Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h1kar1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
Los angeles
Hey guys.

Does anyone know if Apple will be release leather smartcovers for the iPad mini any time soon?

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
Hey guys.

Does anyone know if Apple will be release leather smartcovers for the iPad mini any time soon?

I doubt it, but I would love leather in tan, black, and white :cool:

Tan is my favorite on the 9.7"

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
We'll only see leather if they can make the hinge leather. It's safe to assume the hinge is poly so it doesn't scratch the back of the iPad.

DoctorYuyi

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
why? Apple products are always overpriced :D

I disagree. I am not an Apple fan-boy but I prefer iOS over Android by far (the only reason I joined to forum is to have a release for my excitement for the iPad mini.) Mainly because of how many apps I invested in even before Android became popular.

Anyways, with Apple you get high quality. You pay extra for that. Personally, I wouldn't spend extra on a laptop for high quality but I would for a tablet. Logical, right?

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
We'll only see leather if they can make the hinge leather. It's safe to assume the hinge is poly so it doesn't scratch the back of the iPad.

they make the mini smart covers with microfiber on the bottom and polyurethane on the outside

same with the leather on the 9.7" smart covers with microfiber on the bottom

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
they make the mini smart covers with microfiber on the bottom and polyurethane on the outside

same with the leather on the 9.7" smart covers with microfiber on the bottom

I know. I've had both for the iPad. I meant that the Mini's leather needs to be identical to the poly. No metal touching the Mini at all. It would probably wreak havoc on the slate.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
I know. I've had both for the iPad. I meant that the Mini's leather needs to be identical to the poly. No metal touching the Mini at all. It would probably wreak havoc on the slate.

i don't see why they can't, even if they have to cover the metal with more microfiber rather than leather

the only thing i don't like about the mini poly cover is the way that little sliver bends over. i wonder how long it takes to eventually tear

there's no fear of tearing with the metal hinge

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
i don't see why they can't, even if they have to cover the metal with more microfiber rather than leather

the only thing i don't like about the mini poly cover is the way that little sliver bends over. i wonder how long it takes to eventually tear

there's no fear of tearing with the metal hinge

What little silver? Mine doesn't arrive until tomorrow so I haven seem one in person yet.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2012
Damn, I much prefer the leather covers. Any update on if they'll be available? Doesn't seem like it at the present...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.