Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1
TheBama
macrumors 6502

MS Surface Hands on

I like the packaging. Heavy box. All the seals have pull tabs for damage free opening and removal of the product. Tablet itself is completely covered in plastic.

The keyboard magnets are strong, and "snapped" the cover into place without me having to fiddle to get the contacts right. The keyboard is wonderful. Much easier to use than a virtual keyboard. Set-up is identical to Windows 8.

After set-up my Start page had all my settings from my 8 install, including my Facebook updates and desktop settings.

Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:49 AM   #2
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Just got mine 10 min ago. Still unopened
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	372406  
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:50 AM   #3
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Nice! That keyboard cover seems very cool! I don't have need for another tablet but glad to see some more competition in the marketplace. Let us know what you think after a week or so of use.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:43 AM   #4
DingleButt
macrumors regular

Awesome! Post up more about it after you use it more since you have Win8 too.
DingleButt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Sensamic
macrumors 68000

I'm sooooooo jealous!

I was thinking of buying one, but some reviews threw me back, mainly that's it's more heavy and bulky than the iPad (which was obvious from the beginning, I know), the awkward screen aspect ratio when in portrait and some early software bugs.

I think it's more of a pc than a tablet. Maybe I'll look at Asus if they are thinner and lighter.

Tell us everything you can about your new machines! I want to know everything
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:35 PM   #6
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBama View Post
After set-up my Start page had all my settings from my 8 install, including my Facebook updates and desktop settings.
What do you do if you DON'T want to replicate your desktop settings on your tablet? Or you want some things synced, but not others? For instance, I might want my Facebook settings to be the same on my desktop and tablet, but want a different home screen layout for each.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:00 PM   #7
geek36
macrumors member

nice!

will probably wait for x86 version to replace my laptop.
geek36 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:11 PM   #8
DingleButt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
What do you do if you DON'T want to replicate your desktop settings on your tablet? Or you want some things synced, but not others? For instance, I might want my Facebook settings to be the same on my desktop and tablet, but want a different home screen layout for each.
In settings you choose what to sync
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingleButt View Post
In settings you choose what to sync
Good to know, thanks!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a

I would still prefer a tactile feel to the keyboard when I depress the keys. The review that I saw for this device indicate that the keyboard feels like a touch screen keyboard without the screen. I hate touch screen keyboards.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:36 PM   #11
beyondthepale35
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman06 View Post
I would still prefer a tactile feel to the keyboard when I depress the keys. The review that I saw for this device indicate that the keyboard feels like a touch screen keyboard without the screen. I hate touch screen keyboards.
I got to play around for a little bit in the store today, its definitely an improvement over a touch screen keyboard. The touch cover is quite responsive and I have no doubt after a week i could type close to my normal typing speed on it. And if you prefer tactile, the type cover is always an option.
beyondthepale35 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:43 PM   #12
pesos
macrumors 6502

Nice! Still waiting for mine to arrive. Will be doing a short more enterprise-oriented review focusing on ActiveSync, Office, RDP/Citrix, etc...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:03 PM   #13
PhoneI
macrumors 65816

Got mine today too. I like the device, but I dont love it. The screen resolution is a major problem. I will not be using the Win8 Kindle app a lot because the lower resolution really bothers my eyes. It also doesn't help that I HATE the Windows 8 font.

Other than that, Windows 8 seems to be pretty fun. I dont know if its because its new or what, but I like it.

One last thing, who was the genius at MS that came up with the idea to refuse to sell the 64GB version without the touch cover. I wanted to buy the Type cover and I couldn't.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamic View Post
I'm sooooooo jealous!

I was thinking of buying one, but some reviews threw me back, mainly that's it's more heavy and bulky than the iPad (which was obvious from the beginning, I know), the awkward screen aspect ratio when in portrait and some early software bugs.

I think it's more of a pc than a tablet. Maybe I'll look at Asus if they are thinner and lighter.

Tell us everything you can about your new machines! I want to know everything
While it might not be, it feels far heavier than the iPad3 in your hand. Portrait is also useless. I will say that the Asus Win8 RT tablet is extremely light.

Last edited by PhoneI; Oct 26, 2012 at 04:54 PM.
PhoneI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:08 PM   #14
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensamic View Post
I'm sooooooo jealous!

I was thinking of buying one, but some reviews threw me back, mainly that's it's more heavy and bulky than the iPad.
From what I've heard, it weighs just as much, and is about 1mm thinner than the iPad at its thickest point. The reason it looks fatter is because it doesn't have as extreme a taper towards the edge.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:17 PM   #15
Faux Carnival
macrumors 6502a

Looks really elegant. No doubt feels elegant too.
Faux Carnival is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:29 PM   #16
PhoneI
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
From what I've heard, it weighs just as much, and is about 1mm thinner than the iPad at its thickest point. The reason it looks fatter is because it doesn't have as extreme a taper towards the edge.
It is about the same weight, but it feels a lot heavier in hand. Probably has something to do with the weight distribution.
PhoneI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:46 PM   #17
mcman77
macrumors 6502a

very nice! Is that windows RT guys?

I'm really looking forward to UK pricing on a core i3.
mcman77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:48 PM   #18
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneI View Post
It is about the same weight, but it feels a lot heavier in hand. Probably has something to do with the weight distribution.
Yeah, I could see that. It's longer and thinner, which probably makes it feel a little more awkward than the iPad. Specially if you hold it with one hand.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:48 PM   #19
beyondthepale35
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcman77 View Post
very nice! Is that windows RT guys?

I'm really looking forward to UK pricing on a core i3.
Yep, Surface only comes with RT as of now. Pro is supposedly coming out in January with full Windows 8.
beyondthepale35 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:50 PM   #20
Vetvito
macrumors 6502

It's RT.

Surface Pro not due until next year.
Vetvito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:54 PM   #21
mcman77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondthepale35 View Post
Yep, Surface only comes with RT as of now. Pro is supposedly coming out in January with full Windows 8.
thanks, is there a list anywhere so I can find out what program (apps) can run on which OS version?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:57 PM   #22
beyondthepale35
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcman77 View Post
thanks, is there a list anywhere so I can find out what program (apps) can run on which OS version?
RT only runs pre-approved Windows apps through the Microsoft store. It has no capability to run legacy apps from previous Windows versions. Pro will be able to run any Windows program from previous generations in theory.
beyondthepale35 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:01 PM   #23
DingleButt
macrumors regular

Quote:
RT only runs pre-approved Windows apps through the Microsoft store. It has no capability to run legacy apps from previous Windows versions. Pro will be able to run any Windows program from previous generations in theory.
Just to clarify it runs legacy apps that were built for ARM by Microsoft such as Notepad, Office RT, calc and such, but NOT 3rd party desktop apps.

Btw to the guy that was asking, heres the sync part of options
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (9).png
Views:	70
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	372504  
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:10 PM   #24
mcman77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Just to clarify it runs legacy apps that were built for ARM by Microsoft such as Notepad, Office RT, calc and such, but NOT 3rd party desktop apps.

Quote:

Thanks guys
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:08 PM   #25
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneI View Post
One last thing, who was the genius at MS that came up with the idea to refuse to sell the 64GB version without the touch cover. I wanted to buy the Type cover and I couldn't.
That was my thought too. I suppose you could buy the Type Cover in addition to the 64Gb+touch cover bundle, but then you'd be left with a cover you aren't using.

Fortunately, there's a Microsoft popup store near me, so I'll be dropping by to try the covers before buying one. If I buy a Surface at all, that is. It's an intriguing idea, but I'm far from convinced that it's actually usable.

Quote:
Thank you, good to see it's very customizable.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices