Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
Alright so to start things off I've never owned an apple computer. But I bought a book g4 off ebay. I have yet to get it but in the add it said there was one key missing from the keyboard. In the pictures I noticed it was the key to the left of the spacebar. So after I won the bidding on the book I started to search for a replacement key or keyboard but i've had no luck finding one. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a ebay store or even online store I could find one to fix it. Also a diy on how to do it would be great. Ohyeah the Ibook model number is M9164LL/A. Thanks for taking the time to read

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Alright so to start things off I've never owned an apple computer. But I bought a book g4 off ebay. I have yet to get it but in the add it said there was one key missing from the keyboard. In the pictures I noticed it was the key to the left of the spacebar. So after I won the bidding on the book I started to search for a replacement key or keyboard but i've had no luck finding one. So I was wondering if anyone knew of a ebay store or even online store I could find one to fix it. Also a diy on how to do it would be great. Ohyeah the Ibook model number is M9164LL/A. Thanks for taking the time to read

Um, it looks like you got the 800MHz iBook. (You would have helped yourself by searching around these forums first, but that doesn't help you at all right now.) The G4 iBooks top out at 1.42MHz, I believe, and can't boot OS 9, though they can run OS 9 in Classic Mode through OS X. The latest OS for PowerPC Macs is Leopard 10.5.8, and it's generally recommended that you're running at a minimum of 1GHz for that version.

Back to your question. . .I don't know of any place where you can go to purchase a single key, though I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a replacement keyboard on eBay.

Though you've obviously no obligation to post it here, I am curious how much you paid for your iBook and what condition it's in according to the seller's ad.

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
Um, it looks like you got the 800MHz iBook. (You would have helped yourself by searching around these forums first, but that doesn't help you at all right now.) The G4 iBooks top out at 1.42MHz, I believe, and can't boot OS 9, though they can run OS 9 in Classic Mode through OS X. The latest OS for PowerPC Macs is Leopard 10.5.8, and it's generally recommended that you're running at a minimum of 1GHz for that version.

Back to your question. . .I don't know of any place where you can go to purchase a single key, though I wouldn't be surprised if you could find a replacement keyboard on eBay.

Though you've obviously no obligation to post it here, I am curious how much you paid for your iBook and what condition it's in according to the seller's ad.

Yeah I had no clue where to.post this. I did search ebay for avehole keyboard but im not sure if im not searching. For it correctly but I can't find one that is specifically for the book I bought. I did find some but im not sure they are the correct ones and i'm notand sure how to find out if it is. I paid $81 for the ibook and 19 for shipping. The description said it was in overall good condition. And would hold a charge for 3 hours with it up and running.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Yeah I had no clue where to.post this. I did search ebay for avehole keyboard but im not sure if im not searching. For it correctly but I can't find one that is specifically for the book I bought. I did find some but im not sure they are the correct ones and i'm notand sure how to find out if it is. I paid $81 for the ibook and 19 for shipping. The description said it was in overall good condition. And would hold a charge for 3 hours with it up and running.

Three hours is great for a 12-year-old iBook. You can look up specs and just about everything else for your Book at everymac.com. Also provides links for buying upgrades and accessories. I think you can max out the RAM at 1GB, but might be more than that.

Also, I found this on eBay. It's what you're looking for, though the price is about 25% if what you paid for the iBook. Maybe someone else here can help with a spare key or keyboard. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iBook...41?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item460344ec09

There are also threads here that can help you in speeding up your iBook with RAM, eliminating (mostly Intel) clutter, faster browsers and the like. If like many people here you're up to doing your own upgrades, there's help here for that as well (HDD, optical drive, etc.).

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
Three hours is great for a 12-year-old iBook. You can look up specs and just about everything else for your Book at everymac.com. Also provides links for buying upgrades and accessories. I think you can max out the RAM at 1GB, but might be more than that.

Also, I found this on eBay. It's what you're looking for, though the price is about 25% if what you paid for the iBook. Maybe someone else here can help with a spare key or keyboard. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-iBook...41?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item460344ec09

There are also threads here that can help you in speeding up your iBook with RAM, eliminating (mostly Intel) clutter, faster browsers and the like. If like many people here you're up to doing your own upgrades, there's help here for that as well (HDD, optical drive, etc.).

Yeah I didn't figure 3 hours was bad either. And I've found new batteries on ebay for fairly cheap for it (atleast I thought they were cheap for a battery. And apply at that) as to upgrades and things like that my plan was to get a little more familiar with the setup and decide if I like mac or pc. Like I said this is my first mac some im very excited. I've messed with them a few times but never any thing serious mainly just browse the internet on one. And thank you for searching a little for a keyboard. It is a little more than I would like to pay right at the moment but maybe ill be able to find one cheaper sometime in the future

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Yeah I didn't figure 3 hours was bad either. And I've found new batteries on ebay for fairly cheap for it (atleast I thought they were cheap for a battery. And apply at that) as to upgrades and things like that my plan was to get a little more familiar with the setup and decide if I like mac or pc. Like I said this is my first mac some im very excited. I've messed with them a few times but never any thing serious mainly just browse the internet on one. And thank you for searching a little for a keyboard. It is a little more than I would like to pay right at the moment but maybe ill be able to find one cheaper sometime in the future

A good way to start is to look through the FAQ section for PPC at the top of this forum. The PowerPC is no longer supported by Apple, so unless you have access to a time machine, forums such as this one are likely to be your best resource.

Also, browse the various PPC threads based on your interests.

If you're used to working with current Windows PCs, then you'll find your iBook is slow in comparison. Some threads here can help you with that.

But don't be discouraged. There are things you can do to make your iBook snappy for routine (and some better-than-routine) tasks.

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador

Ok, the price is good for the speed. Max out the RAM to 1 GB and it will be good for a lot of things. Being a former ibook G3 owner until 5 months ago (it burned), the ibook you bought will be very usable nowadays, you just need the right software.

And get the keyboard linked on a previous post. It is cheap

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
when you get the ibook, take a good picture of the keyboard up close showing the missing key and a couple around it and post it (or a link to it). i'll dig through the spare parts box and see what i can find. shouldn't be more than a postage stamp to send you one if i can find the one you're missing. best of luck.

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
Ask them for key you need for your iBook: http://www.powerbookmedic.com/White-iBook-G4-Keys---Individual-Key-Keycap-p-16601.html

There are full specs of your new purchase: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ibook/specs/ibook_g4_800_12.html

Check also sticky FAQ for PowerPC Macs for some upgrade and software tips.

Thanks that website with the specs is nice

----------

when you get the ibook, take a good picture of the keyboard up close showing the missing key and a couple around it and post it (or a link to it). i'll dig through the spare parts box and see what i can find. shouldn't be more than a postage stamp to send you one if i can find the one you're missing. best of luck.

Yeah I could do that.and that would be great

----------

Ok, the price is good for the speed. Max out the RAM to 1 GB and it will be good for a lot of things. Being a former ibook G3 owner until 5 months ago (it burned), the ibook you bought will be very usable nowadays, you just need the right software.

Alright thanks for the advice. Do you have any idea how much it will be to upgrade the RAM to 1gb?

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Ram in the iBook should be up to 1.25Gb. 256mb is built into the mother board and there is one free ram slot for up to 1Gb.

Typing this on my 1.2ghz iBook. Has been a few years but still kicks along great. Testimony to the build quality!

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=390475474863&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=85863197053. Is that a decent price?

----------

Alright I've got another question. Should I run a anti virus? If so what should I run?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
raudi01 said:
(ebay) Is that a decent price?

the stick on ebay is about $34 shipped. the same thing on OWC is $33 plus a buck something for USPS shipping. lifetime warranty, easy return if it fails, way better than ebay for about the same money is my 2 cents.

AMAZON also has some, bit cheaper if saving a couple dollars matters.

raudi01 said:
Alright I've got another question. Should I run a anti virus? If so what should I run?

hell no. don't run anything that will slow the beasty down, plus no need.

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
the stick on ebay is about $34 shipped. the same thing on OWC is $33 plus a buck something for USPS shipping. lifetime warranty, easy return if it fails, way better than ebay for about the same money is my 2 cents.

AMAZON also has some, bit cheaper if saving a couple dollars matters.

hell no. don't run anything that will slow the beasty down, plus no need.

What's OWC?

Last edited:

rjcalifornia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2012
El Salvador
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=390475474863&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=85863197053. Is that a decent price?

----------

Indeed, it is a fair price :)

You don't need an antivirus. BTW, which version of mac you have? Post screenshot! haha

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below). Also, Mac OS X 10.6 and later versions have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
  1. Make sure your built-in Mac firewall is enabled in System Preferences > Security > Firewall

2. Uncheck "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari > Preferences > General

3. Disable Java in your browser (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). This will protect you from malware that exploits Java in your browser, including the recent Flashback trojan. Leave Java disabled until you visit a trusted site that requires it, then re-enable only for the duration of your visit to that site. (This is not to be confused with JavaScript, which you should leave enabled.)

4. Change your DNS servers to OpenDNS servers by reading this.

5. Be careful to only install software from trusted, reputable sites. Never install pirated software. If you're not sure about an app, ask in this forum before installing.

6. If you're running Mountain Lion, check your Gatekeeper settings in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General > Allow applications downloaded from. For more information on these settings: OS X: About Gatekeeper

7. Never let someone else have access to install anything on your Mac.

8. Don't open files that you receive from unknown or untrusted sources.

9. For added security, make sure all network, email, financial and other important passwords are long and complex, including upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters.

10. Always keep your Mac and application software updated. Use Software Update for your Mac software. For other software, it's safer to get updates from the developer's site or from the menu item "Check for updates", rather than installing from any notification window that pops up while you're surfing the web.
That's all you need to do to keep your Mac completely free of any Mac OS X malware that has ever been released into the wild. While you may elect to use it, 3rd party antivirus software is not required to keep your Mac malware-free.

If you still want to run antivirus for some reason, ClamXav (which is free) is one of the best choices, since it isn't a resource hog, detects both Mac and Windows malware and doesn't run with elevated privileges. You can run scans when you choose, rather than leaving it running all the time, slowing your system.

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
Alright so everyone is giving amazing help. All I wanted out of this post is where to get a key or keyboard and we are now on upgrades. This has been a ton of help and thank you everyone. Im so excited to get it. The tracking says it should be here the 2nd :)

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
so I got it early :) so i am using it rite now to type this post overall its in decent shape the top of the keybaord is kinda lifted up so it like wiggles? kinda hard to explain without showing you in person but other than that and the missing the ket everything seems to be working good so far i like it so far and cant wait to start getting to know it

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
so I got it early :) so i am using it rite now to type this post overall its in decent shape the top of the keybaord is kinda lifted up so it like wiggles? kinda hard to explain without showing you in person but other than that and the missing the ket everything seems to be working good so far i like it so far and cant wait to start getting to know it

Congratulations on your new member of the family! ;)

If your keyboard is like mine, ther are two latches near the "esc" and "F12" keys. These are used to pop out and then re-seat the keyboard.

How are you connected to the Internet? Did your iBook come with Airport/Airport Extreme?

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
Congratulations on your new member of the family! ;)

If your keyboard is like mine, ther are two latches near the "esc" and "F12" keys. These are used to pop out and then re-seat the keyboard.

How are you connected to the Internet? Did your iBook come with Airport/Airport Extreme?

yes it came with airport extreme what is that? is that how it connects to wifi?

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
yes it came with airport extreme what is that? is that how it connects to wifi?

Yes, that's how it connects to WiFi. I don't thing your iBook came with APE installed unless it was ordered. Previous owner must have ordered it or had it installed after he bought it. It's good that you have one less thing to screw around with.

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
alright so ive come across another couple questions
1. can i do anything (without spending money) to speed this beast up?
2. how to i download like itunes and things like that? cause i dont figure this machine has the power to run the newest itunes? i might be wrong but im not entirely sure
3. also on safari every time i try to use google safari crashes :( any idead on why? it only does it for google

Last edited:

raudi01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2012
north west pennsylvania
alright as to everyone that wanted pictures i have no way of uploading them because my pc crashed and i dont have a camera just an android phone so idk how to get them onto the mac anyone have any ideas on how i could do that? lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.