Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Gala
macrumors regular

How Long will Tweetbot for Mac last?

Just taking bets on how long Tweetbot for Mac will last in the MAS. Once their tokens are out they plan to pull it.

I'm thinking early next year.
Gala is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Never.

The people who wanted it, already bought it. You're forgetting that there's the official Twitter client and TweetDeck, both which are free. OS X Mountain Lion also has Twitter integration, which is enough for most.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:37 PM   #3
barredfreak
macrumors 6502

I'm not going to buy it.

Buying a Twitter app for $19.99 is unbelievable.
barredfreak is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:55 PM   #4
aaronvan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by barredfreak View Post
I'm not going to buy it.

Buying a Twitter app for $19.99 is unbelievable.
You pay for good software. Developers don't work for compliments.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:11 PM   #5
jamesr19
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You're forgetting that there's the official Twitter client and TweetDeck, both which are free.
Nothing compares to Tweetbot for Mac though! And although the official one is free, the development on it has stopped which means there won't be support for retina displays or any new features that Twitter rolls out.

$20 for a good piece of software is nothing! $20 to get the best experience for Twitter is something that someone has to base their twitter usage on...

GTX World: http://www.gtxworld.com
jamesr19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:53 PM   #6
squidkitten
macrumors 6502

At first I thought the price was outrageous, but $20 for an app I use everyday isn't too bad. Especially since Twitter for Mac isn't going to be updated anymore. I love the instant updating, which the regular Twitter app also had, but I especially love the ability to "blacklist" certain words/tags, because many of my friends livetweet along with TV shows, and it's nice to avoid spoilers if I'm not watching at the moment. It just runs great and looks great.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:56 PM   #7
Ram27
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidkitten View Post
At first I thought the price was outrageous, but $20 for an app I use everyday isn't too bad. Especially since Twitter for Mac isn't going to be updated anymore. I love the instant updating, which the regular Twitter app also had, but I especially love the ability to "blacklist" certain words/tags, because many of my friends livetweet along with TV shows, and it's nice to avoid spoilers if I'm not watching at the moment. It just runs great and looks great.
The iCloud timeline sync is amazing too.
Ram27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr19 View Post
Nothing compares to Tweetbot for Mac though! And although the official one is free, the development on it has stopped which means there won't be support for retina displays or any new features that Twitter rolls out.

$20 for a good piece of software is nothing! $20 to get the best experience for Twitter is something that someone has to base their twitter usage on...
Trust me, once you either forget to back it up, or it stops functioning, period, because of Twitter API changes, in a few months or so, you won't feel the same. More like, "Why did I buy $20 software that only lasted me 6 months?"

No one NEEDS Tweetbot. Is it nice? Yes. But there are other $20 priced software more worth your time.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:05 PM   #9
0dev
macrumors 68040

I actually used Tweetie for Mac until a few months ago. It stayed worked for a long time. But now I've got used to the web interface and I don't mind it. I'd rather have a cool app but opening the website in Chrome isn't exactly a hassle.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Twitter for shooting third party app developers in the back like this, but I don't think it affects my personal usage much at all.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:38 AM   #10
jamesr19
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Trust me, once you either forget to back it up, or it stops functioning, period, because of Twitter API changes, in a few months or so, you won't feel the same. More like, "Why did I buy $20 software that only lasted me 6 months?"
I don't think you quite understand how the Twitter API works... Once all tokens are used up, no more users can register to use the application. Existing users will still get full access to the Twitter API!

It is then up to the Tapbots how they go about distributing updates but they WILL continue to support it and there will always be somewhere it can be downloaded from.

GTX World: http://www.gtxworld.com
jamesr19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:06 AM   #11
lexvo
macrumors 6502a

Am I the only one who is having trouble with Tweetmarker syncing?
Tweetbot on the iMac doesn't pick up the marker set on iOS.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Paulyboy
macrumors 6502

I just purchased Tweetbot for the Mac and it won't launch for me. I keep getting the "This version has timed out. Please download a new one" message. I did use both the alpha and beta versions and never did revoke my token because I was pretty sure I would be getting this as an early Christmas present to myself. I attempted to fix the problem by deleting the app and reinstalling it. I also removed all the old Tweetbot files from my keychain. I've also restarted my Mac. Any suggestions on how I can get this up and running?

-PN
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:11 AM   #13
myxomatosis
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to myxomatosis
I donít usually accept to pay more than 10$ for an app that I donít use for my job, but I paid the 20 bucks for Tweetbot and honestly, I didnít regret it a single day since I bought it. This app is near-perfect and it just got better with the last update
myxomatosis is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store