Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:46 AM   #1
akal575
macrumors member

Unhappy iPad 3 not listed on apple.com anymore? Discontinued?

Okay, so I am partially confused. I'm one of those people who always upgrades to the newer generation of most Apple products. I purchased the iPad 3 when it was released (was it March sometime?).

I went to apple's website to look at the new iPad page and I came to this. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/ Now, for whatever reason Apple seems to have strayed away from the numerical naming of iPad devices (much to my confusion). From what I see, Apple has all together removed the iPad 3 from production and now only sells the iPad 2 as the predecessor to the iPad 4.

So a product that isn't even 6 months old has already been discontinued? This kind of makes me angry. Especially with my purchase. I wonder what the ramifications of this decision will be when it comes to repairs on iPad 3?

Perhaps a damaged unit will get replaced with the next gen. iPad 4?

I am just confused as to why Apple would stop making the iPad 3, but continue selling the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 is clearly better than the iPad 2. The only reason why I could see them discontinuing the iPad 3, and instead push the iPad 2 is because the iPad 2 is probably cheaper to produce than the iPad 3. Apple wouldn't make as much money off of selling iPad 3's at the current discounted rate that the iPad 2 is now listed at.

I was really excited for today in regards to the iPad mini announcement. I feel that Apple announced some great upgrades for the mac side of things, but how they handled this whole iPad situation has left me somewhat disappointed.
akal575 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:49 AM   #2
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by akal575 View Post
Okay, so I am partially confused. I'm one of those people who always upgrades to the newer generation of most Apple products. I purchased the iPad 3 when it was released (was it March sometime?).

I went to apple's website to look at the new iPad page and I came to this. http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/ Now, for whatever reason Apple seems to have strayed away from the numerical naming of iPad devices (much to my confusion). From what I see, Apple has all together removed the iPad 3 from production and now only sells the iPad 2 as the predecessor to the iPad 4.

So a product that isn't even 6 months old has already been discontinued? This kind of makes me angry. Especially with my purchase. I wonder what the ramifications of this decision will be when it comes to repairs on iPad 3?

Perhaps a damaged unit will get replaced with the next gen. iPad 4?

I am just confused as to why Apple would stop making the iPad 3, but continue selling the iPad 2 when the iPad 3 is clearly better than the iPad 2. The only reason why I could see them discontinuing the iPad 3, and instead push the iPad 2 is because the iPad 2 is probably cheaper to produce than the iPad 3. Apple wouldn't make as much money off of selling iPad 3's at the current discounted rate that the iPad 2 is now listed at.

I was really excited for today in regards to the iPad mini announcement. I feel that Apple announced some great upgrades for the mac side of things, but how they handled this whole iPad situation has left me somewhat disappointed.
Yes it's discontinued. But chances are it will be supported for a long time, because both the iPad mini and the iPad 2 have much inferior specs. iOS needs to take care of them until they're EOL'ed. So iPad 3 won't be abandoned in reality.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:29 AM   #3
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Why would you want a 3 when the 4 is better at the same price?
Yr Blues is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:59 AM   #4
akal575
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yr Blues View Post
Why would you want a 3 when the 4 is better at the same price?
If you read the OP I stated that I already have the iPad 3. I am more or less unhappy with the fact that it has been about 6 months since I got this and now they are discontinuing the iPad 3 as a product.
akal575 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:19 AM   #5
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Isn't the iPad 3 the new iPad, which is now the iPad with retina display?
Andeavor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:23 AM   #6
zhandri
macrumors regular

i think ipad will still be offered as a refurbished version
zhandri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:24 AM   #7
TreyCox
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroony View Post
Isn't the iPad 3 the new iPad, which is now the iPad with retina display?
Nope, iPad with retina display is the 4th gen.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:29 AM   #8
iParis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to iParis Send a message via MSN to iParis
Yes, the third gen has been discontinued to purchase as "new." I think people they kept the iPad 2 at $399 and didn't move the iPad 3 to that price range because it was too close to the fourth gen. I think it was more of a move to keep the iPad with retina display on par with other iDevices; iPod touch, iPhone 5, iPad mini, they all have a front facing 1.2MP 720p camera and lightning. The iPad 3 is too close in specs to the iPad 4 - I don't see a lot of people paying $100 more for a better iPad but it just has an upgraded FaceTime camera and and an A6X over A5X.
- Mac mini C2D 1.83GHz / 4GB ram / 120GB HD / 10.8.4
iParis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:39 AM   #9
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by akal575 View Post
If you read the OP I stated that I already have the iPad 3. I am more or less unhappy with the fact that it has been about 6 months since I got this and now they are discontinuing the iPad 3 as a product.
It's not like your 3 disappeared from your hands. Use it just like you did before the keynote address. It's just a tool.

If they keynote didn't happen, you'd still be happy with your iPad.

First world problems
Yr Blues is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:16 PM   #10
Jimbonski
macrumors newbie

Is there more to the story?

The one theory is that maybe there are issues with the iPad 3 and Apple simply is repairing them with the new, out of sequence, release? Well let explore the idea..1. Apple is still selling iPad 2. , but not 3.. 2. Out of normal cycle release.. 3. The fourth gen iPad has minor improvements not really revolutionary and yet it is here...so what is so wrong with the iPad 3? A faulty processor? Well let's wait and I think that soon we will learn the real reason..did Apple really "jumped the shark"?....If we are to look at the history, it might start to look like it is 1985 all over again, but this time Steve is not here the save them...
Jimbonski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:28 PM   #11
MR1324
macrumors 6502

the ipad 4 replaces the ipad 3. why is that so hard to understand? it is the replacement model. the ipad 2 is still around because there are people who don't care about retina, want a 10" ipad, and at a low price. most apple buyers really don't have a clue about how technology works.
MR1324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:32 PM   #12
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Oh no!!!!! iPad 3 discontinued means that yours no longer works and it's not the newest thing to brag about having.

Seriously.

Damaged iPad 3rd gen will get you an iPad 4th gen? Haha.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:33 PM   #13
TheWheelMan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbonski View Post
The one theory is that maybe there are issues with the iPad 3 and Apple simply is repairing them with the new, out of sequence, release? Well let explore the idea..1. Apple is still selling iPad 2. , but not 3.. 2. Out of normal cycle release.. 3. The fourth gen iPad has minor improvements not really revolutionary and yet it is here...so what is so wrong with the iPad 3? A faulty processor? Well let's wait and I think that soon we will learn the real reason..did Apple really "jumped the shark"?....If we are to look at the history, it might start to look like it is 1985 all over again, but this time Steve is not here the save them...
Idiotic rationale. What do you expect the iPad 3 to do, start giving people a disease? Explode and take out a city block? Transform into a Decepticon n the middle of the night and take over the world?

They sold MILLIONS of the 3rd Gen and most people are extremely happy with them. The only thing Apple did is up their release cycle to add the Lightning connector to the larger iPad to match the other products, and use that as a way to spur sales over the holiday season. The other minor upgrades are merely there to make it look more attractive to potential buyers. But the primary goal is very clearly to add the Lightning connector.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:27 PM   #14
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Samsung releases 6 tablets per year and everyone is excited to see the new one. Apple releases two in one calendar year and people get pissed off?

Someone call the whambulance...!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:53 PM   #15
J3ayy
macrumors member

I get where your coming from with this. You spend $400 on a product & then 6 months later its been discontinued Yea its annoying like some of the idiot remarks on here.
J3ayy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:02 PM   #16
Redrum509
macrumors regular

So what happens if your iPad 3rd gen needs replaced? They no longer offer 3rd gens so what would they do?
Redrum509 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:09 PM   #17
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum509 View Post
So what happens if your iPad 3rd gen needs replaced? They no longer offer 3rd gens so what would they do?
They undoubtedly have a stock of refurbs to replace them with.

And if they don't you get a new and better iPad.

Either way its not a problem and I don't see why this thread exists.
macsrcool1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:19 PM   #18
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum509 View Post
They still have ipad 3 replacements. They still have iPhone 4 replacements in store.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:45 PM   #19
DMotox
macrumors newbie

Its about consumer satisfaction...

Lets look at this rationally. I am a loyal apple customer. 3 iphones, 3 ipads,mac book and itouches in my household. All expensive equipment but worth it. Then i buy an ipad 3 believing i am getting the best for my hard earned dollar. Paid 699.00 for it then the ipad4 comes out a month later and they discontinue the 3. Apples reply to your loyalty.....Screw you buy another one.... This experience has been a slap in the face.... Apple should allow Ipad 3 users to be able to return there Ipads and pay like a 100 upgrade fee and get a 4. Just my opinion....

----------

Did you really post that here.... You cant even compare the products... Quality or price... You pay a premium for apple..... Look at all other tablet sales... ipad kills them all... Mainly because superior product and there focus on consumer satisfaction... This release angered alot of loyal apple followers... I spend thousands of dollars on apple products and possibly will spend thousands more but not if this is how they are doing business.... Keep your people loyal and offer Ipad3 users a low cost trade in option....Wait Apple dont want these back we are stuck with discontinued merchandise.
DMotox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:14 AM   #20
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Your iPad 3 didn't just randomly stop working when the iPad 4 came out. I have an iPad 3 and it doesn't bother me one bit. And to the above poster, many Apple retail stores were allowing you to swap your iPad 3 for the 4 if it was purchased within 30 days.

The iPad 4 wasn't even that big of an upgrade. They didn't change the form factor or add some cool new features. They updated a few things inside and threw a Lightning port on it.

Last edited by HazyCloud; Dec 28, 2012 at 01:26 AM.
HazyCloud is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:49 AM   #21
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

People are really whining about the ipad 4? Omg your ipad works fine suck it up.
tymaster50 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:08 AM   #22
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMotox View Post
Lets look at this rationally. I am a loyal apple customer. 3 iphones, 3 ipads,mac book and itouches in my household. All expensive equipment but worth it. Then i buy an ipad 3 believing i am getting the best for my hard earned dollar. Paid 699.00 for it then the ipad4 comes out a month later and they discontinue the 3. Apples reply to your loyalty.....Screw you buy another one.... This experience has been a slap in the face.... Apple should allow Ipad 3 users to be able to return there Ipads and pay like a 100 upgrade fee and get a 4. Just my opinion....

----------

Did you really post that here.... You cant even compare the products... Quality or price... You pay a premium for apple..... Look at all other tablet sales... ipad kills them all... Mainly because superior product and there focus on consumer satisfaction... This release angered alot of loyal apple followers... I spend thousands of dollars on apple products and possibly will spend thousands more but not if this is how they are doing business.... Keep your people loyal and offer Ipad3 users a low cost trade in option....Wait Apple dont want these back we are stuck with discontinued merchandise.
So if you buy a new $ 40,000 car, and a month later they introduce a new model, they are slapping you in the face and the dealer should give you a new one for $ 100 or so? Geez

The iPad3 still works, and if one breaks you can get it replaced or fixed.
old-wiz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:23 PM   #23
RevTEG
macrumors regular

You guys are replying to a 2 month old thread. I'm sure the OP is long over his frustrations at this point.
RevTEG is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:36 PM   #24
s15119
macrumors 6502a

There has never been a device know as an iPad 3.
s15119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:59 PM   #25
AppleRobert
macrumors 68020

Walmart had 3rd gens advertised for Black Friday on sale for $399. Maybe Apple stores stopped carrying them, doesn't mean they were discontinued everywhere. And there is a one year something or other warranty so why be concerned at this moment?
AppleRobert is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad