Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stretch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
Irvine, CA
Hi guys,

Sorry if this sounds dumb. I'm having the hardest time backing up my Word documents to CD-RW. An hour ago I backed up a few documents to a brand new CD-RW, using Mac OS X's built in burn feature. Now, everytime I try to drag and drop a new file onto the disk I get a message telling me that "the item cannot be moved because Macintosh Backup (the name of my CD-RW) cannot be modified"

This is a CD-RW, so it's completely rewritable. I have a feeling i'm missing something basic here, just not sure what it is. Thanks for your assistance.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Stretch said:
Hi guys,

Sorry if this sounds dumb. I'm having the hardest time backing up my Word documents to CD-RW. An hour ago I backed up a few documents to a brand new CD-RW, using Mac OS X's built in burn feature. Now, everytime I try to drag and drop a new file onto the disk I get a message telling me that "the item cannot be moved because Macintosh Backup (the name of my CD-RW) cannot be modified"

This is a CD-RW, so it's completely rewritable. I have a feeling i'm missing something basic here, just not sure what it is. Thanks for your assistance.
Finder doesn't support multi-session burning in the Finder, still, after all this time, and it definitely doesn't support packet-burning. If you want to re-burn the CD, you'll have to use Disk Utility to erase it, and then burn all the files onto it anew.

Stretch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
Irvine, CA
Thanks for the helpful info Cless.

Using the Disc Utility though, I can't get the "erase" button to activate.

I highlighted my CD-RW in the Utility, but both 'options' and 'erase' are greyed out.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Stretch said:
I highlighted my CD-RW in the Utility, but both 'options' and 'erase' are greyed out.
Then I don't know what to tell you. I just put in a CD-RW, burned some files on it, ejected it, put it back in, and when I fired up Disk Utility and selected the disc I could erase it just fine.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I think the original CD you burnt in Finder is now closed however if you use Disk Utility to burn the CD, it won't close and you'll be able to rewrite to it.

Try a new CD with Disk Utility, not with Finder. :)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Not an issue. I burned my test CD with Finder. If it's recognized by a CD-RW by Finder and Disk Utility, it should be able to erase it no matter what, closed or otherwise.

Stretch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2005
Irvine, CA
Hi Guys,

Thanks again for your assistance with this issue. I must say i'm rather dumbfounded. If I may, i'd like to relate my experience trying to resolve this issue. My first step after posting was to search the web. I found this web page on multisession burning:

http://macs.about.com/cs/osxbasics/a/burn_sessions.htm

Aha! I thought, problem solved. I'll just follow the steps. I followed them, and created an dmg. file after moving all my word documents to a folder on my desktop. Ok, great. The disc burned and I choose the append later option for further burning.

Adding a second group of files, some of which were expanded copies of the original documents, proved to be very confusing. I had to create another .dmg image in disc utility. Another desktop folder was required for that. It didn't seem to want to let me use the original folder - i.e. I couldn't simply move new word documents into the folder I originally used for my first .dmg.

I went ahead and created a seperate folder, and the burn was successful. Putting the CD-Rw into Windows however, the entire CD looked to be blank. Putting the CD-RW back into my Powerbook, and my usual CD-ROM icon didn't appear. Essentially, it seemed like nothing was on CD. :confused:

I've always admired Mac hardware, but as a new user I must confess that I found this process obtuse and unintuitive. Not what I expected, after reading all the 'ease of use' endoresements for this computing platform.

By way of comparison - strictly so, I still am a big fan of Mac and I'm not trying to light any fires here - what I wanted to accomplish - rapidly and easily burn varying documents (as well as expanded and modified copies of original documents already on CD-RW) onto a single CD-RW with essentially a click and drag - took only 5 minutes using the Nero software I installed on a home built Asus Pundit-R. Going back and forth on the Mac took about 45 minutes.

A very perplexing issue for a new-comer such as myself. As a writer i'm creating many new documents every day on my Powerbook, and need to backup frequently and often. I may need to go into the Mac store in person to straighten this out. Is there any third party software out there that can simplify this process for new users like me? Thanks again.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
My only suggestion would be change your backup medium to something like an external Hard drive or USB Memory Key. CDs were never really intended to be used like a floppy or traditional read-write medium. You can also get a copy of Toast, if you must stick with CD-RW

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Stretch said:
Thank you for that suggestion. Could you recommend a particular brand of USB memory key?

I use an off brand no-name usb disc, so I would venture to guess most will work just fine with your mac such as Lexar, Sandisk, Fuji etc... Also, alternatives that come to mind include .Mac iDisk and Yahoo! Briefcase.

Edit: in fact, online services such as .Mac may be the best option for you as a writer. That way you have a reliable (and gauranteed?) offsite backup of your pieces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.