Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:14 PM   #101
faroZ06
Banned

WTF is up with the 2012 6,1 model? Was that just a failed product? It's slower than the previous model by a lot...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacintoshMan View Post
Don't insult us with Xserves and say that the two are comparable. Does the new Mac Mini support ethernet bonding? oh wait, it only has one ethernet port.
They are comparable. The Mac mini makes a decent server, especially because it has no dedicated GPU to increase the price with no benefit for server usage. Thunderbolt allows for extra ethernet port(s?).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockney Rebel View Post
... when you don't buy it from Apple
Yeah, Apple really gouges you for the RAM. What a ripoff. And that's one of the reasons why I'd be least likely to buy a MBPR.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:34 PM   #102
RBR2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
Seems the dedicated GPU got the ax in favor of a quad-core CPU.
Why not "both"? (Dion Sanders)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcmc View Post
This is the best answer I've ever seen in this forum.

The truth has been said.
A few years ago when Apple reduced the price of RAM, someone observed that the price had dropped from obscene to merely outrageous.
RBR2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:39 PM   #103
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

So if the Mac Mini can be configured with 16GB of RAM then why can't the 13" rMBP have this much RAM too?

At least the RAM in the Mac Mini is upgradeable. The rMBP memory cannot be upgraded later.
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:40 PM   #104
JonG76
macrumors newbie

Possibly switching to mini from iMac

While I was originally planning to replace my 2006 iMac with the new low-end iMac before it was announced, I'm thinking the new Mac mini may actually be the better system for me.

I typically like to max out my RAM, and the entry-level iMac has no user accessible memory (not interested in paying Apple markup for RAM.) In addition, the $100 price increase and elimination of the optical drive further diminished the overall appeal of the iMac for me.

I'm leaning toward the Core i7 configuration of the Mac mini with the Fusion Drive. I'll buy a $50 external DVD drive for occasionally archiving video projects. I just hope that with the Ivy Bridge integrated graphics on the mini, I won't be regretting this decision after a couple of years and a few Mac OS upgrades.
JonG76 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:41 PM   #105
SeaFox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumple View Post
The benchmark score for the Intel 4000 is 523 vs. Intel Radeon HD 6330M @ 271?
The Intel Radeon you say?
SeaFox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:47 PM   #106
RBR2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinfreid View Post
I wanted to know whether or not Fusion Drive required a new build of OS X. Looks like it does. 10.8.2 12B2080.
Almost certainly. It is not entirely clear to me whether there are two separate physical drives which are seen as a single virtual drive or whether the SSD is merely non-volatile cache, but there was discussion about moving the most frequently used data, apps and so on to the SSD so there has to be some sort of software to manage this. The laptop hybrid drives which have been for some time used rather smaller SSD caches and, of necessity, juggled things around because of the limited capacity of the SSD.

It appears that the fusiondrive interface is SATA, which is unfortunate as this is a missed opportunity for Apple to use a PCIe controller (not merely a SATA controller on a PCIe connection) which would really shake things upl That would be "speed to burn".

RBR2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:49 PM   #107
johnmarshall4
macrumors newbie

HDMI Support > 1920x1200?

I was really hoping for two thunderbolt ports. I wonder if the HDMI port will be able to output 2560x1440 using SwitchResX. People claimed the older Minis would do that, though I never had the chance to see it in person.
johnmarshall4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:50 PM   #108
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 840quadra View Post
Just wished they put good graphics chipsets inside these things. The mini being the faceless iMac, it should at least be available with an nVidia GPU in the higher end models.
Agreed. Otherwise I love this.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:18 PM   #109
NocturnalEdit
macrumors newbie

Mac Mini probably cost $5-10 a month to own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
Ignorance is bliss I see. Sorry, but with FCP X's latest upgrade it's quite clear the Mac Pro arriving will be thee box to buy for one looking to work and I mean do serious work.
yeah, and in 3-6 months or so when the Mac Pros are released... They will probably start around $2500-$3000... for base model.

Meanwhile i can buy a Mac Mini now for $800 and get some work done now. Then I can sell it on EBAY for $750 when I want to shell out money for a new Mac Pro....

Mac Mini's hold their value incredibly well.
NocturnalEdit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:19 PM   #110
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by faroZ06 View Post
WTF is up with the 2012 6,1 model? Was that just a failed product? It's slower than the previous model by a lot...
There are two entries for 2011. Compared to the one on the left... I'm guessing the entry level model... it actually appears slightly better.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:29 PM   #111
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmarshall4 View Post
I was really hoping for two thunderbolt ports. I wonder if the HDMI port will be able to output 2560x1440 using SwitchResX. People claimed the older Minis would do that, though I never had the chance to see it in person.
Hdmi should be able o display Anything that a dual link dvi can unless you're using a dvi to hdmi adapter.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:38 PM   #112
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinneh View Post
Will the new iMac have a dedicated GPU?
Yup Nvidia GT640M, GT 650M, GTX660M, GTX675MX, and GTX680MX.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:42 PM   #113
darkplanets
macrumors 6502a

They should switch this system up... either it needs a dedicated GPU or they should switch it to ARM SOCs (multiple) to make a little workhorse.
darkplanets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:45 PM   #114
DesterWallaboo
macrumors 6502

I used to buy Mac Mini's at home for my kids. They would do homework and play Warcraft III and other games. But since they have moved to strictly onboard Intel video crap.... no more Mac Mini's for our home.
DesterWallaboo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:59 PM   #115
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacintoshMan View Post
Don't insult us with Xserves and say that the two are comparable. Does the new Mac Mini support ethernet bonding? oh wait, it only has one ethernet port.
They should do TB bonding anyway. 2-4 plugs.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:04 PM   #116
Marlor
macrumors regular

I'm going to upgrade my Early 2005 G4 Mac mini to the new US$799 model.

Looks like it will be a nice speed boost.

That said, other than support for the latest OS X versions, I have nothing at all to complain about with my G4 Mac mini. It's still working perfectly as a file server, TV recorder, mail server, usenet download box and webapp server. It's almost a shame to upgrade, there's nothing wrong with it.
Marlor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:12 PM   #117
USB123
macrumors member

Looking forward to getting one. Haven't properly used a Mac since about 2007 with the eMacs in university. Couldn't really afford one up until about now. It seems like a nice little machine.
But is the Mac Mini essentially a laptop-component computer? Does it have the longevity of an iMac?
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:17 PM   #118
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a

Picking up a MBP and a mac mini this holiday season.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:22 PM   #119
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombierunner View Post
I think for the prices apple charge for their macs, a ssd should come as standard across the board.
People are already bitching, whining, and complaining about the lack of a higher end GPU. The use of a standard magnetic media hard drive keeps the price down. SSD would would mean less storage and people would complain. They'd bitch about the increase in price because of it. It'd also mean less user upgradable options likely because they'd likely goto the kinda SSD they use in the MBA rather than a removable SSD drive like you see from third party makers.

Remember that the mini is a entry level machine. People want something that offers the lowest price and they don't want the fastest option. For 99% of those that are looking to buy this kinda machine, a standard hard drive gives them more than what they need without the extra expense and lower storage capacity that an SSD would offer.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:46 PM   #120
yellowjacket
macrumors newbie

Upgrading from 1 HDD to 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie View Post
Considering the price gap between the 6,2 and the 6,3, the only differences I can see are OS X Server and an extra HD. I don't need OS X Server, but I could do with the two hard drives.

I'm guessing it'll still be possible to upgrade the 6,2 with an iFixit kit to the hardware spec of the 6,3 and save about a ton in the process...
So it's possible to DIY add another HDD to the 6,2? Is there another HDD connection available to do so? That would save quite some money if that's possible.
yellowjacket is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:56 PM   #121
justinfreid
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to justinfreid Send a message via AIM to justinfreid Send a message via MSN to justinfreid Send a message via Yahoo to justinfreid Send a message via Skype™ to justinfreid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBR2 View Post
Almost certainly. It is not entirely clear to me whether there are two separate physical drives which are seen as a single virtual drive or whether the SSD is merely non-volatile cache, but there was discussion about moving the most frequently used data, apps and so on to the SSD so there has to be some sort of software to manage this. The laptop hybrid drives which have been for some time used rather smaller SSD caches and, of necessity, juggled things around because of the limited capacity of the SSD.

It appears that the fusiondrive interface is SATA, which is unfortunate as this is a missed opportunity for Apple to use a PCIe controller (not merely a SATA controller on a PCIe connection) which would really shake things upl That would be "speed to burn".

It's certainly appears to the user as a single drive.
Checkout the Ars Technica rundown on Fusion Drive:
http://arstechnica.com/information-t...oes-this-work/
and the Apple Support doc on the same:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446?v...S&locale=en_US
justinfreid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:11 PM   #122
aberhow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowie View Post
Considering the price gap between the 6,2 and the 6,3, the only differences I can see are OS X Server and an extra HD. I don't need OS X Server, but I could do with the two hard drives.

I'm guessing it'll still be possible to upgrade the 6,2 with an iFixit kit to the hardware spec of the 6,3 and save about a ton in the process...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
So it's possible to DIY add another HDD to the 6,2? Is there another HDD connection available to do so? That would save quite some money if that's possible.
Sooo... difference between same spec mini and mini Server =~ $200

iFixit dual drive kit cost =~ $70
1TB 5400 RPM SATA drive =~ $100
Sweat equity to install without munging it up =~ $30

Sooo.... where is this mega-savings to make it worth DIY???
aberhow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:48 PM   #123
linkgx1
macrumors 65816

Are people here over exaggerating about the lack of a gpu? I'm in the market for a new computer. $600 tops and most desktops I see don't have a gpu
linkgx1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:53 PM   #124
G51989
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkgx1 View Post
Are people here over exaggerating about the lack of a gpu? I'm in the market for a new computer. $600 tops and most desktops I see don't have a gpu
Well, ALL computers have GPUs. The One in the Mac Mini just sucks. Integrated Garbage.

600 tops?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9027&CatId=114

Here ya go, dedicated GPU.
G51989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:58 PM   #125
bolen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51989 View Post
Well, ALL computers have GPUs. The One in the Mac Mini just sucks. Integrated Garbage.

600 tops?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...9027&CatId=114

Here ya go, dedicated GPU.
Yikes! That's one ugly m************... If you feel that's a better choice over the mini then you probably shouldn't be buying Macs.
iPad Air | 32 GB | LTE
bolen is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion