Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2002
It's destruction.;) I can't see many pro's to this. Sure, you may not be able to illegally install programs on more than one computer, but it will be sure to fail because consumers will get pissed off and not buy it. Just my opinion.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by diorio
but it will be sure to fail because consumers will get pissed off and not buy it. Just my opinion.

Its not for comsumers to buy, but for people to receive from companies with info/music/movies that they don't want to have copied. Makes sense and I can see a use for it - whether it catches on is another thing.

D

diorio

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2002
Originally posted by dukestreet

Its not for comsumers to buy, but for people to receive from companies with info/music/movies that they don't want to have copied. Makes sense and I can see a use for it - whether it catches on is another thing.

D

I read the article but clarify something for me. These DVD's would be kind of like demo DVD's or something like that?

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by diorio

I read the article but clarify something for me. These DVD's would be kind of like demo DVD's or something like that?

Exactly - that's why the would be enviable for certain companies.

D

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
"Damn, I got sick all week and went to play your disk when i go back to the office and it wouldn't play. Can you send me another one?"

"Hey Bob left for Africa this morning for a week. What? The disk won't be playable after 60 hours? That's stupid, well, can you Fed Ex another next Monday then?"

I just see too many stupid cons to this. They are better off trying to lock the disk somehow.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by Computer_Phreak
why couldnt you just copy it within the first 36 hours?

:) duh

Give it to the person at 35 hours so they dont have time to copy it then :p

cjerens

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2002
That's exactly what I thought. "Hollywood ... is 50 or 60 steps ahead of everybody else," is a bunch of b.s. It's really the hackers who are.

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
Originally posted by cjerens
That's exactly what I thought. "Hollywood ... is 50 or 60 steps ahead of everybody else," is a bunch of b.s. It's really the hackers who are.

thats very true...

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by wdlove
I wonder if it would be like on Mission Impossible?

Yeah that would be cool. You insert the DVD watch it and it says this DVD will now self destruct. The DVD gives a command to the DVD player to eject and on ejection the DVD starts on fire globs of flaming plastic fall on your carpet set the carpet on fire and from there the whole world goes to hell.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I wonder if it would be like on Mission Impossible?

Did you even bother to read the article? It turns an opaque purple, rendering it unreadable. :rolleyes:

If you don't have something intelligent to say, don't say anything.

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I just thought that be a cool additonal effect.

Ha, not all that practical though. All that smoke gets in the computer and after a few self distructs you need a new computer - liability on something like that alone wouldn't make it fly.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by MacBandit

I liked my way of the process of self destruction better.:)

A much better version of a virus - there will be no recovery from that one :D

perhaps the laser would heat up the special plastic causing it to melt but only just enough to render the disk useless

or the drive could shoot the disk out of the computer or dvd player so that it goes flying into the oppisite wall and shatters
cool effect, somewhat dangerous. could be some lawsuits kids with shattered dvd lodged in their septum
happy holidays

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by Royal Pineapple
perhaps the laser would heat up the special plastic causing it to melt but only just enough to render the disk useless

Did you read the article? The disc is removed from its wrapping and it turns purple in 36 hours to become unreadable. Its not a matter of the laser making the change in the color, but it exposure to oxygen (is my guess). There is some reactive chemical in the disk that oxidizes and changes from transparent to opaque. Quite simple, actually.

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.