Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:50 PM   #1
flatfoot99
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
One PC one Mac mini.... KVM switch?

About to take the jump to my first Mac. Wife needs our pc occasionally so I'd only like one monitor, keyboard etc. Did a little searching and it looks like a KVM switch is what I need.

Any recommendations?

This looks like it will work:
http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Cable-S...rds=kvm+switch

I have a VGA monitor and I'm assuming I will need an apple mini port to VGA connector.

Thanks for any help.
flatfoot99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:52 PM   #2
flatfoot99
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
anybody???
flatfoot99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:11 AM   #3
obsidian1200
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Aside from getting that VGA adapter for the mini, that switch should do just fine, assuming the reviewers are being honest about their results.
obsidian1200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:30 PM   #4
flatfoot99
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsidian1200 View Post
Aside from getting that VGA adapter for the mini, that switch should do just fine, assuming the reviewers are being honest about their results.
thank you
flatfoot99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:07 AM   #5
nelupasilk
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
I am not familiar with Io Gear products. I am an installer and used KVM Switches all the time. I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech as they offer a wide range of CAT5 KVM Switch solutions.
http://www.kvmswitchtech.com/cat5-kvm-switch-c11641.htm
nelupasilk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:51 AM   #6
flatfoot99
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelupasilk View Post
I am not familiar with Io Gear products. I am an installer and used KVM Switches all the time. I would recommend checking KVMSwitchTech as they offer a wide range of CAT5 KVM Switch solutions.
http://www.kvmswitchtech.com/cat5-kvm-switch-c11641.htm
thanks but kinda pricey.... iogear for 24 bucks is working pretty good.
flatfoot99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7
pascalgagneur
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Here is a software kvm
http://synergy-foss.org/
pascalgagneur is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:02 AM   #8
teleromeo
macrumors 65816
 
teleromeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: kidnapped by aliens
That looks great but I think he wants to use one screen also.
__________________
wie heb ik aan de lijn hallo hallo
teleromeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:09 AM   #9
ArnarHauksson
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle
What about just using Remote Desktop to access the Windows machine?

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/remote-desktop-client
__________________
13" MacBook Pro [Mid 2010]
Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7 [Late 2012]
ArnarHauksson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:48 AM   #10
BigRed1
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalgagneur View Post
Here is a software kvm
http://synergy-foss.org/
Brilliant - I can't wait to try this out when I get home!
BigRed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:49 PM   #11
MatthewAMEL
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by pascalgagneur View Post
Here is a software kvm
http://synergy-foss.org/
This really does look amazing.

Has anyone used it? Lag issues? Resolution issues?

Thanks.
MatthewAMEL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:08 PM   #12
ArnarHauksson
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
This really does look amazing.

Has anyone used it? Lag issues? Resolution issues?

Thanks.
I use it for my set up. This is not really a KVM solution, it requires you to have a monitor for each computer. It just enables you to use one keyboard and one mouse. I experience little to no lag when controlling the client computer but sometimes the cursor doesn't show up without a right click to engage it.
__________________
13" MacBook Pro [Mid 2010]
Mac Mini 2.3Ghz i7 [Late 2012]
ArnarHauksson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 04:50 PM   #13
griefrev
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
I recently got one of the new minis for home and took my old mini to the office and got a KVM switch to pair it with the PC. Works pretty well, however the mini resolution on the PC monitor (17" vs the 21" I have at home) is not what I'd like. I've been fiddling with it, and hope it will get better, but even as it is it's better than the PC's image.

There is a little lag when switching between computers, but not enough to be a problem.
griefrev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:57 PM   #14
eschw95458
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I use this one with my 20" Imac for several years now without problems. I generally have several machines up on the bench. It may be more than what you need though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817399001

One thing that I really like about this unit is I can leave my itunes library playing and use a hotkey switch (ie. control, control, number of pc to switch to 2,3,or 4 then k then enter ) and the audio will continue playing from the imac and I can control the other pc's

Last edited by eschw95458; Dec 4, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
eschw95458 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 03:48 AM   #15
motrek
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatfoot99 View Post
About to take the jump to my first Mac. Wife needs our pc occasionally so I'd only like one monitor, keyboard etc. Did a little searching and it looks like a KVM switch is what I need.

Any recommendations?

This looks like it will work:
http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Cable-S...rds=kvm+switch

I have a VGA monitor and I'm assuming I will need an apple mini port to VGA connector.

Thanks for any help.
I don't know about that particular model but a few years ago I used an IO Gear switch between a PC and a Mac Mini and it worked perfectly. Very happy with their products and would happily buy again.
motrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:59 AM   #16
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
"This looks like it will work:
http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Cable-S...rds=kvm+switch"

You might also consider this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA

The difference is that this one has longer connecting cables (6' vs 3' on the one you posted). Could make the logistics of getting everything properly arranged much easier.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:22 PM   #17
mudsoma
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2008
No KVM on Mac Mini

There is a problem with the new Mac Mini not working with KVM switches.

Here is the issue:

The HDMI needs to be converted to VGA to work with most switches, but HDMI to VGA adapters don't allow communications from the switch to the mac mini so no signal is sent from the switch telling the mini that a monitor is there.

Apple claims that the Thunderbolt connection will do it but I have not tested it (Mainly because I use the TB connection for a mass storage device.)

Major fail on apple engineers part.
mudsoma is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:41 PM   #18
philipma1957
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsoma View Post
There is a problem with the new Mac Mini not working with KVM switches.

Here is the issue:

The HDMI needs to be converted to VGA to work with most switches, but HDMI to VGA adapters don't allow communications from the switch to the mac mini so no signal is sent from the switch telling the mini that a monitor is there.

Apple claims that the Thunderbolt connection will do it but I have not tested it (Mainly because I use the TB connection for a mass storage device.)

Major fail on apple engineers part.
works fine with hdmi I use this


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


and this


http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


with 3 pc ' s and 1 mac mini on this hdmi monitor


http://www.viewsonic.com/us/vx2253mh-led.html


new model is here

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009F1HUMQ

I use a logitech key board mouse combo

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wirel...keyboard+mk320


FLAWLESS SWITCHING
philipma1957 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:16 AM   #19
rivettmj
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
This really does look amazing.

Has anyone used it? Lag issues? Resolution issues?

Thanks.
I use the older version of this at work between a G5 and a windows XP desktop, and it works very well (not sure about the current version, but the old one was a little finicky to setup if you want the shared clipboard)

It won't work for this user since it requires two monitors. If the PC will only be used for Office-ish applications (aka: not games) I would look at turning on Remote Desktop on the PC and connecting to it from the Mac. (running the PC "headless" with no keyboard, mouse or monitor)
rivettmj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 01:04 AM   #20
blanka
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Just get a great monitor. The better ones have built in KVM like the NEC PA271W.
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 06:07 AM   #21
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanka View Post
Just get a great monitor. The better ones have built in KVM like the NEC PA271W.
KVM built into a monitor? Never heard of that and I don't see that in the specs anywhere for that NEC model.

----------

I've used the previous gen IO Gear KVM with my 2007 Mac Mini and a PC and it worked fine....however, not sure about the HDMI/VGA issue the other poster mentioned above, since the older Minis didn't use HDMI out.
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 02:58 AM   #22
blanka
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
KVM built into a monitor? Never heard of that and I don't see that in the specs anywhere for that NEC model.

----------

I've used the previous gen IO Gear KVM with my 2007 Mac Mini and a PC and it worked fine....however, not sure about the HDMI/VGA issue the other poster mentioned above, since the older Minis didn't use HDMI out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nec website
USB hub (2 up/3 down) with DisplaySync Pro
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa271w-bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6rEMm7RXcQ
The 2 up connections go to 2 computers, the 3 down to mouse, tablet, keyboard for example. DisplaySync then makes sure you operate the shown image with the connected USB devices. Very smart!
blanka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 05:58 AM   #23
fhall1
macrumors 68020
 
fhall1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: NY State of mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanka View Post
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa271w-bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6rEMm7RXcQ
The 2 up connections go to 2 computers, the 3 down to mouse, tablet, keyboard for example. DisplaySync then makes sure you operate the shown image with the connected USB devices. Very smart!
I'll be darned....never knew monitors with KVM features existed. Learned something new today.
__________________
2012 2.3GHz i7 Mini, 16GB RAM; 2009 2.93 GHz C2D iMac, 8GB RAM, GT120 GPU
1.83 GHz CD Mini, 2GB RAM, 200GB HD; 1.25 GHz 17" G4 iMac, 2GB RAM, 128GB SSD
64GB Silver iPhone 5s, 64GB White iPad Air
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:29 AM   #24
mslide
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanka View Post
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa271w-bk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6rEMm7RXcQ
The 2 up connections go to 2 computers, the 3 down to mouse, tablet, keyboard for example. DisplaySync then makes sure you operate the shown image with the connected USB devices. Very smart!
Kind of cool but that's an expensive option unless one was already planning on spending that much on a monitor.

One can get a USB switch for under $20 to take care of the keyboard/mouse part. The video part can be handled by just about any monitor since most support multiple inputs and switching between them. If not, DVI and HDMI switches are cheap.
mslide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2013, 09:47 AM   #25
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a
 
LeandrodaFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
forget switches, build 2 workstations!

Friend have a seperate desk and chair for the Mac, this way way both computers can be used simultaneouslly.

If you dont want to do this right away, I recomend you install Windows on your Macintosh, you can dual boot Windows and OS X. Functionallly, it will be the same as having an external switch in the same monitor.
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best KVM switch for Mac - PC combination ? gvanvoor Mac Basics and Help 1 Nov 22, 2013 09:21 PM
PC>KVM Switch<MAC mini DotCom2 Mac mini 6 Nov 10, 2013 11:05 AM
KVM Between Mac mini and Dual Screen PC? KamikazeKunze Mac mini 2 Jul 5, 2013 03:34 PM
Mac Mini 2011 (5,2) Radeon 6630M and KVM problems crhendo Mac mini 2 May 15, 2013 01:10 AM
KVM switch, share keyboard only between Mini & PC? Also, HDMI question. yegon Mac mini 10 Jan 7, 2013 10:09 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC