Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ohjaypee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Stafford, UK.
Considering in the UK it's £100 more expensive, it doesn't come with an optical drive and the SD card issue, I've took the plunge and bought the 27" baseline 2011 model. I use CDs all the time, and I'm constantly using the SD card out of my DSLR.

It will be a huge upgrade from my MBP (2009 model).

Really disappointed with this update, I was hoping for a performance related update rather than an aesthetic one. Loss of optical drive is the deal clincher for me. It's a desktop it SHOULD have that capability...

zoffdino

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2009
For the past 30 we all know the best way to build a performance computer is to put everything in a big rectangular box, get the fastest, hittest components and coolr it down with massive fans. If you are looking for pure performance, the iMac 2011 is overpriced for your purposes. The Mac is about performance as much as design. Ever since the first Mac, you know you are paying for part a beautiful computer.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
The optical drive on the iMac was dinky anyway. I always used a full-sized, better external one.

UK price premium sucks though, £100 is about 160 bucks in the USA. I'm teetering on the edge between a refurb, or waiting for new model. That would probably break the deal for me as well.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
You know, you can get an external DVD drive?

They are super cheap and work perfectly with the imac. The SD card reader problem fair enough.

But for the price you paid, I'd say you got ripped off. Only 160 bucks cheaper? I'd want it to be at least 350 bucks cheaper.

But each to their own. I think the new machines are wickedly good and apart from no firewire 800, I'm stoked with them.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Considering in the UK it's £100 more expensive, it doesn't come with an optical drive and the SD card issue, I've took the plunge and bought the 27" baseline 2011 model. I use CDs all the time, and I'm constantly using the SD card out of my DSLR.

What's the SD card issue? :confused:

ohjaypee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Stafford, UK.
I paid £1100 for the 27", education discount, with Magic Trackpad + Mouse.

Essentially as much as the 21.5" new imac would cost me...

adit

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007

It will be a huge upgrade from my MBP (2009 model).

Really disappointed with this update, I was hoping for a performance related update rather than an aesthetic one. Loss of optical drive is the deal clincher for me. It's a desktop it SHOULD have that capability...

Did you get a refurb from the apple store or sourced one from elsewhere? I'm on the fence at the moment and can't decide which one to get either.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
In my opinion, this is the most significant iMac update in forever.

- USB 3.0 (a massive upgrade)

- Better, less reflective screen (people have been crying and whining FOREVER for this and we finally got it)

- New design (a matter of opinion, but I love it.)

- Twice as much ram in entry level model (can't upgrade 21.5" yourself, but 8GB is plenty)

- Twice as large HDD in entry level model (option of SSD or fusion HD)

- Faster processor.

- Better graphics cards.

Sep 10, 2012

- Better, less reflective screen (people have been crying and whining FOREVER for this and we finally got it)

- Twice as much ram in entry level model (can't upgrade 21.5" yourself, but 8GB is plenty)

- Faster processor.

- Better graphics cards.

... I completely agree with you, Lynn ;)

Also, if an external optical drive goes wrong you just replace it. If the SuperDrive goes wrong in an iMac the whole thing has to go away for repair!

The new iMac is tasty.

adit

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
I paid £1100 for the 27", education discount, with Magic Trackpad + Mouse.

Essentially as much as the 21.5" new imac would cost me...

That is an awesome deal. I rang the Trafford centre this morning enquiring if they had any Imacs left and unfortunately there was nothing. I too was looking to get the old one with student discount if possible. Did you get yours on the 25th?

Enjoy your new computer. :)

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER

- Faster processor.

- Better graphics cards.

Yep. I'm totally with you. I think the screen is going to blow us all away. It may not be retina, but it's going to be gronktastic at the very least!
I really think this is a huge update and specs wise on the 27s Apple has really given us highly capable machines. Add the fact that the machines should run cooler with the newer cooler CPUs, cooler running GPU series (from what I've read) and no internal DVD drive and we should get a computer that won't need as much servicing... hopefully!

element1108

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2008
Toronto
Yep. I'm totally with you. I think the screen is going to blow us all away. It may not be retina, but it's going to be gronktastic at the very least!
I really think this is a huge update and specs wise on the 27s Apple has really given us highly capable machines. Add the fact that the machines should run cooler with the newer cooler CPUs, cooler running GPU series (from what I've read) and no internal DVD drive and we should get a computer that won't need as much servicing... hopefully!

True but gen 1 redesigns have their own problems ... Especially if these supply constraints are true. (I tell myself that so I sleep better for the following reason)...

Lovely machine, I wish I could wait until December, Nov 12th was my deadline and I can't imagine I'd even get a BTO 27 before the new year.

Got a tricked out 27 2011 discounted. I'll be keeping me eye on these ones if the 2013 "pro x" doesn't command my attention.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
The new less reflective screen and the GPU is the biggest plus for me. Everything else is icing on the cake. I don't understand why people are disappointed. Dvd's are a dying format. If you need to use it then just buy a cheap external drive.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
I'm sort of bummed none of these iMacs have standard SSD, by now. Not even the high-end.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
The biggest advantage of an external DVD is if it fails, get it fixed (I assume it would be covered by the Apple care warranty?) or buy a new one when out of warranty.

If the internal one dies it's a big cost to fix, not to mention the time you don't have your iMac. Unless I can talk them into giving me one I'm not getting the DVD, will try sharing my G5s one and look at getting BluRay depending on the cost.

USB3 and Ivy Bridge are the big bonus for the new iMac. Plus the new screen and Fusion HDD.

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
My biggest complaint is from the entry level 21.5"; they went (downgraded) to a 5400rpm drive. That leaves me scratching my head and heading to the refurb store.

I could live w/ the lack of the OD and maybe even the firewire port, but going to a slower HD is not going to get it for me in a desktop. Unfortunately I can't spend more on a computer at this point, so entry level it would be for me.

The new look is cool mind you, and kudos to those getting them, but the 2011 model will suit my needs better from an entry level standpoint.

falcon362

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
New York City
My first reaction to the omission of the optical drive was negative. But now, I realize that better than just having a CD/DVD burner, I will be able to have a Blu-Ray external drive.

Buffalo makes a USB 3.0 drive that is just $140.00. Only negative is that is in a black case and not silver to match the iMac.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
Agreed, just imagine the cost of the 768 SSD BTO, and lets not even begin to forget how much apple charges for upgrades. Minimum $1000+.

768gb SSD is $500 build option for the retina macbook pro so I assume it's the same for the iMac. Well actually now that I think of it, since an SSD is standard on the rMBP they probably take the price of the SSD into account with the price of the rMBP. The 768gb alone for the iMac will probably be super expensive.

Last edited:

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
768gb SSD is $500 build option for the retina macbook pro so I assume it's the same for the iMac.

The $500 is the cost to go from a 512GB SSD to a 768GB SSD. On the iMac you'll be going from a 1TB HDD to a 768GB SSD, so the price will probably be $900 - $1000.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
just a quick tidbit i read somewhere that the iMac is not that skinny as it claims to be they refer to in my words the slight bulge at the back of the machine apart from this in terms of physical shape its the same except the fact that the machine has become an anorexic supermodel. it also depends what you need if you are going to use it for if you must have a optical disc drive than go for the 2011 or 2012 models which still work great as a matter of fact my 2010 model is working great on 8gb of ram.

P.S i was going to change my machine next year for the new ports and the airplay feature but it might be earlier depending on if i will fall in love with this new design also using a retina macbook i wonder how the new imac screen will compare seeing the panel is closer to the front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.