Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1
Hitman1717
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Best sound settings for iPod classic?

Was wondering what the best settings are for a new iPod classic (160gb) to optimize its sound.
Hitman1717 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:59 PM   #2
puma1552
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Personally I've used the treble booster EQ on every iPod I've had. Cleans/clears the sound up nicely.
puma1552 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Rawkfist
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Listening through earphones I prefer the R&B setting. I use Sennheiser and JH Audio products, YMMV. Playing through a system that has it's own tone adjustments you need to turn the EQ off. While listening to spoken word I use vocal or there might even be a spoken word setting in the EQ.
Rawkfist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:56 PM   #4
braddick
macrumors 68030
 
braddick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Encinitas, CA
flat works best I have discovered.
braddick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:54 PM   #5
Siggen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
The amplifier in the iPod Classic is not that good. I would recommend replacing it. Go to Apple Store and try out the other iPods audio Quality.

If you really need a Classic size personal media player with better sound, maybe a Sony device is the right choice. DoubleTwist is a iTunes ish program that will sync with any device, it will even sync your iTunes library if you want so you dont need to manage your music in two places.
Siggen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Chris92
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Louisville, KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggen View Post
The amplifier in the iPod Classic is not that good. I would recommend replacing it. Go to Apple Store and try out the other iPods audio Quality.

If you really need a Classic size personal media player with better sound, maybe a Sony device is the right choice. DoubleTwist is a iTunes ish program that will sync with any device, it will even sync your iTunes library if you want so you dont need to manage your music in two places.
Do you know anything about the differences between the Classic's amp and newer devices' amps? I have never heard this before so I am genuinely curious.
Chris92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:03 PM   #7
wywern209
macrumors 65832
 
wywern209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: do you rly want to know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris92 View Post
Do you know anything about the differences between the Classic's amp and newer devices' amps? I have never heard this before so I am genuinely curious.
soundwise, the ipod video 5g had the best sound out of an ipod i've ever heard. nothing comes that close. the iphones come close though. they use different DACs. the later devices use cirrus audio dacs and the video used wolfson dacs.
not to say that either of the companies are bad but the wolfson was much more high end than the cirrus ones they use now.If you have good headphones, use the flat eq or just turn it off.if you are very serious about audio quality, visit head-fi. they will you just how to get the most out of your music.Mainly, the best audio quality cna be gained through using the line out on the ipod and then feeding that to an external amp which then powers your headphones.
__________________
2.2 GHZ quad i7 15" MBP 2011
Specs:AMD Radeon 6750m, 8GB 1333Mhz RAM, HR Anti-Glare,500GB 7200rpm HDD.
wywern209 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:15 AM   #8
Siggen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oslo, Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by wywern209 View Post
soundwise, the ipod video 5g had the best sound out of an ipod i've ever heard. nothing comes that close. the iphones come close though. they use different DACs. the later devices use cirrus audio dacs and the video used wolfson dacs.
not to say that either of the companies are bad but the wolfson was much more high end than the cirrus ones they use now.If you have good headphones, use the flat eq or just turn it off.if you are very serious about audio quality, visit head-fi. they will you just how to get the most out of your music.Mainly, the best audio quality cna be gained through using the line out on the ipod and then feeding that to an external amp which then powers your headphones.
Yes if you take the audio digitally out from the dock connector you can use any amplifier you are able to hook up to it.

This is why I do not believe that the iPod Classic will be updated any more.
__________________
13" MBP 2.8Ghz i7 128GB SSD + 750GB HDD 16GB RAM OSX ML
iPhone 5 64GB Black iOS6.1 Jailbreak
iPad 2 64GB Black iOS6.1 Jailbreak
ATV3 & Samsung 55" // iOS Dev Account
Siggen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:37 AM   #9
Julien
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman1717 View Post
Was wondering what the best settings...to optimize its sound.
If interested in audio quality then you should not use any DSP manipulation. Besides changing the sound from the artist intent it also adds considerable distortion. The best way is it buy a quality pair of IEM's or headphones that have the timbre characteristics you like best. You could also add an amp if you want to go all out.
Julien is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Resolved: Old iPod classic won't play music: New iPod classic Frozen Scepticalscribe iPod 3 Feb 19, 2014 04:18 PM
7th generation nano Sound quality better than ipod classic? mattg3 iPod 18 Dec 3, 2013 07:49 PM
Sound file compression when sync to Ipod classic Big Ron iPod 2 May 1, 2013 09:50 AM
Nano Watch Mock Up. Return of Classic iPod Classic Controls jozero iPod 2 Sep 6, 2012 12:09 PM
iPhone 4S/3GS iPod vs. iPod Classic Sound Quality/Volume NewAnger iPhone 1 Jul 1, 2012 05:05 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC