Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

merlin01p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2012
hi all i bought an iphone 4 2nd hand from a collegue from work around a month ago which he said was unlocked and jailbroken,as i didnt have a sim for it at the time until now i didn`t check it,(he doesn`t work for use anymore so cant get money back)i now have a sim but all the phone says is connect to itunes iphone disabled,i cannot access any part of the phone to find out the firmware etc of the phone,
is there a way of unlocking/jailbreaking it myself ?
thanks for any help or advise

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
hi all i bought an iphone 4 2nd hand from a collegue from work around a month ago which he said was unlocked and jailbroken,as i didnt have a sim for it at the time until now i didn`t check it,(he doesn`t work for use anymore so cant get money back)i now have a sim but all the phone says is connect to itunes iphone disabled,i cannot access any part of the phone to find out the firmware etc of the phone,
is there a way of unlocking/jailbreaking it myself ?
thanks for any help or advise

Either your phone is broken or your colleague installed a tethered jailbreak. A tethered jailbreak is one where you have to connect the phone to a computer and run a jailbreak tool such as redsn0w to boot up the phone. If he installed a tethered jailbreak, you'll just have to find a tool to boot up the phone. If not, the phone needs to be restored to the latest firmware. Fortunately, iPhone 4 has a bootrom exploit. Since the bootrom is read-only, Apple can't patch it. However, if you want an untethered jailbreak, you'll have to wait for the developers to find an exploit in the software.

Perhaps you should have bought a used 3GS - the original 3GS bootrom has an exploit that allows an untethered jailbreak on any firmware.

Of course, if you just want an unlocked phone, just restore the phone using iTunes and call AT&T to see if they will unlock it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.