Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:34 AM   #1
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
iPad mini to kill the iPhone/smartphone?

Yes, I know it's not a phone, but instead of carrying an iPhone or other smartphone, maybe a really slim dumb phone with a battery that lasts a week?

Then you can just talk on the phone, (remember the days?) and then email/browsing/etc can be done on the mini LTE... Just a thought...
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:42 AM   #2
HowardSmith
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I think Apple will do everything it can to discourage the mini from replacing the iPhone. It would be a HUGE compromise!
HowardSmith is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:47 AM   #3
fsumom
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I don't know but I'm still old school and have just a regular phone and don't even text on it as I have texting blocked. I ordered a wi-fi only mini.
fsumom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:52 AM   #4
ZBoater
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumom View Post
I don't know but I'm still old school and have just a regular phone and don't even text on it as I have texting blocked. I ordered a wi-fi only mini.
That's just crazy talk!

I need access to the Internet with me at all times. I'm spoiled that way. I need Google, and email, and web browsing. Since I carry my phone with me all the time, I find myself trying to do things on the phone I really need the iPad (or a laptop) for. Having it with me always is key. I don't have the iPad with me always.

Not sure if he mini is small enough to change that paradigm. We'll see. But being able to look for something on the web on the spot is something I no longer can live without....
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:04 AM   #5
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3
 
Chupa Chupa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
The beauty of the smart phone is that you don't need to schlep around multiple devices everywhere you go. IMHO you'd look like a dork going into the store, price checking with any iPad. I can think of many other examples. I have no prob. w/ the iPhone's size and it fits in pants pockets perfectly.
__________________
Walled Garden ≠ Prison:
"People who use Apple products considered their options, and chose Apple. If they regret their decision, they can dump it at any time." -- Harry McCracken, Technologizer.com
Chupa Chupa is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:13 AM   #6
SR45
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumom View Post
I don't know but I'm still old school and have just a regular phone and don't even text on it as I have texting blocked. I ordered a wi-fi only mini.
No texting for me either. No silly Facebook, Music/Movies. Just a little e-mail. Do everything else on a nice size computer. WiFi iPad 3rd Generation returned, and may get the iPad 4th Generation. Will not touch the Mini iPad until later next year when, and if the retina display/A5X or better is introduced and 1 GB of storage.

Mini will never, ever replace the iPhone for calls. Just to darn big and those that want it would be such a small minority it will not sell well at all. My opinion, who would want a large mini stuck to ones ear making calls.
SR45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:23 AM   #7
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
iPad mini to kill the iPhone/smartphone?
Doubtful. They fill different niches. The "kill" meme is waaay overused.
takeshi74 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:25 AM   #8
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: iLondon/iDurban
I assume this is on the premise that you don't have a normal job/life where you need to be reachable by phone...? And no a skype number doesnt count
__________________
Mac Mini i7 2012 - 13" MBP 2012 - iPhone 5 - iPod Shuffle - iPad Air - iPod Classic - ATV 2
LaunchpadBS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:26 AM   #9
aka777
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
Yes, I know it's not a phone, but instead of carrying an iPhone or other smartphone, maybe a really slim dumb phone with a battery that lasts a week?

Then you can just talk on the phone, (remember the days?) and then email/browsing/etc can be done on the mini LTE... Just a thought...
That's exactly what I am doing and what I already do. I will be using the mini with the decent screen for browsing and any smartphone related activities, and use a normal phone for regular clear calls.

At present, I have a LG handset that gives me 30 days standby and the call quality is great. I seriously cannot remember the last time I charged it. In addition, I have been using my iPhone 4s with a ipad (tablet) data plan.
aka777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:33 AM   #10
ZBoater
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaunchpadBS View Post
I assume this is on the premise that you don't have a normal job/life where you need to be reachable by phone...? And no a skype number doesnt count
This is a different thread. I'm saying have a phone to just talk.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:39 AM   #11
rMacBookPro
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
iPad mini to kill the iPhone/smartphone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
This is a different thread. I'm saying have a phone to just talk.
It can't kill the phone because the phone is used for calling.
rMacBookPro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:44 AM   #12
aka777
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
This is a different thread. I'm saying have a phone to just talk.
It's also convenient. I can operate a flip phone without looking at it.

