Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Poochi
macrumors 6502

Question iPad mini screen resolution

Just want to know what's the PPI for iPad mini? iPad 2, and retina iPad?

I know it would not be as pixelated as iPad 2, but how close is it to retina due to smaller screen size?

Honestly, 7.9" is a lot smaller in screen real estate and if 1024x768 is crammed into a smaller screen, the resolution might look very close to retina... Just thinking aloud.

Last edited by Poochi; Oct 24, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Poochi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:32 PM   #2
saving107
macrumors 603

See for yourself.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare//
saving107 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:33 PM   #3
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

the mini is 163 ppi....retina is considered anything over 240....pretty big difference.
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:34 PM   #4
treyjustice
macrumors 65816

iPad 2 is 1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Yr Blues
macrumors 68000

It has the same PPI as the iPhone 1, 3G, & 3GS
Yr Blues is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochi View Post
Just want to know what's the DPI for iPad mini? iPad 2, and retina iPad?

I know it would not be as pixelated as iPad 2, but how close is it to retina due to smaller screen size?

Honestly, 7.9" is a lot smaller in screen real estate and if 1024x768 is crammed into a smaller screen, the resolution might look very close to retina... Just thinking aloud.
To put it into perspective, with a resolution of 1024 x 768 on a 7.85" screen..
That puts the ppi to 163, the Nexus 7 has a resolution of 1280 x 720 on a 7" screen. It's ppi is 209.8 and it is almost retina, but still not quite.. so the iPad Mini is pretty far away from retina.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Poochi
macrumors 6502

Thank you.. Exactly the page I need.

iPad 2: 132 PPI - was an eye sore... that's why I upgraded to iPad 3.. but iPad 3 is not as comfortable to use due to its weight and heat.

iPad mini: 163 PPI - may look as bad since it's smaller you probably will hold it closer...

Does iPad 4 weigh the same as the old "New iPad" (3)? I am guessing it still is since Apple did not mention anything about it being any different during the keynote.

Might skip the upgrade altogether, but I really like the iPad mini weight

Thanks.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboyj View Post
To put it into perspective, with a resolution of 1024 x 768 on a 7.85" screen..
That puts the ppi to 163, the Nexus 7 has a resolution of 1280 x 720 on a 7" screen. It's ppi is 209.8 and it is almost retina, but still not quite.. so the iPad Mini is pretty far away from retina.
aweful

this feels like de ja vu all over again (iPad 1)

Probably no retina until 3rd generation mini?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816

Quote:

iPad 2: 132 DPI - was an eye sore... that's why I upgraded to iPad 3.. but iPad 3 is not as comfortable to use due to its weight and heat.

iPad mini: 163 DPI - may look as bad since it's smaller you probably will hold it closer...

Does iPad 4 weigh the same as the old "New iPad" (3)? I am guessing it still is since Apple did not mention anything about it being any different during the keynote.

Thanks.
Yes, the 4th gen iPad has the same casing, size, battery, screen as the 3rd gen.. only difference really is a different chipset and a different connector. It *might* be like 1 gram different.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:38 PM   #9
ckurt25
macrumors 6502a

Taking bets on the iPad Mini 2 having retina. Anyone want to bet against it? I'd be willing to put a couple bucks down that it will.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:39 PM   #10
Poochi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckurt25 View Post
Taking bets on the iPad Mini 2 having retina. Anyone want to bet against it? I'd be willing to put a couple bucks down that it will.
I would honestly pay $499 today for an iPad mini with retina and A5X (same graphics processing power as iPad 3) in smaller form factor.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:40 PM   #11
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816

Quote:

iPad 2: 132 PPI - was an eye sore... that's why I upgraded to iPad 3.. but iPad 3 is not as comfortable to use due to its weight and heat.

iPad mini: 163 PPI - may look as bad since it's smaller you probably will hold it closer...

Thanks.

----------

aweful

this feels like de ja vu all over again (iPad 1)

Probably no retina until 3rd generation mini?

Yes I was a bit disappointed in the iPad Mini's screen. It has the same 4:3 aspect ratio as it's big brother.. which I prefer to 16:9 like the Nexus 7. But the Nexus 7 has a much higher density pixel count. I'm really having a hard time deciding which to get.

Because the Nexus 7 not only beats it in screen resolution.. the iPad Mini uses the A5 chipset which is a dual core chipset clocked at about 1Ghz.
The Nexus 7 uses a quad core Tegra 3 chipset clocked at like 1.3Ghz. Not to mention it's about 40% cheaper.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckurt25 View Post
I'd hope so.. we're moving to a day where all screens are.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Daws001
macrumors regular

See I actually had buyers remorse when I upgraded from the iPad 2 to 3 (ended up selling it for a MBA). The retina display is great but the added weight made it uncomfortable as an e-reader. And although reading in Kindle was improved, I didn't think it warranted an upgrade for me. I think perhaps because you don't keep a tablet as close to your face as say an iPhone, I didn't notice a vast difference between retina and iPad 2 display quality. Magazines were noticebaly improved, though.

So the fact that the mini is far lighter, smaller, more comfortable to hold & it has a better PPI (over the 2)makes it a sell for me. I wonder if the screen has been improved in say color saturation or anything over the iPad 2's or if it's the exact same one (just smaller)?
Daws001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:43 PM   #13
Poochi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
See I actually had buyers remorse when I upgraded from the iPad 2 to 3 (ended up selling it for a MBA). The retina display is undeniably delicious but the added weight made it uncomfortable as an e-reader. And although reading in Kindle was improved, I didn't think it warranted an upgrade for me.

So the fact that the mini is far lighter, smaller, more comfortable to hold & it is a slight bump in PPI makes it sell for me. I wonder if the screen has been improved in say color saturation or anything over the iPad 2's or if it's the exact same one (just smaller)?
I would imagine it is a new screen, you cannot just cut the iPad 2 screen into 7.9" while maintaining the resolution...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daws001 View Post
See I actually had buyers remorse when I upgraded from the iPad 2 to 3 (ended up selling it for a MBA). The retina display is undeniably delicious but the added weight made it uncomfortable as an e-reader. And although reading in Kindle was improved, I didn't think it warranted an upgrade for me.

So the fact that the mini is far lighter, smaller, more comfortable to hold & it is a slight bump in PPI makes it sell for me. I wonder if the screen has been improved in say color saturation or anything over the iPad 2's or if it's the exact same one (just smaller)?
Rule of thumb, if Apple doesn't brag about an improvement.. it isn't there. If they upped the color saturation over the iPad 2's display, they would have mentioned it.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:44 PM   #15
FatGuy007
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I would honestly pay $499 today for an iPad mini with retina and A5X (same graphics processing power as iPad 3) in smaller form factor.
That's honestly impossible, the A5X is a thick, battery consuming chip, so a better option would be the A6X (honestly no because it is made for the iPad retina). Plus did you see how thin that battery is?! They would have to have magicians from hogwarts in foxconn to magically make that.

Really dissapointed with no retina as all devices on iOS 6 have retina except the iPad 2. But i'm still getting it The A5 isn't that bad, it was a breakthrough in technology.
FatGuy007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Poochi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuy007 View Post
That's honestly impossible, the A5X is a thick, battery consuming chip, so a better option would be the A6X (honestly no because it is made for the iPad retina). Plus did you see how thin that battery is?! They would have to have magicians from hogwarts in foxconn to magically make that.

Really dissapointed with no retina as all devices on iOS 6 have retina except the iPad 2. But i'm still getting it The A5 isn't that bad, it was a breakthrough in technology.
Good point. Didn't consider the size. I remember when A5X came out they bragged about the graphic core/speed.

Now A5 iPad mini, with a smaller screen to power, does it run, say inifinity blade 2 or real racing as nice as iPad 3? In both speed and graphics quality? That's what I am interested to know.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:50 PM   #17
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Good point. Didn't consider the size. I remember when A5X came out they bragged about the graphic core/speed.

Now A5 iPad mini, with a smaller screen to power, does it run, say inifinity blade 2 or real racing as nice as iPad 3? In both speed and graphics quality? That's what I am interested to know.
It will run games fine.. the A5X was needed for the retina iPad to keep a solid frame rate because it was pushing MANY more pixels than the iPad 2. The iPad Mini will essentially be identical in speed to the iPad 2.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:50 PM   #18
panzer06
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Yes, the 4th gen iPad has the same casing, size, battery, screen as the 3rd gen.. only difference really is a different chipset and a different connector. It *might* be like 1 gram different.
The LTE version 4th gen is 1.46 lbs and the 3rd gen LTE was 1.44 lbs so the new one is a bit heavier

Cheers,
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:51 PM   #19
Poochi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It will run games fine.. the A5X was needed for the retina iPad to keep a solid frame rate because it was pushing MANY more pixels than the iPad 2. The iPad Mini will essentially be identical in speed to the iPad 2.
hmm Don't remember the speed anymore on the iPad 2..

Will I see the reflection and shadow like on iPad 3 for Real Racing 2?

See... after getting spoiled by Retina (and now with Retina macbook pro), it's so difficult to go back.

But like I said, I really appreciate the smaller form factor and much much lighter weight...
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:52 PM   #20
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer06 View Post
The LTE version 4th gen is 1.46 lbs and the 3rd gen LTE was 1.44 lbs so the new one is a bit heavier

Cheers,
Really? They must have changed more than they stated.. because a chipset change, dock connector, and camera.. wouldn't really cause that much weight.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:52 PM   #21
Daws001
macrumors regular

Quote:

Taken from The Verge's hands-on:

Quote:
Applications I tried out seemed to run as snappily as anything on the 3rd generation iPad. Titles like Real Racing 2 seemed to take a little bit more time to boot up, but gameplay was fine and stutter-free. My suspicion is that fewer pixels to push around onscreen makes for speedier performance overall.
Daws001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:12 PM   #22
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816

Quote:
hmm Don't remember the speed anymore on the iPad 2..

Will I see the reflection and shadow like on iPad 3 for Real Racing 2?

See... after getting spoiled by Retina (and now with Retina macbook pro), it's so difficult to go back.

But like I said, I really appreciate the smaller form factor and much much lighter weight...
I'm not sure, I own RR2 but I bought it for iPhone and I rarely play it. I feel the same way, I'm on a rMBP atm, using my iMac feels very different now.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:06 PM   #23
FatGuy007
macrumors 6502

And may I say that the iPad 2 had a better geekbench score overall then the iPad 3.
FatGuy007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:28 PM   #24
IFRIT
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Mini with retina would of been a good device, the currant Mini is a cash cow built as cheap as possible for christmas.
IFRIT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:31 PM   #25
treyjustice
macrumors 65816

Quote:
agreed. My iPad 2 still runs every new game just fine and graphics lookn great...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad