Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Dougler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
What size is everyone going for? I'm torn between 16GB and 64GB. Why? here are my two reasons.

1. Iphone 4S is 64GB and it's near full with pics/vids/music, so it would be really easy just to mirror my phone content on new iPad mini

2. 16GB, it's cheap, but content management would reduce it down to only podcasts, streaming radio, and games/ebooks.

Ultimately my end game if they release a retina version in a year I'll probably just sell this one to my dad for whatever the going rate is at the time, so I'm still stuck debating what size to go for, what would you guys do?

edit: how do I add a Poll?

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
I have a 64GB iPhone 5 and a MBA so I'm just getting the 16GB Mini. It's primarily going to be used as an e-reader and a portable tv around the house.

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
i plan on getting the 16gb mini. reasons for me is that i will use it primarily as an ereader, browser, email, netflix/itunes movie streaming.

my iphone is 64gb and is my primary external brain. i plan on getting a 128gb iPhone as soon as they're released. the mini is a temporary larger screen

The Dougler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
i plan on getting the 16gb mini. reasons for me is that i will use it primarily as an ereader, browser, email, netflix/itunes movie streaming.

my iphone is 64gb and is my primary external brain. i plan on getting a 128gb iPhone as soon as they're released. the mini is a temporary larger screen

Interesting, maybe I can get away with a 16gb. Maybe I'll pre-order a 16gb and see if it suits my use case, if not return and bump up to 64gb. Does anyone know if these will be eligible for education pricing?

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Torn between the 16 and 64???

Then just get the 32!

That's what I will be picking up. I find the 16 to be just enough, but not always. 64 would be overkill. 32 is perfect.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
I'm faced with a similar quandary. Normally go max capacity, but this will be the shortest lived iPad I've ever owned - retina will be instabuy - so Im thinking of going cheap. Only problem is Id struggle with 16gb - I like a nice selection of 1gb mkvs (transcoded to mp4) and a few gb of podcasts. That'd leave exactly zip for apps. Hmm.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I have a 16GB iPad 1 and a 32GB iPhone 4. When I upgrade the phone I will definitely go 64 because I keep a lot of music on there and like to use it to take long videos. My iPad has been ok at 16GB; I don't keep music on there, and I rarely need more than a few movies. What has been the real space hog has been my magazine subscriptions; many are now 500MB/issue, which adds up if you want to keep more than a couple of each magazine.

I'll probably go 32gig for my next iPad.

ME Nick

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Colorado
64 GB.
Reason, when you buy the retina version you'll want the 64GB.
You'll want to watch movies on it, play 1,000+ games on it, etc.
So, when you hear the first whisper of the retina iPad mini, sell the first gen for close to what you paid for, then buy the iPad Mini+ for ~$50-$75 bucks.

Problem solved.

The Dougler

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I'm faced with a similar quandary. Normally go max capacity, but this will be the shortest lived iPad I've ever owned - retina will be instabuy - so Im thinking of going cheap. Only problem is Id struggle with 16gb - I like a nice selection of 1gb mkvs (transcoded to mp4) and a few gb of podcasts. That'd leave exactly zip for apps. Hmm.

I'm right there with ya on that point. My concern is that because whenever the retina mini does get released (agreed on instabuy), and we collectively try to sell our 64gb Mini's they won't re-sell as well as typical Apple devices do.

----------

I have a 16GB iPad 1 and a 32GB iPhone 4. When I upgrade the phone I will definitely go 64 because I keep a lot of music on there and like to use it to take long videos. My iPad has been ok at 16GB; I don't keep music on there, and I rarely need more than a few movies. What has been the real space hog has been my magazine subscriptions; many are now 500MB/issue, which adds up if you want to keep more than a couple of each magazine.

I'll probably go 32gig for my next iPad.

My 1080p Iphone4s videos gobble up so much space, which is I guess partially causing my dilemma. I don't see myself loading on music like my phone though, but even my podcasts would eat 5gbs no problem, plus 2gb apps...ugh the known upgrade factor to retina I think is whats making it hard to go 64gb.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I have a 32 GB iPhone 4S so I'll be getting a 16 GB white ipad mini.

TBH i'm only using 7 GB out of 32 GB on my 4S so I doubt I'll need more than 16 GB.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
OP. Why sell iPad mini to ur dad? I never sell any electronics to my parents. If its used give it to them unless u are tight on money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.