Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purpleinnej

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Yigo, GU
I have some RAW images from a photo shoot. I'd like to edit just the size (crop) them. But when I click on "edit" the image changes. Skin tones are red, etc. I'm not really sure why the thumbnails and original files are fine, but just clicking edit (before I even start editing) changes the image. If I crop and save, the saved image is now distorted as well.

Attachments

• DSC_1316.jpg
    DSC_1316.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 242

netslacker

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
This sounds like you're viewing the embedded jpg in the RAW file which gets updated the first time a RAW is opened by iPhoto (Aperture does the same thing).

If you open the image for viewing does it also change? ie: if you're seeing the image thumbnail and open it either for viewing or editing for the first time, iPhoto will re-render the view from the RAW data. The thumbnail that you first see on import is the embedded jpg in the RAW file. However, since iPhoto (and Aperture) do not render the RAW file the same as the camera would the view is then updated on first open of that image using the RAW data. From then on the thumbs and views will be rendered from the RAW data. This is normal behavior for RAW files since iPhoto/Aperture/etc do not render RAWs the same way as the manufacturer would and do not process RAW thumbs until the image is loaded for viewing or editing.

There is a setting in Aperture (not sure about iPhoto) that changes the behavior to process thumbs "on import" so that what you see in the photo lists is the same as the RAW image data, but this significantly lengthens the import time of images.

purpleinnej

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Yigo, GU
Thanks for your response. This is a one-time import of 11 pictures, so increased time isn't really an issue. I'll look into the import options in iPhoto and see if I can figure out how to tell it to import the jpeg instead of the RAW. Is that right?

purpleinnej

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Yigo, GU
This is how it looks after I "edit" it even though all I did was crop it. As soon as I open the edit screen it looks like this.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.