Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vampyr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
Is there something drastically different in the technology that makes a 13" Retina MBP more expensive than a faster, larger screen 15" Retina MBP??

It just seems backwards in pricing if something smaller and slower is more expensive than something larger and faster??

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Is there something drastically different in the technology that makes a 13" Retina MBP more expensive than a faster, larger screen 15" Retina MBP??

No.

It just seems backwards in pricing if something smaller and slower is more expensive than something larger and faster??

Exactly correct.

Seems a bit strange that you get less for the higher price, eh?

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
Wait 3-5 years when the retina displays are standard across all Apple products. Pricing will still bear the "Apple" premium, but I'm willing to bet it won't feel as bad then.

vpro

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2012
It is as though they are the same computer priced differently!

No.

Exactly correct.

Seems a bit strange that you get less for the higher price, eh?

It appears that APPLE has double cross-eyed vision when it comes to pricing, because they are exactly the same computers just one is prices ridonkulously higher than the other.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
It's interesting that AppleCare on the retina 13 is $100 cheaper than AppleCare on any of the 15 inch models (including the classic).

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
It's interesting that AppleCare on the retina 13 is $100 cheaper than AppleCare on any of the 15 inch models (including the classic).

It's been that way for the unibody MBPs, at least as far back as the 2009 models. There was a 2009 15" MBP without a discrete GPU. I think Applecare for that 15" MBP was the same price as for the 13" MBPs. The Applecare price was the same for 15" and 17" MBPs, so the difference seems to be based solely on the presence or absence of a discrete GPU. I guess, that based on risk analysis, the probability of an Applecare repair is greater with a discrete GPU on board.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
It's been that way for the unibody MBPs, at least as far back as the 2009 models. There was a 2009 15" MBP without a discrete GPU. I think Applecare for that 15" MBP was the same price as for the 13" MBPs. The Applecare price was the same for 15" and 17" MBPs, so the difference seems to be based solely on the presence or absence of a discrete GPU. I guess, that based on risk analysis, the probability of an Applecare repair is greater with a discrete GPU on board.

Strange... are the dGPU's that much of a liability?

The only issue my 2009 MBP had was with the integrated GPU (9400m) which apple finally addressed last year with a firmware upgrade.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

Why are you confused? The pricing is what it is. There is no reason to try and understand the logic behind it. This is happening because people continue to pay the price. The iPad mini is way over priced for what it is, however preorders sold out very quickly. This is why apple continues to charge a high price. If they saw a decrease in sales then apple would probably reconsider. The problem is that there are millions of people who are not computer savvy and don't know what they are buying. Apple is surely taking advantage of their ignorant customers.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
... cause one of the other 5493 threads talking about this wasn't good enough, you thought you should create a new one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.