Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Balthazzzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Hi,

I just bought the Mac Mini 2.3 GHz i5 and installed 8 GB of RAM and I also replaced the 500 GB mechanical hard drive with the Samsung 830 128 GB SSD. Did a clean OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 installation.

I did some reading about the SSD before my purchase and other users with the same setup have boot up times between 13-15 sec when my setup is about 12 sec slower. :(

I did some benchmarks on the disk: read 449 MB/s, write 328 MB/s, so no problems there.

I have reset NVRAM and SMC and I have the SSD as the start disk.

Help!

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
Have you installed Trim Enabler and turned it on?

http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322

Also look to see what apps you have set to load at launch. Try setting everything to not start up and then try a cold boot and check the time.

But if all you are experiencing is a slightly slow boot up, while everything else works perfectly, I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying or tinkering with it.

Balthazzzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
Have you installed Trim Enabler and turned it on?

http://www.groths.org/?page_id=322

Also look to see what apps you have set to load at launch. Try setting everything to not start up and then try a cold boot and check the time.

But if all you are experiencing is a slightly slow boot up, while everything else works perfectly, I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying or tinkering with it.

Yes, I have enabled trim even though Samsung utilize garbage collection algorithms. Did it manually because the Trim Enabler software is shady.

No apps or programs is set to load at launch.

12 sec is not "slightly slow" when it comes to SSD:s.

cocacolakid

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2010
Chicago
So you're complaining that your i5 dual core system with 8gb of ram is taking 25-27 seconds to boot up.

My 2011 mini server with a quad core i7 and a Samsung 830 128GB SSD and 16gb of ram takes 22 seconds.

I don't want to sound harsh, but that is a ridiculous complaint. You're not having any problems with the machine, you just want it to boot faster to save you 12 seconds of waiting.

Balthazzzar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
So you're complaining that your i5 dual core system with 8gb of ram is taking 25-27 seconds to boot up.

Yes, because the boot up time should be 13-15 sec with my setup. The Macbook Air with 1.7 GHz i5 boots in just under 15 sec.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.