Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:13 PM   #101
scott911
macrumors 6502

I really just need extra cables for charging only - power and ground - I'm wondering if those two pins are hardwired?

I'd buy a couple charging only cables - one for each car, one for office, one for lake, etc... syncing can be done wirelessly.

bet monoprice could sell a six pack for ten bucks.
scott911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:15 PM   #102
ComputersaysNo
macrumors 6502

Here's the first one?

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/8-pin-lig...od5-nano7.html

Edit* Richardsim7 was faster than me.
ComputersaysNo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:16 PM   #103
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Pirates!

These guys should be hung, just like any pirate!

If they think that they are going to get away with this travesty, they got another thing coming to them. Apple is going to go to the ends of the earth to hunt them down and eradicate them and their cheap knockoff stolen crappy cables!

How dare they take Apple's IP, which took untold millions to develop, and to blatantly steal it? I mean really. Apple spends years and years, millions and millions of dollars, countless man-hours of the most talented engineers in the world to bring consumers the best connector ever conceived, and these guys steal all of it for a few bucks?

They should be ashamed. But theives have no shame. They are probably laughing at Apple. And by extension, they are laughing at the entire Apple community.

They need to be taught a lesson. And I am confident that they will be.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:20 PM   #104
1080p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Did you read the text you quoted?
Yes. Even with the chips present in the current lightning cables... I doubt cost is more than $1.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post

If they think that they are going to get away with this travesty, they got another thing coming to them. Apple is going to go to the ends of the earth to hunt them down and eradicate them and their cheap knockoff stolen crappy cables!

How dare they take Apple's IP, which took untold millions to develop, and to blatantly steal it? I mean really. Apple spends years and years, millions and millions of dollars, countless man-hours of the most talented engineers in the world to bring consumers the best connector ever conceived, and these guys steal all of it for a few bucks?

They should be ashamed. But theives have no shame. They are probably laughing at Apple. And by extension, they are laughing at the entire Apple community.

Thumb resize.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:21 PM   #105
ncaissie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want300 View Post
LOL.

This is good news though... Cuz it means its only a matter of time before we see $3 dollar cables on sites like Monoprice.com
Yeah but I have had nothing but bad luck with cheap cables. I had to replace my iphone 3GS and my daughters iPod Nano 4G quit working.
I want quality but at a decent price.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:38 PM   #106
avanpelt
macrumors 65816

Quote:

In my opinion, Apple should get out of the cable manufacturing business altogether and just license their technology at a reasonable price to companies that only make cables for a living -- not unlike how they handle displays currently.

Apple should focus on making great devices -- something they really know how to do -- and leave the cable manufacturing to third-party companies that can produce quality cables en masse like MediaBridge.
avanpelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:49 PM   #107
hamkor04
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Ok... so why is a $1 cable $20?
yeah, right why it is over priced(i know some ExpensiveCableaholigs don't like this comment , but who cares) or Apple got profit "Target" on these cables.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:51 PM   #108
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iEvolution View Post
There is literally no benefit to the adapter over the old one other than size.
Not true, it's also reversible. Not a huge thing, but it is nice.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:01 PM   #109
SchneiderMan
macrumors 604

I'm not one to buy knockoffs.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:05 PM   #110
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

The price including shipping for the unofficial one is only $5 less than a genuine one from Apple. Not worth it, in my opinion.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:12 PM   #111
picciano
macrumors newbie

Thanks, but no thanks

I will wait for the gold-plated lightning cables from Monster. I want to transfer bits with nice square waveforms, thankyouverymuch.
picciano is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:16 PM   #112
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
Not true, it's also reversible. Not a huge thing, but it is nice.
Im not sure if iEvolution was just trying to be coy. The real advantage to the cable apart from size and significantly improved ease of use (why o why didn't micro usb look like this) is that the pins can be assigned functions that don't yet exist.

The old analog cable had fixed predefined uses for each pin. The new one can put analog signals of some yet to be determined meaning on any of the 8 pins based on some future pin assignment definition.

As long as you can name that tune in 9 pins (the stub is the ground I believe) and the iphone can produce the appropriate signals, then you could make a lightning cable for it.

otherwise you have to use usb as a carrier with an interpreter on both ends to accomplish the transfer.

Take the VGA cable for example, its likely just identifying the pin definitions to the iphone for a certain set of signals, and it is obliging. Your monitor does not need to have a USB port and field video packets off of them to drive video. It gets standard anallog VGA video directly.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:18 PM   #113
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

gotta love the black & gray markets
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:32 PM   #114
SgtPepper12
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Im not sure if iEvolution was just trying to be coy. The real advantage to the cable apart from size and significantly improved ease of use (why o why didn't micro usb look like this) is that the pins can be assigned functions that don't yet exist.

The old analog cable had fixed predefined uses for each pin. The new one can put analog signals of some yet to be determined meaning on any of the 8 pins based on some future pin assignment definition.

