Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

galaxy_tab_10_1_revised-500x359.jpg
As instructed by a UK court, Apple has posted a small link in the footer of Apple.com/uk. The notice acknowledges the judgement that Samsung had not infringed on the iPad design with their Galaxy Tab. The text of the notice starts:
On 9th July 2012 the High Court of Justice of England and Wales ruled that Samsung Electronic (UK) Limited's Galaxy Tablet Computer, namely the Galaxy Tab 10.1, Tab 8.9 and Tab 7.7 do not infringe Apple's registered design No. 0000181607-0001
But Apple's notice is somewhat playful and goes on to quote directly from the judgement where the Judge describes that Apple's design is "cool" and ultimately the Samsung design is simply not as cool. The Judge wrote:
"The informed user's overall impression of each of the Samsung Galaxy Tablets is the following. From the front they belong to the family which includes the Apple design; but the Samsung products are very thin, almost insubstantial members of that family with unusual details on the back. They do not have the same understated and extreme simplicity which is possessed by the Apple design. They are not as cool."
Apple goes on to explain that the case was also tried in Germany and that in that court Samsung was found guilty. In the end, they write "So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad."

The link must remain on Apple UK website for a period of one month, and Apple is also required to run ads acknowledging the ruling.

Article Link: Apple Posts Notice to UK Site Acknowledging that Samsung Galaxy Tab Did Not Infringe on iPad Design Because "They are not as cool"

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Apple used this opportunity to market more iPads. Even though Samsung legally won, Apple has had the last laugh, most definitely.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Honestly Apple sounds like a little kid saying "oh yeah, well my dad is cooler than your dad so there" Really, all they needed to do was put the footnote there, no one will read it, no one will care.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
apple is not harmed by this, also, they 're getting a billion bucks from shamesung. that's 9 zeros.
moreover, the judge did not clarify that apple was prohibited of publishing the rulings of other courts.

edit
in the statement, there isn't even a logo of apple, a menu or something... you're stuck on that page and your only way out is your browser's navigation.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Well that's for the judge to decide. Apple have to be careful not to push the boundaries of this "apology" could still get ugly for apple

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Apple goes on to explain that the case was also tried in Germany and that in that court Samsung was found guilty. In the end, they write "So while the U.K. court did not find Samsung guilty of infringement, other courts have recognized that in the course of creating its Galaxy tablet, Samsung willfully copied Apple's far more popular iPad."

And this part is false, the German trial has not taken place and the injunction is a preliminary injunction.

Galaxy Tab 10.1 has not been found infringing any design patent anywhere in the world

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
$100 wiped off the share price in 1 week.

Who is laughing Apple?

Not your shareholers

I just ordered 40k worth. Even if it drops like crazy, I will get back a lot by next earnings announcement :D
So yea, I'm a shareholder and I AM laughing ;)

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Apple used this opportunity to market more iPads. Even though Samsung legally won, Apple has had the last laugh, most definitely.

Yes, so far anyway. Wow, can't believe they're getting away with this. Wonder what judge BIRSS is thinking about all this. They haven't really done anything wrong, just stated the facts as they came in the judgement itself. Somehow I don't think this is what the judge had in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.