Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cooky560

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Around
Apple told me, that despite what it says on the tech specs page, the new Imac 21" WILL have user changeable slots, I asked because i don't have the space for a 27" iMac

cooky560

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
Around
Why has the 21" imac storage gone DOWN to 5400 from 7200 rpm, the cheapest iMac 21" as far back as 2010 had 7200 rpm and 4 ram slots

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Great summary, and good to hear about the GPU. I didn't see any mention of the ODD. I can see where that will be an issue for some, but I use my drive perhaps once or twice a year and wouldn't mind getting an external if I absolutely need to. My greatest concern is how well heat will be managed in the thinner form factor, but we won't know that for awhile.

Looking at the pics on Apple's website, it looks like the openings at the bottom of the case may be better for airflow than the current perforations, but we'll see.

Last edited:

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Apple giveth and apple taketh away.

Well is that your official opinion on the matter? You gave a very nice write up for sure, but it all seemed one-sided, especially for someone that was previously skeptical.

The 5400rpm is insulting if you ask me. I think the machines are amazing sounding, just as you. But come on, there is no reason for it (other than apple picking up a warehouse full of 5400s for extremely cheap and now they're passing them on to us for pure profit, or course).

They removed options, lowered some specs and raised the price. Again, I'm excited about them, but I don't think I'm quite convinced just yet.

Broseidon

macrumors regular
May 8, 2012
Great write up Seb!

Just wondering, as I know very little about GPU's - is the GTX660M in the base 27" any good?

tyche

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2010
If the BTO 21.5" Had the 675MX card and an 256 or 512GB SSD, it would have been a great option. Really seems Apple is forcing people up to the 27" and while a lot of people here love them, they are huge and more expensive than already pricey equipment. Would have been nice to middle ground where the smaller screen could still push some pixels.

The way the 27" drive situation looks to me is that the 768 is 2 SSD's in the two bays. 512+256. Just a guess.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
ODD is gone. I use an external BR writer, which works well, but it needs 2 extra cables for power and data so cable management becomes a bit of a nightmare if you have external drives and devices. I end up just keeping it in a cupboard and taking it a couple of times a year when I actually need to use it.

Agree. I already have enough stuff on my desk, so I'd keep it somewhere else, just like I do with my backup drives.

Densi

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Germany
660M for HD rendering and photo editing?

Hi,

Nice work, thanks!

Just a question regarding this:

It's not too bad for a mid-range mobile GPU. It depends on your needs really. If you're concerned about gaming...

Is it also good enough for HD rendering and photo editing?

Thanks and regards from Germany,
Daniel

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
How good is the 640m compared to the 6750m?

A 5400rpm HD is disgusting.

More talk about the 21.5" please.

laserbeam273

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2010
Australia
I'm not entirely sure on this, but if the 5400 RPM was partially due to a shift from a 3.5" to a 2.5", wouldn't the speed drop be not as bad?

Awesome write up by the way, thanks for adding a bit of sensibility to these forums. Turns out putting the best mobile GPU into an iMac isn't enough for some people... perhaps they envision an all-in-one that's as thick and heavy as a Mac Pro.

Only real decrease, other than the 5400 (personally I've realised that if you care about that stuff, you'd be better suited to a 27" - I'm selling my 21.5" and would only replace it with a 27"), is the loss of the optical drive. I'm very surprised that people care that much. I suppose people will never be satisfied.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
People need to be careful, Its all good rushing to have the latest but Apple are playing with their customers.
In a year or 2 the base iMac will probably be able to swap out ram and have a higher HD speed, they know they have a base of people that MUST have latest so will give you little and add each year.
If you can't wait then you need to order a higher spec which means more ££ to Apple.

Personally going to wait was going to buy but lower specs on some parts/ non upgradeable ram compared to 2011 model I just bought in feb, Means i'll hold out for a year or two to get more bang for my money.

PS Don't be fooled by thin edges either. this thing has a bigger bulge at the back than previous iMacs. This to might be rectified in a few years

guillemn

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
On the website says up to 768 SSD memory. I believe will be more configuration options.

Broooce

macrumors member
May 15, 2012
I have around £1250 to spend would I be better buying the base and upgrading to 16gb RAM or gong for the slightly better higher spec 21" but with only 8gb. Both will come in at roughly the same price I think

Thanks

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I'm not entirely sure on this, but if the 5400 RPM was partially due to a shift from a 3.5" to a 2.5", wouldn't the speed drop be not as bad?

If the new iMacs have shifted to 2.5" drives, that's a HUGE performance drop, regardless of platter speed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.