Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmunge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 7, 2012
I looked on Apple's site and most speaker sets are ridiculously overpriced. I would want to spend in the 150-300 range and have a set that has good sound with hopefully a decent sub. I haven't bought speakers for a computer in a long time, with my last set being a creative 6.1 that had like 5-6 audio connections. Is everything blue tooth now or does it utilize USB3 or thunderbolt? As you can tell I'm quite a noob at audio in modern macs.

Thanks!

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I looked on Apple's site and most speaker sets are ridiculously overpriced. I would want to spend in the 150-300 range and have a set that has good sound with hopefully a decent sub. I haven't bought speakers for a computer in a long time, with my last set being a creative 6.1 that had like 5-6 audio connections. Is everything blue tooth now or does it utilize USB3 or thunderbolt? As you can tell I'm quite a noob at audio in modern macs.

Thanks!

Brand counts in this, apparently. I'm using an entry-level pair of Harman Kardons (no sub) from ~6 years ago, and they sound better than the Logitech and JBL multi-speaker kits I tried and then returned. Much better, in fact. So much so that it... kind of surprised me. Apple's old Cube stack sounded decent too IIRC but you'd have to buy them aftermarket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.