Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KimMelton661

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
I bought the iPhone 5 and noticed after I started using it that I was having headaches more often. The screen always seemed excessively bright to me, even when I lowered the brightness. I ended up going back to my 4s because I was getting horrible headaches from it. Would it be pointless for me to buy the iPad 3 since it's retina too? It sounds stupid im sure, but the screen really bothered my eyes.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Would it be pointless for me to buy the iPad 3 since it's retina too? It sounds stupid im sure, but the screen really bothered my eyes.

I don't think anyone here can answer that question except you and/or your doctor.

For me, my iPad [3] is just fine and I don't get any headaches from viewing it.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
I'm sure the 4s has the same screen.

Perhaps it's just the size that's causing you a problem?

In which case you might find the same issue with an iPad. Have you tried using one in store to see?

ebelp

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
Like all iPhone models, you can adjust the brightness down to the point where it's almost completely dark, so I'm confused why you weren't able to find a tolerable level on your iPhone 5. Same with the iPad...you can either make it really bright or really dark. Borrow a friend's and check it out.

AmyK

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
What are you using it for when you get headaches?
I suffer from migraines they are one of the reasons I don't want to part with my kindle, the backlighting on the ipad/iphone make it more of a trigger if I read for longer than a few minutes.

With that I don't think that the 4S would be any better than the 5 for headaches, except that you already had the settings set the way you were used to.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I bought the iPhone 5 and noticed after I started using it that I was having headaches more often. The screen always seemed excessively bright to me, even when I lowered the brightness. I ended up going back to my 4s because I was getting horrible headaches from it. Would it be pointless for me to buy the iPad 3 since it's retina too? It sounds stupid im sure, but the screen really bothered my eyes.

Your 4S is Retina as well.

Crikey

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2004
Spencer's Butte, Oregon
Yes, the iPhone 4S and 5 both have Retina screens, though the iPhone 5's is larger. I don't know if that would be enough to make it more likely to trigger headaches.

Based on my own headache experience, two questions:
1) Stress in your life?
2) How's your blood sugar level?

Good luck. Headaches are no fun.

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012
The best advice I could give you is downgrade to a iPhone 1st Gen and a iPad 1, you won't have no more problems.

KimMelton661

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Yes, the iPhone 4S and 5 both have Retina screens, though the iPhone 5's is larger. I don't know if that would be enough to make it more likely to trigger headaches.

Based on my own headache experience, two questions:
1) Stress in your life?
2) How's your blood sugar level?

Good luck. Headaches are no fun.

Lots of stress, unfortunately...lol. I had no clue the 4s was Retina, I feel dumb now.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Both 4S and 5 are retina, but the screens aren't the same. The screen on the 5 have more contrast and color brightness. The 5 uses a new screen technology that makes the screen thinner than the ones on previous iPhones. The screen on the iPad 3 is more or less the same technology as the one on the 4S, so my guess is if you were all right with the 4S, you will be okay with the iPad 3. Now the new iPad 4, who knows which screen they used -- I guess we'll find out when people start getting hold of them. And I'm pretty sure the iPad mini, despite not being retina, also uses the same thin screen technology used in iPhone 5. Confused yet? :p

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
I had no clue the 4s was Retina...

Even though it's a Retina screen, it's also a *different* screen and device. Lots of folks are sensitive to flickering screens interacting with flickering fluorescent lights. If your iPhone 5 usage is the same as the 4S and nothing has changed in your environment then I would suspect the iPhone 5 screen as possibly flickering even if it isn't noticable.

Making some assumptions here to try and narrow it down: If you can, avoid using the iPhone 5 (if you still have it) around fluorescent or LED lighting and see if that helps. If you returned it, try a new one.

I would definitely not avoid Retina screens from your experiences so far. If it turns out that Retina screens bother you no matter what the device, make sure you return while you can.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009

Turn off auto brightness and adjust the brightness to a very low level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.