Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBama

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Birmingham, AL
I like the packaging. Heavy box. All the seals have pull tabs for damage free opening and removal of the product. Tablet itself is completely covered in plastic.

The keyboard magnets are strong, and "snapped" the cover into place without me having to fiddle to get the contacts right. The keyboard is wonderful. Much easier to use than a virtual keyboard. Set-up is identical to Windows 8.

After set-up my Start page had all my settings from my 8 install, including my Facebook updates and desktop settings.

67d1351261068-surface-rt-unboxing-thoughts-pics-dscn0440.jpg

65d1351260814-surface-rt-unboxing-thoughts-pics-dscn0436.jpg

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Nice! That keyboard cover seems very cool! I don't have need for another tablet but glad to see some more competition in the marketplace. Let us know what you think after a week or so of use.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
I'm sooooooo jealous! :D:D:D

I was thinking of buying one, but some reviews threw me back, mainly that's it's more heavy and bulky than the iPad (which was obvious from the beginning, I know), the awkward screen aspect ratio when in portrait and some early software bugs.

I think it's more of a pc than a tablet. Maybe I'll look at Asus if they are thinner and lighter.

Tell us everything you can about your new machines! I want to know everything :D:D

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
After set-up my Start page had all my settings from my 8 install, including my Facebook updates and desktop settings.

What do you do if you DON'T want to replicate your desktop settings on your tablet? Or you want some things synced, but not others? For instance, I might want my Facebook settings to be the same on my desktop and tablet, but want a different home screen layout for each.

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
What do you do if you DON'T want to replicate your desktop settings on your tablet? Or you want some things synced, but not others? For instance, I might want my Facebook settings to be the same on my desktop and tablet, but want a different home screen layout for each.

In settings you choose what to sync

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I would still prefer a tactile feel to the keyboard when I depress the keys. The review that I saw for this device indicate that the keyboard feels like a touch screen keyboard without the screen. I hate touch screen keyboards.

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
I would still prefer a tactile feel to the keyboard when I depress the keys. The review that I saw for this device indicate that the keyboard feels like a touch screen keyboard without the screen. I hate touch screen keyboards.

I got to play around for a little bit in the store today, its definitely an improvement over a touch screen keyboard. The touch cover is quite responsive and I have no doubt after a week i could type close to my normal typing speed on it. And if you prefer tactile, the type cover is always an option.

pesos

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
Nice! Still waiting for mine to arrive. Will be doing a short more enterprise-oriented review focusing on ActiveSync, Office, RDP/Citrix, etc...

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
Got mine today too. I like the device, but I dont love it. The screen resolution is a major problem. I will not be using the Win8 Kindle app a lot because the lower resolution really bothers my eyes. It also doesn't help that I HATE the Windows 8 font.

Other than that, Windows 8 seems to be pretty fun. I dont know if its because its new or what, but I like it.

One last thing, who was the genius at MS that came up with the idea to refuse to sell the 64GB version without the touch cover. I wanted to buy the Type cover and I couldn't.

----------

I'm sooooooo jealous! :D:D:D

I was thinking of buying one, but some reviews threw me back, mainly that's it's more heavy and bulky than the iPad (which was obvious from the beginning, I know), the awkward screen aspect ratio when in portrait and some early software bugs.

I think it's more of a pc than a tablet. Maybe I'll look at Asus if they are thinner and lighter.

Tell us everything you can about your new machines! I want to know everything :D:D

While it might not be, it feels far heavier than the iPad3 in your hand. Portrait is also useless. I will say that the Asus Win8 RT tablet is extremely light.

Last edited:

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
From what I've heard, it weighs just as much, and is about 1mm thinner than the iPad at its thickest point. The reason it looks fatter is because it doesn't have as extreme a taper towards the edge.

It is about the same weight, but it feels a lot heavier in hand. Probably has something to do with the weight distribution.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
very nice! Is that windows RT guys?

I'm really looking forward to UK pricing on a core i3.

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
thanks, is there a list anywhere so I can find out what program (apps) can run on which OS version?

RT only runs pre-approved Windows apps through the Microsoft store. It has no capability to run legacy apps from previous Windows versions. Pro will be able to run any Windows program from previous generations in theory.

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
RT only runs pre-approved Windows apps through the Microsoft store. It has no capability to run legacy apps from previous Windows versions. Pro will be able to run any Windows program from previous generations in theory.

Just to clarify it runs legacy apps that were built for ARM by Microsoft such as Notepad, Office RT, calc and such, but NOT 3rd party desktop apps.

Btw to the guy that was asking, heres the sync part of options

Attachments

• Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    69.2 KB · Views: 156

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Just to clarify it runs legacy apps that were built for ARM by Microsoft such as Notepad, Office RT, calc and such, but NOT 3rd party desktop apps.

Thanks guys :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
One last thing, who was the genius at MS that came up with the idea to refuse to sell the 64GB version without the touch cover. I wanted to buy the Type cover and I couldn't.

That was my thought too. I suppose you could buy the Type Cover in addition to the 64Gb+touch cover bundle, but then you'd be left with a cover you aren't using.

Fortunately, there's a Microsoft popup store near me, so I'll be dropping by to try the covers before buying one. If I buy a Surface at all, that is. It's an intriguing idea, but I'm far from convinced that it's actually usable.

Thank you, good to see it's very customizable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.