Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:28 PM   #26
haruhiko
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
The apple able is not a 10 cent cable. THere is considerable amount of electronics inside the end shells. In the 30 pin version there is an entire audio interface inside with A/D converters. Basically there is a tiny computer inside the cable.

Next we can ask if this is a smart design or not. Bt it is not a simple cable.
Wow, that's BS.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:29 PM   #27
spasticapple
macrumors newbie

I'm all for buying Apple branded accessories but charging $50 for a video adapter is absurd. It's because of the new Lightning's chip that they feel the need to justify the price raise.

Why couldn't they just lower the prices on the 30-pin video adapters to like $30, set the Lightning video adapters to $40, and follow that same pricing on the other accessories?

Quote:
Basically there is a tiny computer inside the cable.
There is? Can I run an old stripped version of OS X on it? :|
spasticapple is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:29 PM   #28
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

In a year, I'll probably have more than one iOS device that will include the official cable. No need to buy any cables.
BornAgainMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:30 PM   #29
MacDarcy
macrumors 6502a

$9 plus $4 shipping for a knock off that Apple charges $19 for? Puh-lease. I'll spend the extra $6 and get the real thing.
MacDarcy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:31 PM   #30
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Finally

At least there is finally an admission in this story that the cables do not have any secret Apple security built in.
everything-i is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:31 PM   #31
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Most companies have the connecter short circuit protected. What I'm saying is that I doubt you would damage the device with these cables.

Also, yes it has some active electronics. Still not expensive. The chips and such used probably add up to under a $1 anyways.

Its still a rip off.

Apple has always ripped people off with their dongles, adapters, cables, chargers. All of their accessories are overpriced anyways.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:31 PM   #32
elec999
macrumors regular

At the price I rather buy original.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:33 PM   #33
allpar
macrumors 6502

Ok...

While I see the attraction in saving $10, I agree with the guy who said, "So you risk a 400 device for a saving of 10 on a cable."

Apple most likely gets a greater profit, but it also gives you, almost certainly, a higher quality product. If you want to support "the cheapest crap we can ship while still passing the test for a week or two," feel free.

I've always felt it better to spend a bit more for something that's likely to last ten or more years.

I have my original iPods -- all of them as I upgraded -- I have an original clamshell iBook that's still in daily use (kids!), ... I could go on. Apple generally has high quality standards. Not always but in those cases they usually stand behind them. That's worth a bit of extra payout now. My time and stress level are worth more than $10.

Oh, and I DO remember SCSI cables. Only a fool would skimp on those. A good cable would save you endless troubleshooting.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:34 PM   #34
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnside View Post
Usually the first batch of accessories are risky, but after a couple months of testing, there is little issue. At this point, I would trust the iPhone5mod cables.
Yeh, there stuff does look pretty suspect.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:37 PM   #35
tempusthales
macrumors newbie

Good Luck

I wouldn't touch these cables with a 10 foot pole. Next thing you will have is that something goes wrong and you go to Apple to try and have your device fixed and they won't because you used an unauthorized cable.

Anything that is made from a Chinese manufacture that is unauthorized is very risky and wouldn't justify the cheaper cost.

I would rather wait till Belkin or Griffin come out with something than try these. At least they will be certified by Apple.
tempusthales is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:38 PM   #36
caffeinejoe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilo777 View Post
Since when have we started paying $30 for cables?
Ever hear of "Monster" cables? Obviously not iPhone related, but massively overpriced IMHO. It's somewhat of a niche market and some people think that price is directly tied to quality.
iPhone 4 S⃣ (32 GB)
caffeinejoe is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:40 PM   #37
Rocko1
Banned

$15 for a 3rd party cable that will inevitably break or stop working soon after purchase? No thanks. Ill spend $4 more for the real deal.
Rocko1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:40 PM   #38
burnside
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpar View Post
Apple most likely gets a greater profit, but it also gives you, almost certainly, a higher quality product. If you want to support "the cheapest crap we can ship while still passing the test for a week or two," feel free.
I've bought about 50 accessories in the past 5 years for Apple devices, all after market, and not one has bricked or fried my iDevice. Some may have not worked after a year, but hell, even the stock cables I got with my iPhone have had to be replaced within a year.

This cable is definitely different than the previous ones, but it ain't rocket science in the end. It's all hardware based, no software... which makes that one guy's statement about there being a computer in the cable laughable. Yes, using the base definition of a computer, there is one in that cable. Then again, a 10 year old car has over 100 computers in it, lol.
burnside is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:42 PM   #39
Rocko1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNB1tch View Post
why is a 10 cent cable $20 ?

Apple is turning into Best Buy
How old are you? This comment is just too ignorant to tear apart.
Rocko1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:43 PM   #40
Dorje Sylas
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything-i View Post
At least there is finally an admission in this story that the cables do not have any secret Apple security built in.
Yes, can we put that nonsensical rumor to bed at last.
Dorje Sylas is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:43 PM   #41
realeric
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
It does not appear to contain any true authentication features to prevent unauthorized connections from being made. At best, a Texas Instruments chip found in the connector provides only basic security in the form of a cyclic redundancy check (CRC) to ensure data integrity.
This. There are no authentication chips in the lightning cable. Making lightning cable is not so difficult as we think.
realeric is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:43 PM   #42
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Most companies have the connecter short circuit protected. What I'm saying is that I doubt you would damage the device with these cables.

Also, yes it has some active electronics. Still not expensive. The chips and such used probably add up to under a $1 anyways.

Its still a rip off.

Apple has always ripped people off with their dongles, adapters, cables, chargers. All of their accessories are overpriced anyways.
I used to think that way until a cheap iPhone charger copy I brought from Amazon market went bang and almost set my house on fire. Luckily it was in and put it out and the phone wasn't fried but it's not worth the risk. Also remember that the chips in the cable are only a fraction of the cost of manufacture by the way.
everything-i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:44 PM   #43
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Good news but I'll let someone else be the guinea pig. A $10 savings isn't worth frying my $600 iPhone.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:44 PM   #44
danielwsmithee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorje Sylas View Post
Yes, can we put that nonsensical rumor to bed at last.
It is still very silly to even use CRC and security in the same sentence.
danielwsmithee is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:45 PM   #45
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNB1tch View Post
why is a 10 cent cable $20 ?

Apple is turning into Best Buy
Where have you been? Apple has been the leader of price gouging on electronics forever.

And it actually costs a few dollars to make.

Quote:
The apple able is not a 10 cent cable. THere is considerable amount of electronics inside the end shells. In the 30 pin version there is an entire audio interface inside with A/D converters. Basically there is a tiny computer inside the cable.

Next we can ask if this is a smart design or not. Bt it is not a simple cable.
Exactly. I believe the cost from the 30 pin to lightning is a about a 1000% increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post
Wow, that's BS.
Call it whatever you want, but facts are facts. The lightning cables have more technology in them and thus cost more.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:45 PM   #46
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
When they are not just cables.
But they do not do anything that regular (say, USB) cables do. Was it a stupid decision on Apple's part?
lilo777 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:47 PM   #47
danielwsmithee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
At best, a Texas Instruments chip found in the connector provides only basic security in the form of a cyclic redundancy check (CRC) to ensure data integrity.
This sentence is a disservice to the otherwise great post. CRC does not provide basic security, it is not related to security at all.
danielwsmithee is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:47 PM   #48
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

Even the copies are expensive, looks like its not so much of a rip off after all.

Last edited by everything-i; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:52 PM.
everything-i is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:48 PM   #49
Che Castro
macrumors 601

This is still expensive
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:50 PM   #50
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by growlf View Post
Not old enough to remember SCSI drives, eh? A SCSI cable and a terminator would set you back more than this. WAAY more.
The problem is SCSI wasn't designed for regular folks, at least it wasn't adopted by regular users. Cost was one of these reasons. Regular folk had PATA, which was cheap.

The Lightning connected is like Parallel cables in your comparison; it's for regular folks, not for enterprises. The Lightning cable doesn't even have fast connectivity.

So yes there was a time where cables were expensive, but those were for enterprises and non-consumers. These are very expensive.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion