Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Hutchball
macrumors newbie

High Cellular data usage under ios 6

Hi. It seems now that since upgrading to ios 6 on my iphone 4, my data usage is erratic!

Yesterday 256mb were used for no particular reason. I have wi fi at home but to honest, on this day I was out a lot.

Is there anyway to find out what and when it's getting used?

I deleted the apple podcasts app a few days ago but that didn't seem to help.

My data usage varies between a couple of mb to this mega one!

Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers.
Hutchball is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Cockney Rebel

I will keep an eye on my values to see if my phone (4S) is doing the same thing.

Can you please tell me (these issues may be interlinked?) have you noticed that your usage values are also higher than what they should be?

I have noticed when checking the battery usage (at the bottom of settings/general/usage) that my 4S is indicating that I have used my phone, when in fact I have not?

Example ... late last night it was showing as 46 minutes of usage, then this morning it was showing as just over 3 hours, even though I had to used it at all?

The standby value appears to be as expected.

Could it simply be that iCloud is regularly checking for updated information etc, and this is why the phone is showing as being "used"? If this is the case, it could also tie in with your data usage query.

I'll keep an eye on my data usage from now on and if you could do the same with your usage time maybe we could find the issue between ourselves?

Good luck!
Cockney Rebel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:30 AM   #3
ccwestcliff
macrumors member

I had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago. I still don't know what it was but I suspect a dodgy app that downloaded a lot of data (most likely a travel app) and drained my iPhone 5 battery 25% in 2 hours!

You can try to set it up as new and for a trial period close apps manually to see if that makes a difference.

I deleted all apps that I had (for a specific place) after the trip and never had it happening again.
ccwestcliff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:52 AM   #4
Hutchball
macrumors newbie

Last month was the first month in two years I have got a warning saying I'm close to my data limit and this month looks on track to do the same.

I would be ok if not for that 250 mb one. I mean, how long would you have to use the phone to use all that!

Now I remember using apple maps for a half hour journey and also trying to send two picture iMessages that kept failing. Maybe the iMessage kept trying?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:32 AM   #5
BrandonJay21
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to BrandonJay21
AT&T shows me using almost a full gig in 2 days. I average 1.5 gig in a month, and haven't changed my habits. I haven't streamed anything, so i don't see how its possible. I'm not too happy about it since it's the beginning of my billing, so now I have half my data plan used up with 26 days to go.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:26 PM   #6
jdugan4859
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJay21 View Post
AT&T shows me using almost a full gig in 2 days. I average 1.5 gig in a month, and haven't changed my habits. I haven't streamed anything, so i don't see how its possible. I'm not too happy about it since it's the beginning of my billing, so now I have half my data plan used up with 26 days to go.
Glad it's not just me, my cycle starts on the 15th and I have already used 3.2 gig. The only thing out of the norm that I have done is stream the keynote, but I doubt it used that much. I very rarely go over 3 gig in an entire month.
jdugan4859 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Hutchball
macrumors newbie

3 gig is a pretty awesome amount to get per month. Here in the UK the carriers seem to have settled on 1 Gig on the contracts.

I hope this is fixed with an update. I mean, it hasn't cost me any money, but I'm sure some people must have been charged for going over.

It's a shame you can't delve deep into th OS to pinpoint whats using it.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Archer1440
macrumors 6502

I'm over 5 gig for one reason only- iTunes Match. Good thing I have unlimited LTE.
Archer1440 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:10 PM   #9
ronnyuk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchball View Post
3 gig is a pretty awesome amount to get per month. Here in the UK the carriers seem to have settled on 1 Gig on the contracts.

I hope this is fixed with an update. I mean, it hasn't cost me any money, but I'm sure some people must have been charged for going over.

It's a shame you can't delve deep into th OS to pinpoint whats using it.
Virgin Media have given me this plan 28 quid a month

•Unlimited calls to Virgin Mobile numbers & landlines•2500 minutes to other networks•500 minutes to 0800, 0845, 0870 & 0808 numbers•Unlimited texts•Unlimited data•Phone insurance included with 24-hour replacement
ronnyuk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:32 AM   #10
Hutchball
macrumors newbie

Great deal but what about coverage? I've never been on virgin mobile.

