Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hitman1717

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Was wondering what the best settings are for a new iPod classic (160gb) to optimize its sound.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Personally I've used the treble booster EQ on every iPod I've had. Cleans/clears the sound up nicely.

Rawkfist

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Texas
Listening through earphones I prefer the R&B setting. I use Sennheiser and JH Audio products, YMMV. Playing through a system that has it's own tone adjustments you need to turn the EQ off. While listening to spoken word I use vocal or there might even be a spoken word setting in the EQ.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
The amplifier in the iPod Classic is not that good. I would recommend replacing it. Go to Apple Store and try out the other iPods audio Quality.

If you really need a Classic size personal media player with better sound, maybe a Sony device is the right choice. DoubleTwist is a iTunes ish program that will sync with any device, it will even sync your iTunes library if you want so you dont need to manage your music in two places.

Chris92

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Louisville, KY
The amplifier in the iPod Classic is not that good. I would recommend replacing it. Go to Apple Store and try out the other iPods audio Quality.

If you really need a Classic size personal media player with better sound, maybe a Sony device is the right choice. DoubleTwist is a iTunes ish program that will sync with any device, it will even sync your iTunes library if you want so you dont need to manage your music in two places.

Do you know anything about the differences between the Classic's amp and newer devices' amps? I have never heard this before so I am genuinely curious.

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Do you know anything about the differences between the Classic's amp and newer devices' amps? I have never heard this before so I am genuinely curious.

soundwise, the ipod video 5g had the best sound out of an ipod i've ever heard. nothing comes that close. the iphones come close though. they use different DACs. the later devices use cirrus audio dacs and the video used wolfson dacs.
not to say that either of the companies are bad but the wolfson was much more high end than the cirrus ones they use now.If you have good headphones, use the flat eq or just turn it off.if you are very serious about audio quality, visit head-fi. they will you just how to get the most out of your music.Mainly, the best audio quality cna be gained through using the line out on the ipod and then feeding that to an external amp which then powers your headphones.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
soundwise, the ipod video 5g had the best sound out of an ipod i've ever heard. nothing comes that close. the iphones come close though. they use different DACs. the later devices use cirrus audio dacs and the video used wolfson dacs.
not to say that either of the companies are bad but the wolfson was much more high end than the cirrus ones they use now.If you have good headphones, use the flat eq or just turn it off.if you are very serious about audio quality, visit head-fi. they will you just how to get the most out of your music.Mainly, the best audio quality cna be gained through using the line out on the ipod and then feeding that to an external amp which then powers your headphones.

Yes if you take the audio digitally out from the dock connector you can use any amplifier you are able to hook up to it.

This is why I do not believe that the iPod Classic will be updated any more.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Was wondering what the best settings...to optimize its sound.

If interested in audio quality then you should not use any DSP manipulation. Besides changing the sound from the artist intent it also adds considerable distortion. The best way is it buy a quality pair of IEM's or headphones that have the timbre characteristics you like best. You could also add an amp if you want to go all out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.