Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Just want to know what's the PPI for iPad mini? iPad 2, and retina iPad?

I know it would not be as pixelated as iPad 2, but how close is it to retina due to smaller screen size?

Honestly, 7.9" is a lot smaller in screen real estate and if 1024x768 is crammed into a smaller screen, the resolution might look very close to retina... Just thinking aloud.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
the mini is 163 ppi....retina is considered anything over 240....pretty big difference.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Just want to know what's the DPI for iPad mini? iPad 2, and retina iPad?

I know it would not be as pixelated as iPad 2, but how close is it to retina due to smaller screen size?

Honestly, 7.9" is a lot smaller in screen real estate and if 1024x768 is crammed into a smaller screen, the resolution might look very close to retina... Just thinking aloud.

To put it into perspective, with a resolution of 1024 x 768 on a 7.85" screen..
That puts the ppi to 163, the Nexus 7 has a resolution of 1280 x 720 on a 7" screen. It's ppi is 209.8 and it is almost retina, but still not quite.. so the iPad Mini is pretty far away from retina.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Thank you.. Exactly the page I need.

iPad 2: 132 PPI - was an eye sore... that's why I upgraded to iPad 3.. but iPad 3 is not as comfortable to use due to its weight and heat.

iPad mini: 163 PPI - may look as bad since it's smaller you probably will hold it closer...

Does iPad 4 weigh the same as the old "New iPad" (3)? I am guessing it still is since Apple did not mention anything about it being any different during the keynote.

Might skip the upgrade altogether, but I really like the iPad mini weight :)

Thanks.

----------

To put it into perspective, with a resolution of 1024 x 768 on a 7.85" screen..
That puts the ppi to 163, the Nexus 7 has a resolution of 1280 x 720 on a 7" screen. It's ppi is 209.8 and it is almost retina, but still not quite.. so the iPad Mini is pretty far away from retina.

aweful :(

this feels like de ja vu all over again (iPad 1)

Probably no retina until 3rd generation mini?

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

iPad 2: 132 DPI - was an eye sore... that's why I upgraded to iPad 3.. but iPad 3 is not as comfortable to use due to its weight and heat.

iPad mini: 163 DPI - may look as bad since it's smaller you probably will hold it closer...

Does iPad 4 weigh the same as the old "New iPad" (3)? I am guessing it still is since Apple did not mention anything about it being any different during the keynote.

Thanks.

Yes, the 4th gen iPad has the same casing, size, battery, screen as the 3rd gen.. only difference really is a different chipset and a different connector. It *might* be like 1 gram different.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
Taking bets on the iPad Mini 2 having retina. Anyone want to bet against it? I'd be willing to put a couple bucks down that it will.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
Taking bets on the iPad Mini 2 having retina. Anyone want to bet against it? I'd be willing to put a couple bucks down that it will.

I would honestly pay $499 today for an iPad mini with retina and A5X (same graphics processing power as iPad 3) in smaller form factor.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

iPad 2: 132 PPI - was an eye sore... that's why I upgraded to iPad 3.. but iPad 3 is not as comfortable to use due to its weight and heat.

iPad mini: 163 PPI - may look as bad since it's smaller you probably will hold it closer...

Thanks.

----------

aweful :(

this feels like de ja vu all over again (iPad 1)

Probably no retina until 3rd generation mini?

Yes I was a bit disappointed in the iPad Mini's screen. It has the same 4:3 aspect ratio as it's big brother.. which I prefer to 16:9 like the Nexus 7. But the Nexus 7 has a much higher density pixel count. I'm really having a hard time deciding which to get.

Because the Nexus 7 not only beats it in screen resolution.. the iPad Mini uses the A5 chipset which is a dual core chipset clocked at about 1Ghz.
The Nexus 7 uses a quad core Tegra 3 chipset clocked at like 1.3Ghz. Not to mention it's about 40% cheaper.

----------

I'd hope so.. we're moving to a day where all screens are.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
See I actually had buyers remorse when I upgraded from the iPad 2 to 3 (ended up selling it for a MBA). The retina display is great but the added weight made it uncomfortable as an e-reader. And although reading in Kindle was improved, I didn't think it warranted an upgrade for me. I think perhaps because you don't keep a tablet as close to your face as say an iPhone, I didn't notice a vast difference between retina and iPad 2 display quality. Magazines were noticebaly improved, though.

So the fact that the mini is far lighter, smaller, more comfortable to hold & it has a better PPI (over the 2)makes it a sell for me. I wonder if the screen has been improved in say color saturation or anything over the iPad 2's or if it's the exact same one (just smaller)?

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
See I actually had buyers remorse when I upgraded from the iPad 2 to 3 (ended up selling it for a MBA). The retina display is undeniably delicious but the added weight made it uncomfortable as an e-reader. And although reading in Kindle was improved, I didn't think it warranted an upgrade for me.

So the fact that the mini is far lighter, smaller, more comfortable to hold & it is a slight bump in PPI makes it sell for me. I wonder if the screen has been improved in say color saturation or anything over the iPad 2's or if it's the exact same one (just smaller)?

I would imagine it is a new screen, you cannot just cut the iPad 2 screen into 7.9" while maintaining the resolution...

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
See I actually had buyers remorse when I upgraded from the iPad 2 to 3 (ended up selling it for a MBA). The retina display is undeniably delicious but the added weight made it uncomfortable as an e-reader. And although reading in Kindle was improved, I didn't think it warranted an upgrade for me.

So the fact that the mini is far lighter, smaller, more comfortable to hold & it is a slight bump in PPI makes it sell for me. I wonder if the screen has been improved in say color saturation or anything over the iPad 2's or if it's the exact same one (just smaller)?

Rule of thumb, if Apple doesn't brag about an improvement.. it isn't there. If they upped the color saturation over the iPad 2's display, they would have mentioned it.

FatGuy007

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2012
New York
I would honestly pay $499 today for an iPad mini with retina and A5X (same graphics processing power as iPad 3) in smaller form factor.

That's honestly impossible, the A5X is a thick, battery consuming chip, so a better option would be the A6X (honestly no because it is made for the iPad retina). Plus did you see how thin that battery is?! They would have to have magicians from hogwarts in foxconn to magically make that.

Really dissapointed with no retina as all devices on iOS 6 have retina except the iPad 2. But i'm still getting it :) The A5 isn't that bad, it was a breakthrough in technology.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
That's honestly impossible, the A5X is a thick, battery consuming chip, so a better option would be the A6X (honestly no because it is made for the iPad retina). Plus did you see how thin that battery is?! They would have to have magicians from hogwarts in foxconn to magically make that.

Really dissapointed with no retina as all devices on iOS 6 have retina except the iPad 2. But i'm still getting it :) The A5 isn't that bad, it was a breakthrough in technology.

Good point. Didn't consider the size. I remember when A5X came out they bragged about the graphic core/speed.

Now A5 iPad mini, with a smaller screen to power, does it run, say inifinity blade 2 or real racing as nice as iPad 3? In both speed and graphics quality? That's what I am interested to know.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Good point. Didn't consider the size. I remember when A5X came out they bragged about the graphic core/speed.

Now A5 iPad mini, with a smaller screen to power, does it run, say inifinity blade 2 or real racing as nice as iPad 3? In both speed and graphics quality? That's what I am interested to know.

It will run games fine.. the A5X was needed for the retina iPad to keep a solid frame rate because it was pushing MANY more pixels than the iPad 2. The iPad Mini will essentially be identical in speed to the iPad 2.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Yes, the 4th gen iPad has the same casing, size, battery, screen as the 3rd gen.. only difference really is a different chipset and a different connector. It *might* be like 1 gram different.

The LTE version 4th gen is 1.46 lbs and the 3rd gen LTE was 1.44 lbs so the new one is a bit heavier

Cheers,

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto
It will run games fine.. the A5X was needed for the retina iPad to keep a solid frame rate because it was pushing MANY more pixels than the iPad 2. The iPad Mini will essentially be identical in speed to the iPad 2.

hmm Don't remember the speed anymore on the iPad 2..

Will I see the reflection and shadow like on iPad 3 for Real Racing 2?

See... after getting spoiled by Retina (and now with Retina macbook pro), it's so difficult to go back.

But like I said, I really appreciate the smaller form factor and much much lighter weight...

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
The LTE version 4th gen is 1.46 lbs and the 3rd gen LTE was 1.44 lbs so the new one is a bit heavier

Cheers,

Really? They must have changed more than they stated.. because a chipset change, dock connector, and camera.. wouldn't really cause that much weight.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States

Taken from The Verge's hands-on:

Applications I tried out seemed to run as snappily as anything on the 3rd generation iPad. Titles like Real Racing 2 seemed to take a little bit more time to boot up, but gameplay was fine and stutter-free. My suspicion is that fewer pixels to push around onscreen makes for speedier performance overall.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
hmm Don't remember the speed anymore on the iPad 2..

Will I see the reflection and shadow like on iPad 3 for Real Racing 2?

See... after getting spoiled by Retina (and now with Retina macbook pro), it's so difficult to go back.

But like I said, I really appreciate the smaller form factor and much much lighter weight...

I'm not sure, I own RR2 but I bought it for iPhone and I rarely play it. I feel the same way, I'm on a rMBP atm, using my iMac feels very different now.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

Mini with retina would of been a good device, the currant Mini is a cash cow built as cheap as possible for christmas.

treyjustice

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
TX

agreed. My iPad 2 still runs every new game just fine and graphics lookn great...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.