As long as you can name that tune in 9 pins (the stub is the ground I believe) and the iphone can produce the appropriate signals, then you could make a lightning cable for it.

otherwise you have to use usb as a carrier with an interpreter on both ends to accomplish the transfer.

Take the VGA cable for example, its likely just identifying the pin definitions to the iphone for a certain set of signals, and it is obliging. Your monitor does not need to have a USB port and field video packets off of them to drive video. It gets standard anallog VGA video directly.
No, not true I'm afraid.
The lightning port can NOT be used for analog signals at all. It's exclusively digital, so it can theoretically port any kind of digital signal, but no analog. So if you have a Lightning to VGA adapter, the adapter does not tell the iPhone to give him some VGA signals, the adapter probably tells the iPhone to give him some HDMI data (or whatever standard is used natively) and transforms it to a VGA signal (which is rather complicated).
SgtPepper12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:38 PM   #115
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtPepper12 View Post
No, not true I'm afraid.
The lightning port can NOT be used for analog signals at all. It's exclusively digital, so it can theoretically port any kind of digital signal, but no analog. So if you have a Lightning to VGA adapter, the adapter does not tell the iPhone to give him some VGA signals, the adapter probably tells the iPhone to give him some HDMI data (or whatever standard is used natively) and transforms it to a VGA signal (which is rather complicated).
Yeah you may be right. Anyway the gist is the dynamic pin assignment.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:40 PM   #116
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMNB1tch View Post
why is a 10 cent cable $20 ?

Apple is turning into Best Buy
It's not a 10 cent cable. That is an ignorant statement.
Lark.Landon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:45 PM   #117
Westyfield2
macrumors 6502a

Don't care about fake cables, but yes please to the dock!
Mac Mini (2.6GHz quad i7, 16GB, 256GB SSD)
Westyfield2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:49 PM   #118
jwsmiths
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbru View Post
Except that they do... The pins are dynamically assignable. Just because you don't see any added benefit RIGHT NOW doesn't mean you won't later. I imagine most of the value of the change to Lightning will be down the road with accessories and then the eventual change to USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt when the iPhone's storage can support those speeds.

It also future-proofs the connector, assuring that future technologies that Apple doesn't know about yet (maybe different video out connectors, whatever) will be able to be supported by the lightning connector.
Exactly. And calling "Lightning" not high-speed is ridiculous. 1080p HDMI is up to 10.2Gb/s and the $50 adapter has to be able to take a 1080p movie coming from an iDevice's 9 pin Lightning connector and convert that to a 19 pin HDMI signal - that's why it costs so much. It combines great space efficiency with extremely future proof design and (as Apple's 3rd party partners are probably very happy about) makes a great market for 3rd party adapters for any number of things.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
In my opinion, Apple should get out of the cable manufacturing business altogether and just license their technology at a reasonable price to companies that only make cables for a living -- not unlike how they handle displays currently.

Apple should focus on making great devices -- something they really know how to do -- and leave the cable manufacturing to third-party companies that can produce quality cables en masse like MediaBridge.
You've never heard of the Apple Thunderbolt display I take it?
jwsmiths is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:56 PM   #119
iSee
macrumors 68040

Excellent!
The barriers to me owning anything with a lightning connector are coming down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
At best, a Texas Instruments chip found in the connector provides only basic security in the form of a cyclic redundancy check (CRC) to ensure data integrity.
CRC isn't security in any sense. This should just say: the connector has no security features.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:03 PM   #120
cwesch
macrumors newbie

The dock would be a million times better if it took the 30 pin cable as well!

What am I supposed to do with all my 30 pins cables? I don't even know how I have so many!
cwesch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:05 PM   #121
Lark.Landon
macrumors 6502

All I seem to be hearing from this thread is, " Apple is making too much profit! Oh no! It's overpriced! It's expensive! "

Cry about it more.

Companies exist to make profit.

If you don't like it, go be a hippy.

OR… here's a thought…

BOYCOTT THE PRODUCT AND STOP WHINING SO MUCH!
Lark.Landon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:12 PM   #122
brettizzle
macrumors member

eh, I think I'll stick to the apple one's for now
brettizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:14 PM   #123
Rocko1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark.Landon View Post
All I seem to be hearing from this thread is, " Apple is making too much profit! Oh no! It's overpriced! It's expensive! "

Cry about it more.

Companies exist to make profit.

If you don't like it, go be a hippy.

OR… here's a thought…

BOYCOTT THE PRODUCT AND STOP WHINING SO MUCH!
But that is what sniveling little self absorbed D-bags do. What else are they going to waste their time on? Contribute to society? Ha!
Rocko1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:17 PM   #124
tbrinkma
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I'm going to call a Poe on this.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post

Umm.... They already *do*. Just like they contract out assembly.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:18 PM   #125
maccompatible
macrumors 6502

I wonder when lightning cables will detect a jailbreak and refuse to work??
maccompatible is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion