Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibis99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
this keeps popping up on my iPhone when I open Safari. Why? And yes I'm Jailbroken.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.PNG
    IMG_0066.PNG
    116.3 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
Wow that's strange. I'm getting something similar. When try to load a site, I get redirected to a page that says...

"This is probably not the site you are looking for!
You attempted to reach static.ak.facebook.com, but instead you actually reached a server identifying itself as a248.e.akamai.net. This may be caused by a misconfiguration on the server or by something more serious. An attacker on your network could be trying to get you to visit a fake (and potentially harmful) version of static.ak.facebook.com."

I've seen this a few times now. Not sure what it is exactly. After seeing your post it got me a little worried. I just started researching this. I came across this thread that diacusses this exact problem. If you care to read about it here's the link....

http://grownupgeek.com/e-akamai-net

If you figure out if this is legit or malicious please let us know. In the meantime, I'm going to clear all my cookies and cache to see if that resolves the issue. Ironically the website I was going to has absolutely nothing to do with Facebook or this "Akamai.net" reference. I'm trying to visit a legit site that I've been visiting for almost a decade now. I'll post if I find anything on this topic. Please do the same. Thanks!

Edit: it's probably worth mentioning that I don't have Facebook nor have I ever visited the site on my phone. This is very strange indeed. I only install packages from default repos and I oh visit normal, common sites.

seanwebb68

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
a248.e.akamai.net is the name of a server that belongs to a company called Akamai. Akamai, while unfamiliar to most Internet users, serves between 10 and 20 percent of all web traffic. The company operates a vast network of servers around the world and rents space on these servers to customers who want their websites to work faster. Rather than serving content from their own computers in centralized data centers, Akamai's customers can distribute content from locations close to every user. When a user goes to, say, Whitehouse.gov, their computer is silently redirected to one of Akamai's copies of the Whitehouse website. Often, the user will receive the web page much more quickly than if they had connected directly to the Whitehouse servers. And although Akamai's network delivers more 650 gigabits of data per second around the world, it is almost entirely invisible to the vast majority of its users. Nearly anyone reading this uses Akamai repeatedly throughout the day and never realizes it. Except when Akamai doesn't work.

ibis99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Funny thing is it I only see it when opening MacRumors from my iPhone. I have not seen it while opening any other sites in mobile Safari

a248.e.akamai.net is the name of a server that belongs to a company called Akamai. Akamai, while unfamiliar to most Internet users, serves between 10 and 20 percent of all web traffic. The company operates a vast network of servers around the world and rents space on these servers to customers who want their websites to work faster. Rather than serving content from their own computers in centralized data centers, Akamai's customers can distribute content from locations close to every user. When a user goes to, say, Whitehouse.gov, their computer is silently redirected to one of Akamai's copies of the Whitehouse website. Often, the user will receive the web page much more quickly than if they had connected directly to the Whitehouse servers. And although Akamai's network delivers more 650 gigabits of data per second around the world, it is almost entirely invisible to the vast majority of its users. Nearly anyone reading this uses Akamai repeatedly throughout the day and never realizes it. Except when Akamai doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.