Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
I have an iphone now and plan to get an android phone or windows phone, possibly even change carrier. My current phone number will be ported to the new phone. However, I want to keep my iphone active, either with a data only SIM or one of those prepaid sims. The iphone will get a new phone number, however, can I still send and receive imessages with the old number on the iphone?

Thanks.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I have an iphone now and plan to get an android phone or windows phone, possibly even change carrier. My current phone number will be ported to the new phone. However, I want to keep my iphone active, either with a data only SIM or one of those prepaid sims. The iphone will get a new phone number, however, can I still send and receive imessages with the old number on the iphone?

Thanks.

No, I just checked for you.

The old number will be unavailable for iMessage, you'd need to use the new one that ships with the SIM.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Thanks for the reply. Out of curiosity, do iPads with 3G or 4G have Phone numbers assOciated with iMessage?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
the best way to use ft and imessage is to set the sender id from your email instead. because this will never change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.