Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tron2

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Hey everyone,

I am debating on whether to get the New Mac Mini 2012 or not. I know from reading the forums the MacBook Pro Retina 15inch, can drive quite a number of monitors.

Can the current new mini drive 3 monitors at 1920x1200. I have two monitors which have DVI/VGA/HDMI and one which has DVI/VGA/HDMI/Displayport.

Since Mac Mini has 1 Thunderbolt, and 1 HDMI - is there anyway I can split the Thunderbolt to 2 DVI's and then use 1 HDMI or is there HDMI splitters to DVI?

I have been searching monoprice for adapters etc, and I really have no idea if there is a splitter.

Or is this is best solution Matrox Dual Head 2 Go - Connect 2 1920x1200 Monitors to it, and One monitor via HDMI for 1920x1200.

I am trying to find the cheapest best alternative option for this. As I have an eye for the base model Mac Mini only (I am not a gamer, even if I play it would be some simple card games like solitaire, poker or chess).

Thanks,

tron2

tron2

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Very Cool

Thanks for the suggestions. I just wish the new Mac Mini had 2-3 Thunderbolt ports. Oh well

michael_aos

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Thanks for the tip on the USB 3.0 to HDMI/DVI Display Adapter.

I replaced my 2006 Mac Pro 1,1 with a Late 2012 Mac Mini and was disappointed to find that the Intel HD Graphics 4000 768 MB graphics can only drive 2 displays (in any combination).

gabicava83

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

I've used this very cable from my thunderbolt port of my 2011 Macbook Pro to dual HDMI monitors. This would be the cheapest way to get 3 HDMI monitors going on the 2012 mac Minis. Too bad this one doesn't work on HD3000 computers, but oh well.

Discontinued? These appear to be out of stock everywhere, even direct from the manufacturer.

zer0tails

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Canada
hmm..Can't the Mac mini's Thunderbolt port daisy chain? So you could daisy chain three Thunderbold displays from that one port? Or am I mistaken?:confused:

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
hmm..Can't the Mac mini's Thunderbolt port daisy chain? So you could daisy chain three Thunderbold displays from that one port? Or am I mistaken?:confused:

Yes, but you can only do that with a TBD monitor. Many want to use cheaper alternatives. Further, I believe the HD4000 can only do two TBD and can't use the HDMI when 2 TBD monitors are being used (I could be wrong on that).

----------

Discontinued? These appear to be out of stock everywhere, even direct from the manufacturer.

Yeah, looking like so. Bummer. Mine worked really well.

colonelclick

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
The HDMI splitter is sold out but see below, as I quote myself.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3A71KRIQQZECL/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

YES. YES. YES!

I have a 2012 i7 Mac Mini with three displays, none of them mirrored.

You can read more in my review (link below). I am posting this because I spent a lot of time trying to get this work and the answer turned out to be quite simple.

http://www.amazon.com/J5-Create-JUA350-Display-Adapter/dp/B0079VXOWO/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

Last edited:

marker227

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2004
Hey all, I plan on buying the 2012 Mac Mini MD388LL/A.

I wanted to know if this could drive (non-Apple) 1 30" and 2 22" monitors. If so, what is the most reliable way to do so? I've read some reviews stating that the signal isn't always the greatest when using a splitter, etc.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hey all, I plan on buying the 2012 Mac Mini MD388LL/A.

I wanted to know if this could drive (non-Apple) 1 30" and 2 22" monitors. If so, what is the most reliable way to do so? I've read some reviews stating that the signal isn't always the greatest when using a splitter, etc.

You would need to use a USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA in order to drive the second 22" monitor. I'm also going to recommend you only try driving the 30" monitor with the Thunderbolt/MDP port IF your 30" display has MDP or DP port. Otherwise you have to use an MDP to Dual-DVI converter (about $60) and they seem to be pretty hit or miss whether they work or not.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Sure? DisplayPort 1.2 officially supports daisy chaining and there are already some monitors available that offer an explicit DisplayPort-out for daisy-chaining.

I seem to recall a posting claiming success on a Mac (using a Thunderbolt/MiniDisplayPort adapter to DVI on such a DisplayPort-out port). Can't find the forum entry anymore, though :-/

First off that comment was made back at the beginning of 2013 and a lot changes in 1.5 years. however, the 2012 mac mini only has Thunderbolt 1 which only does displayport 1.1 and thus can not do daisy chaining. You can only daisy chain using a Thunderbolt display.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
First off that comment was made back at the beginning of 2013 and a lot changes in 1.5 years.

Oops - sorry, I obviously fell for a zombie thread. Should've checked the date of your post I quoted :eek:

however, the 2012 mac mini only has Thunderbolt 1 which only does displayport 1.1 and thus can not do daisy chaining. You can only daisy chain using a Thunderbolt display.

Hmm, somehow I assumed that if Apple can daisy-chain their Thunderbolt displays with TB1 devices, they would not develop that feature completely proprietary, but rather take existing elements (like e.g. the MST feature of DP1.2) and use it in their Thunderbolt implementation in addition to the "normal" DP1.1(a) embedded there.

Apple was a major driving (and thus defining) force in Thunderbolt and the Mini Displayport connector. DP1.2 was approved in Dec-2009, i.e. way before Apple released the first Thunderbolt mini in Jul-2011, so they might have "borrowed" what they needed. After all they don't claim strict compliance to a certain DP standard for their Thunderbolt products, do they?

Unfortunately I don't have a monitor with DP-out, otherwise I'd be tempted to try it using a native Windows installation on the mini. :)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Oops - sorry, I obviously fell for a zombie thread. Should've checked the date of your post I quoted :eek:

Hmm, somehow I assumed that if Apple can daisy-chain their Thunderbolt displays with TB1 devices, they would not develop that feature completely proprietary, but rather take existing elements (like e.g. the MST feature of DP1.2) and use it in their Thunderbolt implementation in addition to the "normal" DP1.1(a) embedded there.

Apple was a major driving (and thus defining) force in Thunderbolt and the Mini Displayport connector. DP1.2 was approved in Dec-2009, i.e. way before Apple released the first Thunderbolt mini in Jul-2011, so they might have "borrowed" what they needed. After all they don't claim strict compliance to a certain DP standard for their Thunderbolt products, do they?

Unfortunately I don't have a monitor with DP-out, otherwise I'd be tempted to try it using a native Windows installation on the mini. :)

Technical limitation of Thunderbolt 1. Remember Thunderbolt 1 only had a max bandwidth of 10Gbit/s. Displayport 1.2 requires 17.28Gbit/s. It wasn't until Thunderbolt 2, with it's 20Gbit/s that there was enough bandwidth to carry Displayport 1.2.

It was a technical limitation. I'm sure Apple/Intel would have preferred to support DP1.2 from the get go if they could have.

marker227

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2004
You would need to use a USB to DVI/HDMI/VGA in order to drive the second 22" monitor. I'm also going to recommend you only try driving the 30" monitor with the Thunderbolt/MDP port IF your 30" display has MDP or DP port. Otherwise you have to use an MDP to Dual-DVI converter (about $60) and they seem to be pretty hit or miss whether they work or not.

Isn't the USB connection going to
be slower? I have an AOC 18" and it's only good for Skype or small programs.

The 22" monitor I would be getting has DVI and VGA. It's a Dell 21.9" I believe.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Isn't the USB connection going to
be slower? I have an AOC 18" and it's only good for Skype or small programs.

The 22" monitor I would be getting has DVI and VGA. It's a Dell 21.9" I believe.

Of course it is, but you can't connect 3 monitors any other way to a 2012. They only support 2 using the GPU.

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
It was a technical limitation. I'm sure Apple/Intel would have preferred to support DP1.2 from the get go if they could have.
If it is a purely technical limitation, how does Apple achieve daisy-chaining with 2 Thunderbolt displays on a Thunderbolt 1 connection?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
If it is a purely technical limitation, how does Apple achieve daisy-chaining with 2 Thunderbolt displays on a Thunderbolt 1 connection?

Because Thunderbolt 1 actually had two channels. Thus with the TBD display could pull the display off of one Thunderbolt Channel and then the second display pulled it off of the Second Thunderbolt Channel. Thunderbolt 2 combined the two channels into one. Thus Displayport now had the 20Gbit/s it needed to use DP1.2.

Seriously, just google all of this. Anandtech did a heck of a write up about the advantages and limitations of Thunderbolt when it was first released.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Is there a way to use a Thunderbolt splitter to drive 1 30" and 1 22"? That would free up the HDMI port.

Nope. And even if you used two Thunderbolt Displays, you couldn't drive a monitor with the HDMI port.....

support.apple.com/en-us/HT5219#18

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.