Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theturtle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I heard alot of horror stories about radioshack and signing a contract there.

unfortunately radioshack is the only place that has the iphone 5 in stock. Im planning on switching to verizon at the radio shack, is there any downsides? I remember someone saying if you cancel your contract, you have to pay the ETF to buy radioshack and verizon. Any help?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I heard alot of horror stories about radioshack and signing a contract there.

unfortunately radioshack is the only place that has the iphone 5 in stock. Im planning on switching to verizon at the radio shack, is there any downsides? I remember someone saying if you cancel your contract, you have to pay the ETF to buy radioshack and verizon. Any help?

If you're still under contract with a current carrier, no matter who you go to next, regardless of where you buy your new iPhone you're going to pay an ETF. Plus, it doesn't really matter you where buy. Whoever has stock just pick one up.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
If you cancel your current contract with your provider, you'll have to pay the ETF regardless of where you canceled it to start a new service with another carrier. This has nothing to do with Radioshack.

The only horror stories I've ever heard from Radioshack was that they make you buy cases sometimes, and that it's ****ing impossible to return a device to them if you feel like it's not up to your standards, even if you're within the damn return window. :eek:

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Theres nothing wrong with buying from Radioshack. Most of the stories were from people looking to buy full price iPhones but Radioshack refusing to do so and requiring a contract. Some stores sold them outright while most made the decision to require the contract so they could make commission.

Just keep a close eye on them, they're after the commission so watch for extra charges.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.