Granted, what would have been nice is if they enabled the cellular part of the mini and were allowed to use it via bluetooth. However, stuff like that is not what apple does. That's more an android thing.
aka777 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:46 AM   #13
Gymgenius
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka777 View Post
That's exactly what I am doing and what I already do. I will be using the mini with the decent screen for browsing and any smartphone related activities, and use a normal phone for regular clear calls.

At present, I have a LG handset that gives me 30 days standby and the call quality is great. I seriously cannot remember the last time I charged it. In addition, I have been using my iPhone 4s with a ipad (tablet) data plan.
Same here!
I've just sold my iPhone 4S, quit The Facebook completely and bought a BlackBerry for receiving and sending a (very) few emails, texts and BBMs.
Battery last for ages.

I've ordered the wifi iPad mini to 'sofa surf'. It won't be leaving the house much, apart from weekends away at hotels that have wifi.
Gymgenius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:49 AM   #14
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: iLondon/iDurban
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
This is a different thread. I'm saying have a phone to just talk.
And we come right back to "Why carry two when you can carry one?" argument.
Ah diversity
__________________
Mac Mini i7 2012 - 13" MBP 2012 - iPhone 5 - iPod Shuffle - iPad Air - iPod Classic - ATV 2
LaunchpadBS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:55 AM   #15
B.A.T
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Idaho
While dumb phones may be great for talking they don't sync up to my hands free set up in my truck. Any phone that can't do that for me is a deal killer.
B.A.T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:59 AM   #16
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a
 
Buckeyestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by aka777 View Post
It's also convenient. I can operate a flip phone without looking at it.
Stop texting while driving.
Buckeyestar is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:08 AM   #17
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a
 
RedRaven571's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
BTW, I think its humorous that the add at the bottom of my page right now is for a Kindle Fire HD.....
__________________
“Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that's how it always starts. Then later there's running and screaming.”
- Dr. Ian Malcolm
RedRaven571 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:17 AM   #18
AJAAY
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
This is why I never really got an iPad. If I were to get an iPad Mini, my iPhone 5 will collect dust in the corner while I am at home. And the mini is pretty much small enough to haul around everywhere conveniently. My iPhone will then be tucked away in my pocket and never get any use (except for phone calls and texts). Face it, the iPad is just a big iPhone, and with the mini, that gap is closed even more!

If I had a "dumbphone" or blackberry, I would snatch up an Mini in a heartbeat. But with an iPhone 5, I don't see any use for the Mini (this is just my personal view/observation/experience).
AJAAY is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:13 PM   #19
fsumom
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
That's just crazy talk!

I need access to the Internet with me at all times. I'm spoiled that way. I need Google, and email, and web browsing. Since I carry my phone with me all the time, I find myself trying to do things on the phone I really need the iPad (or a laptop) for. Having it with me always is key. I don't have the iPad with me always.

Not sure if he mini is small enough to change that paradigm. We'll see. But being able to look for something on the web on the spot is something I no longer can live without....
What's crazy is that I ordered it for my 6 year old .
fsumom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:17 PM   #20
ZBoater
Thread Starter
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumom View Post
What's crazy is that I ordered it for my 6 year old .
That IS crazy.

But that's kids these days. They are getting started with tech younger and younger....
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:41 PM   #21
bogatyr
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsumom View Post
I don't know but I'm still old school and have just a regular phone and don't even text on it as I have texting blocked. I ordered a wi-fi only mini.
If my job didn't require 24/7 availability I would do aware with all of that - plus the phone line too. Phones are devices designed to tether you to others and torture you with the noises they make.
bogatyr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:45 PM   #22
tasset
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2007
Probably just wishful thinking on my part, but I HOPE it's going in that direction. Maybe the iPad mini doesn't replace the phone in 2012/2013, but an iPad Nano becomes that in 2014 or 2015. Why? Who is the biggest barrier remaining in Apple's direct relationship with its customers? And when you think of your cell phone, who do you loathe to deal with in the process? The carriers, that's who.
Apple tried to break part of the model in 2007 with iPhone being unsubsidized. But people largely didn't like the price, even when a few months later they dropped the price to $399.
After the iPhone became subsidized in 2008 it took off like a rocket, because people love that carrier crack, and will overpay for service during a two year contract. But the iPad is completely unsubsidized at a great price. That is why Android has such success in phones, because the OEMs hide the true phone cost with the carriers in the form of subsidies, and exactly why they can't compete with Apple in the tablet space. (Yes the Kindle Fire and Nexus7 are now, but that is either at a loss or break even to get people locked into their ecosystems).
Beating the carriers is like cooking a frog. You start it on simmer and slowly ratchet up the heat, and it doesn't realize it. First the App Store. Then iMessage. Then FaceTime. Hopefully in iOS 7 or 8 we will see FaceTime without video (ala phone calls). Why not? They already have a few hundred million devices for calling between themselves.
So, I would like to think Apple will do the 4" form factor for probably another couple of years (change doesn't happen overnight), and we'll see a 5" or 6" in at that time that is the iPad's screen dimensions and runs iPad apps. Just as the iPad started at $499, now the mini at $329, maybe an iNano will start at $249. And all you have to buy is a data plan WITHOUT CONTRACT. The carriers will assume their roles as dumb pipes.
tasset is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:09 PM   #23
publicfarley
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Most here don't seem to understand the OP

It seems like some of you don't understand the point of the original poster. I, for one, agree with what he is saying.

The iPad mini now has basically everything the iPhone has including portability. It also has somethings the iPhone doesn't have: a big ass screen and the ability to run real iPad tablet apps. All it is missing is the ability to make phone calls.

So if one has the LTE version of the go-anywhere iPad Mini, then all you really need in addition is a cheap dumb phone for phone calls.

I'm looking forward to, no-hassle from carriers, yearly updates to my iPad mini. Given this, I don't think I'll be upgrading my iPhone 4S for many, many years.
publicfarley is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:36 PM   #24
aka777
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post
Stop texting while driving.
I meant to answer calls and hangup. Don't need to take my eyes off anything when using a flip phone.

Never been one (i.e. an irresponsible idiot) to text while driving.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by publicfarley View Post
It seems like some of you don't understand the point of the original poster. I, for one, agree with what he is saying.

The iPad mini now has basically everything the iPhone has including portability. It also has somethings the iPhone doesn't have: a big ass screen and the ability to run real iPad tablet apps. All it is missing is the ability to make phone calls.

So if one has the LTE version of the go-anywhere iPad Mini, then all you really need in addition is a cheap dumb phone for phone calls.

I'm looking forward to, no-hassle from carriers, yearly updates to my iPad mini. Given this, I don't think I'll be upgrading my iPhone 4S for many, many years.
Spot on. Nowadays, there are excellent voice and text only prepaid plans out there and they save a fortune.

It's the best of both worlds. To this day, not a single smartphone matches the call quality and battery life of a a good flip phone.

Now we have the iPad mini LTE, which brings the best of a high-speed cellular connection and a usable, light, and extremely portable tablet.
aka777 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:38 PM   #25
SunnyStudioNeo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I don't think so. Mini is still in the category of tablet. But it definitely has more market share than the bigger iPad
SunnyStudioNeo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Will Apple kill 1st gen iPad Mini? Tiger8 iPad 15 Sep 13, 2013 07:32 PM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini with 4G LTE as an iPhone/smartphone substitute WhiteDragon1 iPad 2 Nov 6, 2012 06:13 PM
So do you need a smartphone if you have iPad mini? PDFierro iPad 5 Oct 24, 2012 04:19 AM
Does New Touch Kill iPad Mini? Jefferyd32 iPad 77 Sep 20, 2012 01:38 PM
iPad: Will iPad Mini instantly kill the Nexus 7? smoledman Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 10 Aug 17, 2012 05:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC