Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:01 AM   #1
cheddar-caveman
macrumors newbie

Dodgey power adapter

Usually, when I attach the power adapter to my Mac Air, the green light comes on, then it goes orange to show charging and finally back to green when charged.
Lately when I attach it, nothing happens, sometimes for several minutes, then the charge starts. What is going on here? Any body else having this sort of problem?
This is the second charger I've had in less than two years, surely I don't need another?
cheddar-caveman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:04 AM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar-caveman View Post
Usually, when I attach the power adapter to my Mac Air, the green light comes on, then it goes orange to show charging and finally back to green when charged.
Lately when I attach it, nothing happens, sometimes for several minutes, then the charge starts. What is going on here? Any body else having this sort of problem?
This is the second charger I've had in less than two years, surely I don't need another?
It's not unusual for there to be a delay before charging starts or before the lights change. As long as your Mac is charging properly, you have nothing to worry about. The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
Apple Notebook Battery FAQ
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:38 AM   #3
cheddar-caveman
macrumors newbie

Many thanks GGJ. Just thought something must be going on as the time it takes for the light to come on has gone from a few seconds to several minutes.
I'll read the suggested pages.
Cheers
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:17 AM   #4
cheddar-caveman
macrumors newbie

My fears were not ill founded as on Monday night the Mac Air didn't charge all night. Took the power adapter to PCW where I originally bought the computer and it was confirmed that this second power unit had also gone kaput after just ten months (same as the original).
As Apple only give you a 90 day warranty with replacement parts I needed to buy a new one.
Apple 60 (probably last another ten months) or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...665250&afsrc=1 for just 16.99 with a one year warranty. It's a no brainer!

New charger arrived today and Mac Air up and running - very pleased!
Old Nov 8, 2012, 08:50 AM   #5
oneMadRssn
macrumors 65816

I had a very similar problem with the charger that came with my MBA and the second charger I bought at the same time, both less than a month after launch of the 2011 model. It wouldn't charge when plugging in, sometimes twisting the charger in the socket would help, sometimes not.

It turned out the little plug part that goes into the walls (sometimes called the rabbit ears?) was the defective component. They replaced both at the apple store no questions asked, I assume because they have an abundance of them behind the counter there. Now both work just fine.
oneMadRssn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air