Also, sim only I'm guessing - not iPhone?

Can you tether with virgin? Most don't allow it.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:27 AM   #11
LaynieGorilla
macrumors 6502

Anyone know why this could be happening? I am slightly over four gigs with a week and a half to go on the phone with a 3gb plan. I trying to see if theres a away slow it down so that I don't go over 5gbs .. as I need my internet connection and I'm not near wifi.
LaynieGorilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:20 PM   #12
sundog925
macrumors 6502a

I've used 9GB and im at the end of my billing cycle.

I'd die if I only had meet MB's as my limit. I dunno how you guys restrict yourselves like that.
sundog925 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:21 PM   #13
Coastercraze
macrumors newbie

My dad's iPhone 4 has a similar symptom. It claims to have used 8 GB of data on Sprint's network, yet we have WiFi at home and he doesn't use his phone for anything.

My iPhone 5 doesn't however.
Coastercraze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:13 AM   #14
Hutchball
macrumors newbie

I keep all my apps closed on my app tray now.

Does anybody know how to pin point a specific app? Even if its jail broken? Is there a way to see what's using what?

My usuage has been low for days now, but now I'm paranoid of going over!!!

I bet the next ios update will fix it and nothing will be said of it.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:43 PM   #15
Hutchball
macrumors newbie

Ask and you shal receive...!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/onavo-count-data-usage-manager/id543547474?mt=8
Hutchball is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:54 PM   #16
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMNT925 View Post
I've used 9GB and im at the end of my billing cycle.

I'd die if I only had meet MB's as my limit. I dunno how you guys restrict yourselves like that.
It's called getting slapped $10 per gb. That's a negative punishment that stings a bit.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchball View Post
Ask and you shal receive...!

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/onavo-count-data-usage-manager/id543547474?mt=8
Beat me to it! How on earth does onavo function. It's send them 3.99 for a thank you.
1rottenapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 02:34 AM   #17
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Close the Apps in your App tray. All mail pushes on manual, use WiFi at home. Stop doing Speedtest.net tests..and lastly do a hard reset before you charge your iphone

These are just some of the basics that will eliminate phantom data usage.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 05:57 AM   #18
davehutch
macrumors 6502a

Has anyone with this problem used the app "Onavo Count" (free)to see where the data is being used?
Could be useful. My boss has used a lot in the last couple of days so I've installed it to keep track.

(Sorry, I really should have read two posts above!!)

Last edited by davehutch; Nov 1, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
davehutch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 06:29 AM   #19
bmcgrath
macrumors 65816

I have a 2 gig allowance on o2 UK. For the past 2 months I've had my 3G throttled because I've gone through so much.

I will say I've been relying on my iPhone a lot recently as I only had internet installed in my apartment this week but there is a lot of data being chewed in the background. Either this is an app or something iOS is doing.
bmcgrath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2012, 09:43 AM   #20
Hutchball
macrumors newbie

Regarding the Onavo app (I know I recommended it) it routes your data through their server. I'm not sure I'm too happy with that. I've uninstalled the app and the profile it made me install.

Don't panic tho.... I'm not sure if its dodgy or not
Old Nov 1, 2012, 12:54 PM   #21
Macdude2010
macrumors 6502a

My October billing cycle says I have used 7GB this month WITH one more week to go. I normally use around 1.5GB per month, something weird is going on here
Old Nov 1, 2012, 01:27 PM   #22
kip435
macrumors newbie

VZ says i've used 2.5gb in 8 days. no way. i checked my usage reports and its showing data charges when my phone is under wifi. huge 400+mb data flows. something is very very wrong.
kip435 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:32 AM   #23
Hutchball
macrumors newbie

Have to see what happens under 6.0.1
Old Nov 2, 2012, 09:49 AM   #24
LaynieGorilla
macrumors 6502

Same thing is happening to me on my ip5. I called AT&T and the guy told me be would credit my overages but to check on it and take it to the apple store and see what the problem is. He's going to call back later this month to see if I found a solution. So far I restored from new but it's still using data pretty rapidly.
LaynieGorilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:17 AM   #25
Hutchball
macrumors newbie

Have to see what happens under 6.0.1

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone