Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:10 AM   #1
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

What to buy my wife for Christmas?

I could really do with some help on this one. I've been married 15 years and I have no clue what to get my wife this year. Last year I got her an iPad and she loved it. I've ordered the new one to stop my daughter borrowing it all the time for her Christmas present. Obviously I have asked my wife what she wants, but get the don't worry about me speech. I would really like to get her something nice. Back in the day you could buy CD's or DVD's, but now with digital music and film an iTunes voucher is not much of a gift to open.
She does have a list of things not to buy which is as follows.
Clothes
Jewellery
Perfume
I offered to get her a new phone (or give her my old 4 when I upgraded) but she has a cheap dumb phone which she likes because she feels safe as nobody would want to steal it. (Samsung D600 from about 10 years back!)
Any suggestions greatly received. Looking to spend around 100.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:49 AM   #2
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

It is too early for a xmas thread. Shame on you.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:06 AM   #3
leenak
macrumors 68000

Is their a hobby she has? I have to say I'm incredibly hard to buy for and if my husband had the option, I'd have tons of jewelry. We don't really do gifts, maybe small items. But some flowers and a card is a nice gesture.
leenak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
It is too early for a xmas thread. Shame on you.
Too early? I went Chritmas decoration shopping today (not my choice of activity)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leenak View Post
Is their a hobby she has? I have to say I'm incredibly hard to buy for and if my husband had the option, I'd have tons of jewelry. We don't really do gifts, maybe small items. But some flowers and a card is a nice gesture.
Flowers are on her no list. I'll get her some chocolates, but want to get her something nice as well.
She doesn't really have a hobby. She does puzzles but has loads and is quite particular about design.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post
Too early? I went Chritmas decoration shopping today (not my choice of activity)

----------

Flowers are on her no list. I'll get her some chocolates, but want to get her something nice as well.
She doesn't really have a hobby. She does puzzles but has loads and is quite particular about design.
I sympathise. I am also hard to buy for and have strong likes and dislikes. Flowers are on my absolute 'no' list, as well, and they smack of desperation or a lack of imagination. To be honest, I'd also rule out chocolates unless your wife actually likes them. Personally, I loathe chocolates unless they are the really dark, bitter ones (and, even then, don't much care for them); most people have this silly idea that women love 'sweet' things, hence sickly sweet, chocolates.

Perfume and jewellery are the sort of things someone loves or loathes; your wife clearly falls into the latter camp, or prefers to buy them herself.

Re clothes, although I understand that she has ruled them out, are there any particular or specific items that she has, and loves, and might like again - or might welcome a contribution towards? (Such as a leather jacket, cashmere pullover, a pair of worn out but loved boots?)

I would look to see what her interests, or hobbies are. I'm a reader, and music lover; book tokens and music tokens never fail to be met with pleasure (unless someone knows my preferences, or I request it, I prefer to buy my books myself); likewise, good Italian red wine never goes amiss. Is she a reader? Would she like a Kindle?

If she loved the iPad, why not get her this year's updated model? Or the smaller one, if she likes nifty devices? You mentioned phones, but, has she an iPod? I never go anywhere without mine - it is always either in my briefcase or rucksack, or in my pocket being played.

Meanwhile, best of luck with it.
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple fanboy View Post

----------

How about a custom puzzle of a favorite or special picture from a family vacation, trip, gathering, etc...?
184550 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:31 PM   #7
jf1450
macrumors member

I'm thinking if she loves her iPad she'd also love an iPhone 5. My wife just became eligible for an upgrade so that'll be replacing her 4.
jf1450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:34 PM   #8
LizKat
macrumors 68020

Does she like to read books (hard copy ones)? How about an elegant bookmark. Sometimes museum gift shops have them. I got one for a friend who likes unicorn images, there was a gold-colored metallic bookmark with a colored image on it, from that famous tapestry with a unicorn on it, at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NY. It was really beautiful.
LizKat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:16 AM   #9
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
How about a custom puzzle of a favorite or special picture from a family vacation, trip, gathering, etc...?
A custom puzzle from a photo? That sounds like a good idea. I didn't even think of that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepticalscribe View Post
I sympathise. I am also hard to buy for and have strong likes and dislikes. Flowers are on my absolute 'no' list, as well, and they smack of desperation or a lack of imagination. To be honest, I'd also rule out chocolates unless your wife actually likes them. Personally, I loathe chocolates unless they are the really dark, bitter ones (and, even then, don't much care for them); most people have this silly idea that women love 'sweet' things, hence sickly sweet, chocolates.

Perfume and jewellery are the sort of things someone loves or loathes; your wife clearly falls into the latter camp, or prefers to buy them herself.

Re clothes, although I understand that she has ruled them out, are there any particular or specific items that she has, and loves, and might like again - or might welcome a contribution towards? (Such as a leather jacket, cashmere pullover, a pair of worn out but loved boots?)

I would look to see what her interests, or hobbies are. I'm a reader, and music lover; book tokens and music tokens never fail to be met with pleasure (unless someone knows my preferences, or I request it, I prefer to buy my books myself); likewise, good Italian red wine never goes amiss. Is she a reader? Would she like a Kindle?

If she loved the iPad, why not get her this year's updated model? Or the smaller one, if she likes nifty devices? You mentioned phones, but, has she an iPod? I never go anywhere without mine - it is always either in my briefcase or rucksack, or in my pocket being played.

Meanwhile, best of luck with it.
She loves her iPod shuffle. She uses it when out shopping or waiting to pick up our daughter from school.
As for her interests, she spends most of her time looking after our autistic daughter. That doesn't leave a lot of free time. What she does have she uses to read books about Autism and therapy and stuff. She is a very dedicated mum. She buys and sells on eBay, but again mostly for our daughter. She doesn't drink at all but does like chocolate. I know which brands she likes so I'll get those.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Tags
christmas, gift, presents, wife