Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Are people really that surprised that Apple updated the full size iPad this year? After all there is a reason they changed the name to "The New iPad". Apple is done with the yearly iPad cycle. Going forward will be minor design tweaks and mainly internal upgrades as they become available.

Also, the iPad is the fastest growing consumer product in history and is slowly replacing people full size PCs for many tasks. Its only appropriate that Apple start treating this product more like an everyday portable computer. It will be like the iMac and MacBooks receiving moderate design tweaks every couple years while internal components will be upgraded once or twice a year.

Apple has kept the iPhone 4, 5, etc. numbering scheme since its the biggest money maker and they want to do major innovations every year to the product as a portable pocket device and create the most buzz.

Just trying to provide some insight for people to stop flipping out.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
That's not insight. That's predicting the future AFTER it happens mixed with a bit of insecurity that makes you feel personally offended over the opinions of strangers.

The iPad 4 is a surprise. It's better to have the, release technology than to sit on it but let's not pretend this was predictable.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
That's not insight. That's predicting the future AFTER it happens mixed with a bit of insecurity that makes you feel personally offended over the opinions of strangers.

The iPad 4 is a surprise. It's better to have the, release technology than to sit on it but let's not pretend this was predictable.

Insecure is not an accurate way to describe anything I wrote. And I wasn't trying to predict anything, just give a possible explanation that makes sense for why the upgrade happened. Everyone was wondering why the 3rd gen was called"The New iPad" and NOT iPad 3. Obviously there is a reason behind it. I'm offering a possible reason. Whether you like it or not is up to you.

Poochi

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Toronto

Yes.. Indeed a surprise. Many would assumed it would be a mere connector upgrade, but they went all out with internal component.

This also begs the question whether or not the form factor will change significantly?

If it is still on the iPhone model (naming convention is no longer), it would get a form factor change every 2 iterations.

If it follows the Macbook model, it will be getting internal upgrades while the form factor will last longer so the next exterior update may not take place on the next refresh...

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Yes.. Indeed a surprise. Many would assumed it would be a mere connector upgrade, but they went all out with internal component.

This also begs the question whether or not the form factor will change significantly?
Im not sure if I'd consider a processor upgrade to be considered "going all out" because it fixes something that was never considered to be a problem. And IMO, there would probably be less complaints if it were an entirely upgraded and redesigned product because at least the decision to upgrade wouldnt be as difficult.

As for the form factor, with the iPad 2/3/4 sharing the same look and the iPhone, Mini and Touch all sporting a newer style then it would seem the iPad is due for a change in appearance that is beyond just aesthetics. The new bonded glass reduces reflection, the shell could go back to the iPad 2 thin-ness (or thinner) and if the Mini proves that they figured out how to reduce the bezel with software that detects accidental touch then i think everyone would appreciate a reduced bezel (plus it would keep the iPad from looking like the copycats). So a redesign feels inevitable but the big question is if we have to wait 5mo or a full year. And that makes it tough to make a confident purchase for some.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
You're gonna see the same people flip out when the ipad 5 comes out because they sold their ipad 3 for an ipad 4, but then the ipad 5 comes out in 2013. Human nature being vain. I want the best of the best and feel bad if something comes along that is better than what I paid for.

Get a grip, these are commodity toys - spend the money, don't think of it as any kind of investment, you don't need these devices period. Buy them because you want to play with a new toy, not because your life depended on it. And if your life depended on it, you wouldn't dare upgrade every time something new comes out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.