Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:34 AM   #1
hfthomp
macrumors member

Applescript to Change File Permissions

Hello everyone, I have what I hope is an easy question that I just can't find the answer for...

I have a folder under the /Users/Shared/Pictures on my hard drive. This folder contains Lightroom catalog files and other things. When I create a new Lightroom catalog from my account I save it there. My wife has a user account on the same computer and she likes to be able to the pictures I save into Lightroom. In order to do this, I have to change the permissions on the file everytime.

Right now, my process is read pictures onto computer, import them into a newly created lightroom library (if needed), then using the terminal change the file permissions of the top Pictures folder so that she can read and write to everything in there.

I was wondering if there is a way to create an AppleScript that would allow me to have an icon on the desktop that I could click and then have it automatically go and change the permissions on this folder.

Is that possible? Thanks.
hfthomp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:19 PM   #2
kryten2
macrumors 6502a

Try this :

Code:
set thePath to "/Users/Shared/Pictures"
set theResult to button returned of (display dialog "This will change permissions on the " & thePath & " folder." with title "Change File Permisssions" buttons {"Cancel", "OK"} default button 2)
if theResult is "OK" then
	set theCommand to do shell script "your terminal command here eg chmod " & quoted form of thePath
end if

(*
-- or without the dialog
		do shell script "your terminal command here eg chmod " & quoted form of thePath
*)
Save as an application and put it on your desktop or drag it into the Finder Toolbar.

Last edited by kryten2; Oct 25, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
kryten2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming