #84
AzN1337c0d3r
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunjine View Post
Not offering some new features (e.g., Siri) to older devices is not "planned obsolescence" because not adding new features doesn't stop your old features from working – the device is no less useful than it was the day before these new features were released for newer devices.
From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Planned functional obsolescence is a type of technical obsolescence in which companies introduce new technology which replaces the old. The old products do not have the same capabilities or functionality as the new ones.
What's even more damning is that Apple didnt even bother to introduce a technical improvement to the iPad Mini to be able to excuse it from having Siri.
__________________
rMBP (10.8), 2.6 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD
Hackintosh (10.7.4), 4.6 GHz i7-3930K, 32 GB RAM, 3xHD7970, 2x240GB Vertex 3 RAID 0 SSD, 2x600GB Velociraptor 10KRPM, Drobo S 5x2TB, 2x HP LP3065 30-inch.
AzN1337c0d3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:28 PM   #85
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by s15119 View Post
You really think Apple is trying to discourage you from buying something it features in it's store.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy/home/s...d/family/ipad2
Actually, it's not being featured. See http://store.apple.com : the iPad Mini is the iPad being featured.

Apple is going to spend no money refreshing the obsolete port on this unit, and they'll do noting to support Siri on this model. That's the evidence that Apple is discouraging the purchase of this model.

I predict that Apple will discontinue the iPad 2 in early 2013.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:56 PM   #86
EmpireITtech
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post
Can you even buy an iPad 3 from apple anymore?
nope..just go to the site, takes 1 minute to find this out
EmpireITtech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:09 PM   #87
KdParker
macrumors 68030
 
KdParker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireITtech View Post
nope..just go to the site, takes 1 minute to find this out
Posted that question awhile back and found out that you can only get one as a refurb.
__________________
64g iPhone6+Space Grey; 16g iPhone6 Silver;16g iPhone5s Space Grey;
15" retina - MBP 2.6 GHZ 16 RAM;
iPad4 retina
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:07 PM   #88
blimey48
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
Proof?
hahah dozens of irrational posts....one person posts the most logical explanation and..."PROOF?!?!"
blimey48 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:47 AM   #89
KojiH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I think the choice by Apple to continue to leave the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 without Siri is mostly for marketing reasons as others have suggested.

As for the arguments that the microphone is not good enough or that the processor or wireless data is not fast enough on the iPad 2 or iPhone 4, how does this explain why the new Google App voice search function works flawlessly on these older devices. Adding insult to injury it is even noticeably faster than the Siri on my iPhone 5.
KojiH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:20 PM   #90
FloatingBones
macrumors 65816
 
FloatingBones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
So apple does not want the consumer to spend $399 so they blocked Siri forcing those that want it to spend $329 ???
Not exactly. Gruber nailed the reason why the iPad 2 is still around:

Quote:
I was confused by this at first. Why keep the iPad 2 around? Then the answer hit me: the iPad 2 must have continued to sell well over the last seven months. There can be no other explanation. If it weren’t selling well, Apple would have dropped it from the lineup. But because it is selling well, they’re keeping it in the lineup, because they don’t know why it’s selling well. If it’s only because of the lower price, the iPad Mini might obviate it. But perhaps it’s not that people want the least expensive iPad, but instead that they want the least expensive full-size iPad.

But the key is that the iPad 2’s non-retina display has not kept it from selling well alongside the retina iPad 3. For many people, retina resolution is nice-to-have, not must-have.
[...]
If the Mini had a retina display, I’d switch from the iPad 3 in a heartbeat. As it stands, I’m going to switch anyway. Going non-retina is a particularly bitter pill for me, but I like the iPad Mini’s size and weight so much that I’m going to swallow it.
In other words, Gruber prefers the Mini to his iPad 3 -- and the only factor for preferring the 3 is the retina display. He sees no advantage for the 2 over the mini.

Once Apple sees the numbers for the holiday season, they will decide if phasing out the 2 is the way to go. It seems like a slam-dunk: consumers will prefer a smaller and lighter package -- for less money.

In a year, we'll have a large iPad, a retina iPad mini, and the current iPad mini for a low-cost intro model.

Last edited by FloatingBones; Oct 31, 2012 at 03:18 PM.
FloatingBones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:28 AM   #91
golosin2
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

As for function, voice dictation is quite handy on an iPad2 (which I have and use all the time). I really don't care for the on-screen keyboard ... I use a blue tooth Apple keyboard when I want to do a lot of typing. Great keyboard.
But, maybe you could go EZ on the strong opinions ... not worth much to me.
How do you use Voice Dictation on an iPad2, if it has not Siri...?

PS: im on ios5, dont know if ios6 comes with voice dictation on an ipad2.
golosin2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:11 PM   #92
terraphantm
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
Doesn't anyone here remember when FaceTime came out?

It was included on all new Macs, yet existing Mac owners had to buy it in the App Store. Why was that? What a rip off, right? Typical Apple greed, you say. Well, hold on a second…

It turns out there are legal issues that prohibit "adding significant functionality" to an already existing device. They couldn't give away FaceTime to existing Mac owners who already bought their computer, they had to sell it to them through the App Store to meet this legal requirement. Something to do with FCC filings, or some such nonsense.

And before you ask why they "brought it" to the iPad 3, clearly they included this contingency in their filings as existing functionality, even though it wasn't ready to be included at launch. They haven't charged for iOS updates in years, and you can't sell a Siri "component" through the iOS App Store, not that they would even want to put a price on it if they could.
I think this is simply an excuse. Other companies add significant functionality to their devices without charging the user all the time. Microsoft in particular adds many features to its products at no cost. The xbox 360 has gained many features since its release - many of which were likely not planned for from day 1.

I don't see why Microsoft can legally do that if Apple can't.
terraphantm is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Siri adds airplay to iPhone 4S, doesn't occur on ipad? 09sroyal iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Jan 3, 2013 05:21 PM
Mini gets Siri, but iPad 2 Doesn't? FSMBP iPad 7 Oct 24, 2012 03:34 PM
A5 Ipad mini with Siri, Ipad 2 A5 no Siri gadget123 iPad 24 Oct 24, 2012 01:04 AM
iPad mini gets Siri, iPad 2 doesn't. ItouchMe iPad 3 Oct 23, 2012 09:08 PM
why does iPad mini have siri, and not iPad 2? iOrbit iPad 8 Oct 23, 2012 03:30 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps