Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
If a person buys a 2011 iMac with HDD, takes it to an Apple authorized repair shop, and has the HDD replaced by an Apple SSD, will that affect the Applecare warranty? I know a non Apple SSD would probably void the warranty.

dndlnx

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Internal upgrades on the iMac are sorta grey area. I think most people would agree, it shouldn't technically void anything. Even if it's a third party SSD.

But you're having an Apple certified technician do it, and using an OEM drive? I wouldn't worry about it, dude.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
If a person buys a 2011 iMac with HDD, takes it to an Apple authorized repair shop, and has the HDD replaced by an Apple SSD, will that affect the Applecare warranty? I know a non Apple SSD would probably void the warranty.

I have no direct experience, but everything I've read here from people reporting actual experiences (as opposed to opinions) is that your AppleCare is not voided by adding non-Apple parts either by yourself or through an authorized dealer - as long as the installation itself didn't break anything.

However: If the non-Apple part should break in such a way as to cause other problems then your AppleCare may be void. For example, if a chip on the SSD blows and sparks over to logic board, then you may not be covered.

Also... The new part - even if an Apple part - may not carry the same warranty coverage as original part covered by AppleCare. Whatever warranty the shop quotes you, get it in writing. Also - clarify what happens if the new part fails and takes out the logic board.

Internal upgrades on the iMac are sorta grey area. I think most people would agree, it shouldn't technically void anything. Even if it's a third party SSD.

I disagree. I don't think it's a grey area at all, at least not from the experiences of people I've read who have made warranty claims.

Ak907Freerider

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2012
I dunno I called to have SSD installed on my iMac 2011 through a apple certified shop and was told flat out my apple warranty would be void if I did the upgrade. Check with the shop you are going to use and if they give a green light if you ever do have warranty work bring it to them. Maybe even record them saying it wont void warranty haha sound shady but could save yourself the trouble of he said she said.

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I've got a question regarding Apple care. If you purchase it what happens after the 3 years, is there anyway to cover your product further or are you at the mercy of any problems that may occur?

If I'm buying a good iMac I'm buying it to last and intend on keeping it far longer than 3 years

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
No, installing any parts will not void AppleCare
That is false. There are only certain parts that the user may install/replace without voiding the warranty.

Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty - Mac
This warranty does not apply: (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple;
From the iMac User Guide:
Your iMac doesn’t have any user-serviceable parts, except the memory.
From the AppleCare Protection Plan Terms & Conditions:

4. What is not Covered?

The Plan does not apply to:
(iii) Covered Equipment with a serial number that has been altered, defaced or removed, or has been modified to alter its functionality or capability without the written permission of the manufacturer;
I've got a question regarding Apple care. If you purchase it what happens after the 3 years, is there anyway to cover your product further or are you at the mercy of any problems that may occur?

If I'm buying a good iMac I'm buying it to last and intend on keeping it far longer than 3 years
You cannot extend AppleCare beyond 3 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.