Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:41 PM   #1
puma4664
macrumors newbie

Exclamation imac bootcamp issue (SUPERDRIVE IS BROKEN)

hey i just wanted to ask how to install bootcamp on my imac since my superdrive isint working i bought the mba superdrive and changed the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist file to make it work but when bootcamp partitioned the disk after i inserted the windows 7 DVD then restarted but it would never work. it would always give a black screen with this (_) flashing

i tried to also use remote disk and change some files but still wouldnt work.

please i really need bootcamp on my imac is there anyway else to install it or am i have to gonna fix the internal superdrive

i also tried making a usb disk with my friends macbook air but it would say that it couldnt find the disk

Thanks

Puma4664
puma4664 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Project Alice
macrumors member

Hi, I had the same problem with my macbook pro, I replaced my drive after awhile, but I did manage to get windows 7 installed before hand.

Here's what I did:
I used disk utility to setup the boot camp partition, by shrinking the OS X partition, and creating a FAT32 partition right after it. (which is all the boot camp utility does anyways)

After that, I used parallels. I set up a VM, selecting the bootcamp drive as hard disk 1. I also made sure that hard ware was as close as possible, but its not too important (IE same amount of VRAM, and CPU cores).
Then I used an ISO image of windows 7 to install to the boot camp partition via parallels. Now heres the more important part. After setup already reboots twice, the next would be the "first start up". Close the VM, and then boot off of that partition. Windows will act as it was the first start on your mac. Then there you have it, windows installed. The next would be the drivers. I used an ISO image of my snow leopard DVD, and mounted in windows using this amazing utility: http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html its so much better and easier to use than daemon tools.
Then you would just install like its a real disc.
Now I was able to make an ISO image of my windows 7 DVD using a different computer. I don't know if one is available to you or not, but this is the only I can think of without replacing the optical drive. I suppose you could use FW target disk mode from another mac, but windows will not boot from firewire so i dont know if that would work or not.

I hope this helps.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:37 AM   #3
puma4664
macrumors newbie

OMG THANKS ALOT
but can u plz pzlplz either make a video for me or explain to me in step by step i have paralels but i dont get what u mean so please either make a video or a step by step tutorial with images thanks sooo much

puma4664

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Alice View Post
Hi, I had the same problem with my macbook pro, I replaced my drive after awhile, but I did manage to get windows 7 installed before hand.

Here's what I did:
I used disk utility to setup the boot camp partition, by shrinking the OS X partition, and creating a FAT32 partition right after it. (which is all the boot camp utility does anyways)

After that, I used parallels. I set up a VM, selecting the bootcamp drive as hard disk 1. I also made sure that hard ware was as close as possible, but its not too important (IE same amount of VRAM, and CPU cores).
Then I used an ISO image of windows 7 to install to the boot camp partition via parallels. Now heres the more important part. After setup already reboots twice, the next would be the "first start up". Close the VM, and then boot off of that partition. Windows will act as it was the first start on your mac. Then there you have it, windows installed. The next would be the drivers. I used an ISO image of my snow leopard DVD, and mounted in windows using this amazing utility: http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html its so much better and easier to use than daemon tools.
Now I was able to make an ISO image of my windows 7 DVD using a different computer. I don't know if one is available to you or not, but this is the only I can think of without replacing the optical drive. I suppose you could use FW target disk mode from another mac, but windows will not boot from firewire so i dont know if that would work or not.

I hope this helps.
please a step by step tut with pics or a vid
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:51 AM   #4
Project Alice
macrumors member

I will try to help you as best I can. But since I did this with my computer, I got a new hard drive, and SuperDrive. So I was able to install windows properly. But it is a lot easier than it sounds.

Ill try to throw together a walk through for you, I'll post back when I finish, but like I said I don't have it on my computer anymore so the only pictures I could post are of the parallels setup.
Project Alice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:01 PM   #5
puma4664
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I will try to help you as best I can. But since I did this with my computer, I got a new hard drive, and SuperDrive. So I was able to install windows properly. But it is a lot easier than it sounds.

Ill try to throw together a walk through for you, I'll post back when I finish, but like I said I don't have it on my computer anymore so the only pictures I could post are of the parallels setup.
OMG THANKS ALOT i just dont understand when you said

"After that, I used parallels. I set up a VM, selecting the bootcamp drive as hard disk 1. I also made sure that hard ware was as close as possible, but its not too important (IE same amount of VRAM, and CPU cores).
Then I used an ISO image of windows 7 to install to the boot camp partition via parallels."

but can you explain the whole thing in detail but especially the part i quoted thanks
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:56 PM   #6
puma4664
macrumors newbie

when i use bootcamp as HD 1 where do i save the .pvm & what SATA or IDE or SCSI do i use when im chosing HD 1

Thanks

Last edited by puma4664; Oct 26, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:58 PM   #7
balamw

You may want to take a look at this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414

In which many approaches to solve this problem have been discussed for years.

B
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:39 PM   #8
puma4664
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down

I REEALLY DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT THEY MEAN +im using parallels please someone make a vid or something and answer my above questions

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:41 AM   #9
puma4664
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
You may want to take a look at this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=601414
Plz i dnt understand what they mean in the above link plus i have paralels not vm ware is they use in the above link plz help & answer my above questions and plz try to make a step by step tut

Thanks
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:33 AM   #10
puma4664
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

Quote:

Here's what I did:

I hope this helps.

i did what you told me above
i set the bootcamp partition as HD 1

but this is what happend

i formated the bootcamp partition via paralels but when i click install here this is what happens

& then

(btw i already formated it ) & on mac osx its un mounted

& then

THIS IS THE PROBLEM PLZ HELP ME

Last edited by puma4664; Oct 27, 2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:37 PM   #11
puma4664
macrumors newbie

Unhappy

GUyS PLEASE HELP ME
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:09 AM   #12
thepalestblue
macrumors newbie

This is an older version of Parallels, but this guide may be helpful:

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.co...r-with-no.html
thepalestblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 08:09 AM   #13
puma4664
macrumors newbie

the terminal thing isint working for me when i type i the commands

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac