Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dallasdad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Dallas
:confused: I don't get it. I really, really don't. HELP ME PLEASE.

Why doesn't Apple make new iMac Touch (screen)??!?

Apple is the leader in touch screens. Crazy cool industry changing ipod, iphone, ipad TOUCH screens (I own them). I own an iMAC (2008 - YES I WANT TO UPGRADE). Why why WHY! why is apple not making all their products touch? I mean the iMac is suppose to be a creative tool/toy? --- and their competitors (HELLO - have you seen the new Windows 8 really COOL commercials have and ARE selling touch screens)....

What is Apple doing? Are they sleeping? Or are they so arragant that they think they don't have to do what others are doing? Why not do it better?

I have an older WACOM Cintiq. (You draw directly on the screen).

Why hasn't apple done this? Why can I not grab my 24" iMac off the stand and place it in my lap and draw (or play scrable) directly on the screen? Come on we are WAY PAST THE TECHNOLOGY window.

Even the Galaxy Note @ has Touch Sensity measures built into it's screen (meaning it can sense how hard the stylus is pressed against the screen and therefore make the line variant to that pressure). And the iMac cannot do that!?!

It pisses me off! I have been waiting for this for over 2 years. (They could have done it before Steve left). And now they think OH WOW the new iMac is thinner and has lightening bolt, a little faster, sexier, - who gives a crap! The world WANTS TO INTERACT WITH THERE MACHINES!!!! DUH!!!! STUPID FRUIT PEOPLE.

Don't drop the ball here fellas and be too snooty just because you feel you need to be to be "Steve'ish" It ain't going to happen. No one at Apple is ever going to be Steve Jobs again. But you guys still have an awesome company, team, and group of products. PLEASE STAY CURRENT AT LEAST (with consumers interaction needs). If you rule touch why in the world would you leave it off your number one desktop computer? It blows my mind.

Ah.... of course.... maybe it's this simple. You are scared. If you put it in desktops people would scream PUT IT IN MY MACBOOK PRO/AIR!!! And then you would fear losing iPad sales. Well if you think like that you have already have lost! And its time to sell your APPLE stock boys. Because if you think like that you think like losers. I really fear you are about to lose market share without touch (and clever Windows 8 marketing - and I haven't even test driven their software).

PUT TOUCH ON THE iMacs!!!! Apple is for creative people. We want to touch our screens and play. We have all been Apple artist waiting to touch our computers and make them smile since 1984!!

Give iMac Touch Now! :eek:

:apple: Pat

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
There have been a number of threads on this. How would you keep a 27" touch screen clean? Only way you can use a 27" would be flat down, otherwise your arms and wrists would be screaming in 10 minutes. And a large touch screen would be expensive.

G

goodlittlesquid

This post made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Tom J

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
Midwest
You said you've been waiting for two years for a touch screen iMac. If you had been following the rumor sites, the collective consensus has been that wasn't going to be one and that still holds true going forward. People thought Blu-ray was a slam dunk for the next iMac, ...and the next iMac.

Apple designs products and features for what it feels the majority of customers want. Not to mention that they are trying to meet a price point.

There are options for you to use an iPad as an input device for your iMac which is FAR more ergonomically comfortable than a touch screen.

G

goodlittlesquid

My, my...such a well reasoned and thoughtful response. It certainly presents rational arguments worthy of further discussion. :rolleyes:

Some statements/opinions do not warrant engagement in rational argument or debate. If someone comes up to you and tells you 'the sky is orange. not blue.' It is probably better just to say 'well that's stupid' than to attempt to engage in rational debate.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
To the OP: Try holding your arms up to a 27" display for a few hours. Then try doing it for an entire day. Yeah, it's stupid and painful on your arms.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The problem with a touch screen of imac sizes is they need to be horizontal, not vertical. It'd be too bothersome to be constantly bending in to touch something on the screen. We'd all be blind after a year or two.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
This would be awesome for graphic designers, animators, and game designers but I doubt Apple will ever release such a product. I definitely wouldn't be willing to fork over an additional $500 premium or more just for a touch screen, it is absolutely absurd, unless the screen is precise enough to draw accurate works. Also, if Apple were to do this, they would need to redesign the entire machine to make an adjustable height and rotatable for effective use.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
The answer is that if you want an Apple device that you use by touching the screen the answer is the iPad. iOS is designed for touch interfaces. MacOS is not. It's that simple.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Have you ever actually used OSX? Take a closer look at the OS and imagine using it with your finger. Window controls, toolbar buttons, the menubar, and other controls are all designed for interaction with a mouse, not with a finger.

Apple would have to undertake a very big UI change to make OSX work well on touch screens.

As a matter of fact they have already done this to an extent. Apple's version of OSX with a UI designed from the ground up for use on touch screen devices is called iOS.

I guess they could always release a 27" iPad.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I work for a company that does a lot of touchscreen design, primarily digital signage/directories and interactive presentations. We've got an HP all-in-one touchscreen unit for in office demos when needed and I've played with it on many occasions.

It's neat, but there is honestly zero use for it other than for a graphic/painting app. There's nothing remotely functional that ships with it, the coolest thing is a photo slide show you can flip through. Ooh.

It sounds great in concept, but there's a limited audience outside artists and designers for it and as others have mentioned it would require some sort of pivoting screen. I'd imagine the marketshare isn't significant enough for Apple to target.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2007
I don't think a touch screen iMac would work. Use case is totally different from an iPhone or an iPad. When you use an iMac, you do it sitting down, laying back and at a 3 or so feet distance from the screen. If you stretch your arm you usually can't touch the screen. In order to use a 21 or 27 inch iMac as a touch screen you'll need to lean forward and get closer to the screen and have your arm constantly up, and then when you want to type something, an on screen keyboard would be very tedious to use and so you'll be constantly leaning forward and backward as you switch between touching stuff on the screen and typing in the keyboard. You''ll also be constantly thinking about using the touchscreen or the keyboard/mice to do stuff while you use the iMac, very uncomfortable and unproductive. Doesn't feels natural.

Lastly, iOS was a completely new design made from the ground up with touch input in mind. OS X is not, it is designed for keyboard and mice input. For a touchscreen iMac to work in the first place OS X would have to be completely redesigned to be like iOS.

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
I think that touchscreen desktops are a bad idea. I bought a touchscreen monitor for an old PC and I stopped using it within a week. It's just uncomfortable whether it's sitting vertical or horizontal.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Why doesn't Apple make new iMac Touch (screen)??!?
Simple. Having your arm outstretched to touch the screen for any length of time would be very tiresome for the arm. And secondly multitouch in a display that large is sure to be rather expensive.

dallasdad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Dallas
For all you that say this cannot be made or is a bad idea....

http://www.wacom.com/creative/products/pen-displays/cintiq/cintiq-24hd-touch

Go check it out artists. Why can't the iMac do this - a separate model for artist is what I was getting at? One you can take down off of stand (I said that for those that were complaining about reach in all responses) and place in lap or on table and draw?

Mac should have this device inside a mac computer for designers. They started their company based on the creative people company. For years ALL design shops only used MACS.

I was only saying there is NO excuse for Apple not have a mac that you can design directly on the screen. And I mean design - not play and click icons.:apple:

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I was only saying there is NO excuse for Apple not have a mac that you can design directly on the screen. And I mean design - not play and click icons.:apple:

:) Sure there is an excuse. OS X is not designed for touch. If you want like this, you are better off hoping for a massive iPad.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
For those who want it, just use a PC. Doesn't look like Apple ever want to make touch-screen desktops and laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.