Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:53 AM   #126
mjtomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJackGig View Post
What are you smoking? It's nothing remotely like the iPad 3.
Actually it is. Other than the display and the number of GPU cores... it is the same. In fact, all the specs (other than the display and SoC) are the same as the iPad 4

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/
mjtomlin is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:53 AM   #127
jterp7
macrumors 6502a

the market will decide if its too expensive in the end. So unless this becomes a flop (I doubt it), they will not lower the price if they do not have to. If you think its too expensive then either wait for a refurb/open box deal or just don't buy it (wait for next gen with ipad 3 internals). My personal number was 249 also so I will wait.
iPhone 5S
jterp7 is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:53 AM   #128
rendevouspoo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpy34 View Post
Also, I know I am someone who doesn't mind spending more money for say Oakley sunglasses compared to a cheaper knock-off.
That's not a valid analogy at all. People that say such obviously have never handled the N7. It's closer to Oakley vs Costa Del Mar. Great products but appeal to different people.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:54 AM   #129
2bikes
macrumors 6502

Or wait for a year and when the new iPad mini comes, this could be $250?

I don't think this will be the case but would definitely be interesting. They have done this with iPod touch, iPhone, Macbook Pros and iPad.
2bikes is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:54 AM   #130
bboucher790
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFather View Post
Nexus 7 - higher ppi, NFC, more RAM, quadcore, GPS, $100 less expensive...
You had me at PPI and GPS, however:

If someone mentions RAM / quadcore one more time, comparing different platforms, I will take out my pistol and shoot it in the air. The Nexus 7 doesn't hold a candle to an iPad 2 in speed, regardless of what's inside. The marriage of software and hardware is a beautiful thing.

You cannot compare Android / iOS / W8 with specs. Just like you can't compare Linux / OSX / Windows with specs in the desktop world. Each platform requires different hardware to maximize performance....
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:55 AM   #131
unplugme71
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol7ron View Post
I think that if they had done 299, it would have been perfect. However that is just my opinion. I am sure that Apple will be churning these suckers out like crazy for the holidays...
At 299 people would bitch it wasn't 249.

At 249 people would bitch it wasn't 199.

At 199 people would bitch it wasn't 99.

At 99 people would bitch it wasn't free.

Amazon has an average product. Specs don't mean **** if you can't utilize it. Apple doesn't include the fastest hardware, but the apps that run on their products work great. People who buy based on specs don't know **** anyway. My $300 PC with core i3 runs *most* of the same apps and programs just as fast as someone who spent 1500 on their i7 PC. And very likely the people who have the i7 PC's don't use the 1% of apps that require a faster computer.
unplugme71 is offline   1
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:55 AM   #132
Want300
macrumors 65816

I will say that... Phil makes a good point... not only were there $200/$250 7" Tablet options, there were plenty of options between $300 and $500 for 9"/10" tablets... Plus, several of them had USB ports and SD card slots for additional memory.

Yet, the iPad still dominated the market.

Consider how many of those buyers did not buy the $399 iPad 2 or $499 16 GB iPad 3...

For every person who bought a 32 or 64 GB iPad 1/2/3, or anyone who purchased an iPad with Cellular capabilities. Each of those further widened the price gap between the iPad and their competition... Again, the iPad still was the number 1 seller.

-----------------------

On a side note, it has always amazed me how much iPad's and iPhone's hold their value compared to any other electronic. Smart phones and tablets in general hold their value pretty good.

It makes it easier to upgrade to newer models when the new features are worth the extra cash.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:55 AM   #133
bearcatrp
macrumors 68000

I could see it at this price IF it had retina display but think it should have been priced at 299. But hey, Don't like the price, Don't buy it. Pretty simple.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:55 AM   #134
DarkWinter
macrumors member

Of course he's going to defend it, but I find Phil's comments recently more and more irritating (or should I say infuriating) to say the least.

Let's wait until the teardown and see what the profit margin is on this one.

I was never for a mini in the first place, but this...
DarkWinter is offline   4
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:55 AM   #135
Rocketman
macrumors 603

A bigger screen, smaller and lighter form factor, long battery life, and a built-in profit, and still only that much of a premium? Actually, that's pretty good.

Plus it's a bunch more capable.

Let's do some "cost math". The cellular model is about $460. If you amortize that over a 1 year product release cycle, the monthly cost is $38.33. Not bad for the functionality. If you presume you sell the device each product release cycle and use one of those buy back services, which is the most frictionless not the best possible price means, they will pay around $300 for it, leaving you a net $160 for the newest model. That's only $13.33/mo. The cellular activation is $10 a month either way if you already have a smart phone too, and wifi is free. That is a very low Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).

Last edited by Rocketman; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM.
Rocketman is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:55 AM   #136
gto55
macrumors 6502a

Anyway, on many forums, people wonder whether it is not better buying an iPod Touch with "Retina" screen and 32gb or waiting for a potential upgrade of this iPad Mini in few months
gto55 is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:56 AM   #137
randy89921
macrumors newbie

the iPod touch is 299

How about they can't undercut the iPod touch.....why are we arguing about this?
randy89921 is offline   1
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:56 AM   #138
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJackGig View Post
He can attempt to defend the horrible price all he wants, but there is no defense for it. Screen and processor tech that's 2 generations old for 330 dollars is a complete joke. The only reason they're selling it this high is because sheeple will buy anything.
and the fandroids love paper specs

there has been software to mimick higher screen resolution for years. you can ship a crappy screen, license some software and report a higher resolution. that's why the Galaxy S3 screen quality looks like crap compared to the iphone 4S

and all the fandroids think that if you have higher clock speed it means better performance. hasn't been true, ever. Intel's CPU's run at half the clock speed they ran at a decade ago
alent1234 is offline   1
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:56 AM   #139
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
It will have to. It's a consumer electronics market after all. Everybody has to compete on price if they want to be a volume seller. What worked for Apple in small volumes (fanatical following) is not going to work on masses.
Not everyone has to compete on price, that's a fallacy. Apple don't and they never will, that's not their business model. If they forego volume, that's okay, they have high margins.

The moment they start competing on price, their competitors will all lower their prices, and it'll start a race to the bottom, and when Apple can't make money off their hardware at those prices, they'll have to start cutting corners, which is what every *other* manufacturer already does - they sacrifice quality for cost, and that's how they become competitive. That isn't Apple, and that's not the game they play, but I'm sure they enjoy watching all the other companies play that awful game. :-)
WilliamLondon is offline   1
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:56 AM   #140
S.L.
macrumors regular

would have paid $329 for retina. no bueno with these specs. i'm gonna pass until 2nd gen, at least.
S.L. is offline   2
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:57 AM   #141
engg2000
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandoech View Post
I for one think its a rip off, $249 to $299 TOPS. Thanks to the overpriced, in sufficient hardware, especially resolution it made my buying the Kindle Fire HD that much easier.
You're as funny as you are ill iterate. Cursing apple over $30? People spend $30 at Starbucks in a 5 day work week. You're not just paying for the hardware specs - which are superior to Kindles 3 fold. Its the available software as well. You can't do the same things with a kindle. I tried one. It's not even in the same league.
engg2000 is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:57 AM   #142
shiseiryu1
macrumors 6502

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by super tomtendo View Post
Stop talking about hardware people. This iPad is far superior when it comes to quality compared to anything else out there. AND, nothing is even remotely close to the app store ecosystem; that alone is with an extra 30-100 IMO.
I agree with this. However, people looking for an iPad mini very cheap should just wait until February when they start appearing the Apple refurbished store. I just checked yesterday and they're now selling the 3rd Gen iPad for $379...pretty aggressive pricing for the value you get.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:57 AM   #143
World Citizen
macrumors regular

399 for the 32 GB was an instant sell to me. 459 just sounds to much!

But hey, next year you get the 16GB one for 229... I guess...
World Citizen is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:57 AM   #144
PrometheusGeek
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFather View Post
Nexus 7 - higher ppi, NFC, more RAM, quadcore, GPS, $100 less expensive...
As we've seen in the larger tablet market, faster processors and more RAM in Android tablets doesn't make them superior. Apple is able to custom tailor their OS to run better on less. Say what you will... but the iPad Mini offers the same iPad/iOS/Apple ecosystem experience as the current dominant tablet in the market, for cheaper. They're not pricing them to compete with the cheapest. People will pay more if they perceive they overall product to be a better experience than cheaper products. It was that way with the iPod (less storage, higher price than the alternatives, but dominated the market); it's still that way with computers and laptops (you can get a LOT higher specs in a PC of the same price as a Mac); it's been that way with the iPad, and it'll likely be that way with the iPad mini. This has been Apple's model for years. Why would they change it now, when it's made them the most valuable company on the planet? The mini will sell just fine, whining notwithstanding.
PrometheusGeek is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:58 AM   #145
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Apple can do what they want...the critics can say all they want.

They said it about the iPhone and iPad and Apple proved them wrong.

Now, I will say, that having the guts of a 2 year old iPad though does make me not want to get it and not having Retina.

If you can pull off the iPad 2 at $499 and then make the iPad 3 have a Retina display and keep the $499 price point, then IMO you needed to make the iPad Mini have a Retina display and at $329 price point.

I'm going to pass and wait for the next version with the better chip and Retina display.
Ryth is offline   2
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:59 AM   #146
mjtomlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
I could see it at this price IF it had retina display but think it should have been priced at 299. But hey, Don't like the price, Don't buy it. Pretty simple.
$329 is a good price... it's an up-sell from a new iPod touch ($299)
mjtomlin is offline   0
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:59 AM   #147
soxmandan
macrumors member

It's just like when the first iPad was released.

"Too expensive, not enough features, not fast enough, no usb ports, no camera."

And people still went out to buy it. Now, I'm not saying that the iPad mini is amazing or anything like that, personally I won't be getting it, but it will sell.

Now the next generation iPad mini, that will be good.
soxmandan is offline   1
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:59 AM   #148
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
agreed. It is already out-dated with the technology inside as well.
Isn't it annoying that every product in technology is outdated as soon as it's put up for sale. haha. Maybe companies are afraid of being sell outs? Well apple seems to be always sold out so idunno.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:59 AM   #149
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

No big deal. They'll be at $275 in no time through the refurb store. Then $250-ish. I don't really understand the fixation on buying new unless you absolutely crave having the product right away. About a year ago, I decided to start purchasing all of my Apple products refurbed and I couldn't be happier. They ALL have arrived in better condition/ with less flaws than any I bought new previously. One thing I don't understand, though, is releasing it without a retina display when the iPod Touch even comes with one. That's a tad embarrassing.... not to mention it not having an A5X or A6 chip. That said, they will sell multi-millions and simply use retina as the selling point of the 2nd gen.
myrtlebee is offline   1
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:59 AM   #150
sleitch86
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleWarMachine View Post
They have to leave some things out for next years update...
I believe they chose this marketing strategy so that when they update the product next year. They can actually make a decent update. And they will bump the current one down to an 8gb or 16gb version and sell it at the 229-249 price point.
sleitch86 is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion